Check Where You're Allowed To Go In A Day Boat

loribear

To anyone wanting to hire a dayboat , always check where you can go , we went with jb boats  & hired lady laura which is a very low boat , THAT LOW that i banged my head 4 times ouch lol . But we found out that we were limited as to where we could go , he would'nt let us go under potter bridge  or  wroxham bridge which he said was an insurance thing , which seemt stupid to me as there would'nt have been any problems getting under it at all . Here is a pic of the boat. Lori

tmp_28872-20160925_101123-2056955599.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

OOOOH!!!  Don't let the Ranger catch you - moored to the fender and blocking access to the safety ladder!!!

It's ok bobdog it was our fender we tied up as the rope was'nt long enough to tie at both ends , which was stupid, they should at least give you enough rope on the boats,  they charge enough lol.

14 minutes ago, Bobdog said:

OOOOH!!!  Don't let the Ranger catch you - moored to the fender and blocking access to the safety ladder!!!

I'm more concerned about that blessed crushed concrete. As one who often boats bare footed, sometimes clambers ashore on my knees, I do object to the thoughtless and inconsiderate use of that stuff. Far greater crime to boating than partially blocking the safety ladder, i.m.h.o.. 

Just a thought, possibly Lori was hoping that the ranger would be tall, dark and handsome, and into fluffy handcuffs and into punishment being administered by hand! Errrr, oh, so that's Gracie's speciality!

• Like 9

If you had asked the yard for more detail, my guess is it is nothing to do with the height of the bridge but more to do with the weed above both bridges. They just do not wish to attend a blocked water inlet - any excuse.

In the past both ther old Geo Smith and Fineway had imposed those conditions because of weed - stupid really when there is little above Potter and above Wroxham only some when they have just cut it!!!

9 hours ago, loribear said:

It's ok bobdog it was our fender we tied up as the rope was'nt long enough to tie at both ends , which was stupid, they should at least give you enough rope on the boats,  they charge enough lol.

Not talking about your fender!  That big wooden post nearest to the ladder is not a mooring post, it's a fender to prevent boats hitting and damaging the ladder.  You're not supposed to tie up to it :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Viking23 said:

Why a red ensign, I thought only private boats had those?

Was a time when many hire boats wore an ensign, trouble is hirers kept them as souvenirs! If the staff was also nicked then it was an expensive job to replace hence most hire yards desisted with the practice, The other problem was that folk would use the staffs as supports and they were not made for that, post broke and punter plummeted into the tide, whoops.

Compared to how some folks tie up ,  I think you have tied up very well.   Love the photo.    Where did you go on your trip that day?       

Not that you would tie up here with a day boat, but Polkeys Mill ,  it has wooden posts dotted along the front of the mooring, some folk tie up to these and get one awful shock when trying to leave and find the ropes have slipped down the post and not for any love nor money can you shift the bu.gers.     It happened in front of us at Polkeys, a Faircraft Loynes moored had tied to the front posts and not the inner mooring posts.   When they went to leave , could they get the ropes to release , no.    It was a right game to release them.  The tide had dropped thus pulling the boat away and the ropes tighter and tighter.    In the end thanks for a chap who was obviously a Rugby player and his strength he managed to pull the boat up and with a lot of tugging and swearing the rope freed up momentarily and with luck someone was able to release the rope.   It was nearly a case of cut the ropes otherwise there would have been problems.    The rope was pulling on the cleats something terrible and they were nearly being pulled out.     As the boat was released one end of course it swung around and hit us who were moored behind theirs.    That created the next problem,  we were now involved as their boat was resting on ours.   Our poor boat taking all the stress.  You really could not make it up.

If it had not have been for this strong chap on a Richardsons Broadsman I think it was all manner of problems would have been encountered.   What with the strong tide there and the wind at the time, not a good scenario.

• Like 1

Being a boat operator who's suffered damage at Wroxham bridge (once at the hands of the Pilot, I might add) I suspect that this restriction is purely down to the likelihood of damage on the bridge. 

As for policing, I believe that JB Boats takes some kind of deposit. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hylander said:

Compared to how some folks tie up ,  I think you have tied up very well.   Love the photo.    Where did you go on your trip that day?       

Not that you would tie up here with a day boat, but Polkeys Mill ,  it has wooden posts dotted along the front of the mooring, some folk tie up to these and get one awful shock when trying to leave and find the ropes have slipped down the post and not for any love nor money can you shift the bu.gers.     It happened in front of us at Polkeys, a Faircraft Loynes moored had tied to the front posts and not the inner mooring posts.   When they went to leave , could they get the ropes to release , no.    It was a right game to release them.  The tide had dropped thus pulling the boat away and the ropes tighter and tighter.    In the end thanks for a chap who was obviously a Rugby player and his strength he managed to pull the boat up and with a lot of tugging and swearing the rope freed up momentarily and with luck someone was able to release the rope.   It was nearly a case of cut the ropes otherwise there would have been problems.    The rope was pulling on the cleats something terrible and they were nearly being pulled out.     As the boat was released one end of course it swung around and hit us who were moored behind theirs.    That created the next problem,  we were now involved as their boat was resting on ours.   Our poor boat taking all the stress.  You really could not make it up.

If it had not have been for this strong chap on a Richardsons Broadsman I think it was all manner of problems would have been encountered.   What with the strong tide there and the wind at the time, not a good scenario.

Hi hylander we only managed to go to ludham for breakfast which was huge , & then onto to ranworth broad as we had to get back to the yard for 4pm , which was right across from our houseboat .

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

You say houseboat Lorraine  where was this ,  Wroxham, Horning, Beccles etc.     We are interested for some of our family members who like houseboats.  Did you find it good.   Has anyone hired a houseboat from Hippersons?

It was at horning hylander , nice houseboat but you have to strip your bed before you leave & the signal is non existent on 3. Here's a few piccies. Lori

tmp_14717-20160929_184845-875850827.jpg

tmp_14717-20160924_143834821685507.jpg

• Like 5

Oh dear I have just gone over to 3 from EE. We also have 3 mifi. Mind you we all know Horning has yet to arrive into modern times. It languishes in the 70s as far as communication is concerned.

We always strip the beds anyway to make sure they are changed but you don't expect to be told to do it.

The houseboat looks lovely, was it up one of side waters.

Was the bed Kingsize? Another thing that Horning struggles with. Who wants to sleep in a double bed these days. Well not when you are in your 70s. May be adjoining houseboats would be an idea. lol:shocked

Thank you for the photos.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Oh dear I have just gone over to 3 from EE. We also have 3 mifi. Mind you we all know Horning has yet to arrive into modern times. It languishes in the 70s as far as communication is concerned.

We always strip the beds anyway to make sure they are changed but you don't expect to be told to do it.

The houseboat looks lovely, was it up one of side waters.

Was the bed Kingsize? Another thing that Horning struggles with. Who wants to sleep in a double bed these days. Well not when you are in your 70s. May be adjoining houseboats would be an idea. lol:shocked

Thank you for the photos.

Hi hylander i'm afraid it was only a double bed , & it had two singles too , not sure how many the other cabin had ,there are quite a few houses to rent in that area though.& yes it was just off of the river , it was just down from that white windmill , which i was told you can also rent. Lori

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Viking23 said:

Why a red ensign, I thought only private boats had those?

there were two of the small boats which had a flag on but not sure why lol.& i can't seem to put anymore piccies on here to show you , tried with both fone & lappy. lori

3 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

River Lodge Looks very nice - have passed this on to my Mum who recently hired 'Secret Water' from Hippersons at Beccles - basic, clean and affordable.

How can they call it Secret Water when it's very prominently moored in the river bang opposite a very public river bank? 

That boat must be about sixty years old! I once gybed a sailing boat a tad too close and my boom knocked out three windows. I was a callow youth at the time!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, andyhesford said:

does anybody know if herbert woods picnic boats can be taken under potters bridge, there is nothing on their web site about any limits.

To be really sure, best to phone them, it would be no great hardship for Herbert Woods to arrange the start and end of your hire to be from the other side of the bridge, or use their staff to take it through the bridge for you. Make it a condition of your hire, or take your business elsewhere. Whispering Reeds at Hickling, hire out a picnic boat called Bittern, there used to be a place at Martham Ferry, that had a couple of picnic boats, not sure if they are still doing that now. Martham boats also rent out various boats, worth a call.

• Like 3