Remember Wing Line?

Broads01

This brochure on ebay (£20 starting bid no les!) took me back 30 years http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wing-Line-Norfolk-Broads-Boating-Holiday-Brochure-1986-Boats-Caracruisers-MTB-/282205995551?nav=SEARCH

I remember Wing Line as being more distinctive boats than most. The dual steer Super Wings was before its time I feel. Heh - as this brochure shows you could even hire a torpedo boat!

Alas, they were one of many along the dyke at Brundall that are long gone.

Yes indeed Harvey Eastwood was the first boatyard on the left as you turned in to the dyke and was visible from the main river.

Jill, I'd be interested to know the year your map dates from. I hadn't heard of Mitre Craft who according to the map occupied the site Silverline now have. I'd forgotten Brister Craft were once in Brundall. They moved to Wroxham in the early 1980s. Its interesting also that in the days of the map Brooms weren't the only yard on the main river as they had Bell Boats next door.

• Like 1

somewhere in the depths of the forum I posted the full map but I cant track it at the moment so I will re post it here.

there are several pages that concertina out along the journey, so I will try and post them in order

there is no sign of a date on the map so I was also wondering when it was.

ive just found the second map that covers coltishall to great Yarmouth.

I will scan it and post both in the historic section later.

ive googled the details and nothing is coming up.

avness 2 - way chart .... canal and river series

an a.v. navigation systems publication

4 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

We had Beaver Sundancer (I think it was) in 1983 - an Aquafibre 42 c/c.

I remember the Super Wings, funny looking things. Didn't Alan Johnson have some too that ended up at Ricko's, or were they the same boats?

Yes Skipper the Foleys kept two after they changed the water tanks from steel to stainless steel. I hired Shogun think it was called, a very clever passage from the saloon to the stern bedroom. The bed was very low but a very good sized shower ensuite.

Great views from the upper helm, but a nightmare from indoors, handling wise. The steps down to the saloon were steep though.

cheersIain

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For some bizarre reason, it came to mind, those pig ugly Super wing things were based on a Seammaster 34 hull, with a custom top, anybody else know anything like that, i seem to remember one being for sale, and listed as a Seamaster 34?.  I also remember reading on the forum (i think) that somebody had written a post stating Winglines boats wer NOT to be recommended. Again, the marbles might be playing tricks, but i did hear from a well known yard owner that they were not in the best of condition?.

I like this  original idea: "Qualify for a Wing Line Exemplary Skippers Certificate and get all future bookings at 10% less" something that would be welcomed by other yards today - I presume it meant doing some kind of test perhaps part theory and part practical, being issued with some kind of certificate and not only does one have the feeling of pride - but a saving int he bag for future bookings too.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I like this  original idea: "Qualify for a Wing Line Exemplary Skippers Certificate and get all future bookings at 10% less" something that would be welcomed by other yards today - I presume it meant doing some kind of test perhaps part theory and part practical, being issued with some kind of certificate and not only does one have the feeling of pride - but a saving int he bag for future bookings too.

I wonder what the cost of such a scheme would be, and how long would it last?. If was only for a year, then you`d have to hire several times a year to make it financially viable. Something a lot of working families could ill afford.

If it was an ongoing scheme, then yes, it would be a good idea, but would tie you to the same yard for several years, not a good thing if it turns out the boats are not up to scratch. 

Richardsons loyalty scheme is free to operate, but gives you a discount after 6 (i believe?) hires over time.