Broads Beat Meeting Tomorrow

Wildfuzz

Hi Stuart,

Because we are getting towards to end of the season and some people are looking as if they will be not visiting their boats for a few months. The chance of damage or their boats being broken into will be rife.

Can the various agencies have an active presence on the rivers during the winter months?

Regards

Alan 

Security stickers for the boat complete with relevant telephone numbers of who to contact on which numbers about what. And I wouldn't mind paying for it. A sign with POLICE written on it is one of the best deterrents of casual criminality I've come across.

For example the old Police Angling club sign I have at the fishery has stopped all break ins into our storage since the day I put it up, and there wasn't a month go by we were not broken into prior to me putting up the signage.I actually watched a group of dodgy blokes pull up in a van, see the sign, think better of their plan and drive away.

I use the same idea on my shed at home a discreet yellow sign with POLICE warning on it. The gardens either side have been targeted but not mine.

• Like 2

Well the meeting was good, lacking the usual biscuits though as Paul from Broads Beat is away in Malta. I mentioned the above regarding stickers etc., the best advice is to register with Boatshield via the Police website, also the SelectaDNA Marine kit can help recover a vessel and its contents in the event of theft, besides helping to deter any theft. By marking each valuable item with SelectaDNA – a formula of DNA, UV tracer and microdots – and displaying a warning sticker on the boat, then the chances of theft are reduced. If you have an outboard the covers are proving very effective in deterring thefts. Most of all advertise the measures you have taken with the supplied stickers.

Patrols will continue 365 days a year, however they are reduced over the winter period by the BA rangers due to seasonal staffing and other winter work such a tree clearance, so the guys are more likely to be out in work boats and not the usual rangers craft.

Not wishing to talk it up but we have had a quiet year in 2016, long may it continue.

• Like 4

Ah yes there was one other thing, following the two recent deaths linked to Carbon Monoxide poisoning the accident investigators have requested examples of alarm activations and the circumstances in which the alarms were activated. I believe their concerns are over the activations caused by other boats running there engines etc. So if you have any factual examples please pass them to me for collation and I will forward to them. If you could include contact details in case the investigators need to clarify anything I would be grateful. Please send to my secure email address

does@norfolk.pnn.police.uk.

Thanks

S.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wildfuzz said:

Ah yes there was one other thing, following the two recent deaths linked to Carbon Monoxide poisoning the accident investigators have requested examples of alarm activations and the circumstances in which the alarms were activated. I believe their concerns are over the activations caused by other boats running there engines etc. So if you have any factual examples please pass them to me for collation and I will forward to them. If you could include contact details in case the investigators need to clarify anything I would be grateful. Please send to my secure email address

does@norfolk.pnn.police.uk.

Thanks

S.

I raised this a few months ago, on this forum, for peope to contact the BSS and Broads Authority, not sure if anything happened, but it is a very serious threat.

We triggered our own carbon monoxide monitor in the cabin, it was a still day, we were slowly cruising towards Wroxham bridge, canopy down, the carbon monoxide fumes were coming up from our petrol outboard, drifting across the rear cockpit and entering the cabin, as most will know, if a forward hatch is open on a cabin then the ventilation will be from the rear towards the hatch where it exits. Clearly this was the route for the CO. 

There is much more CO produced by petrol engines than a regularly serviced diesel engine, so I would expect there to be more instances near petrol driven boats. 

Richard

• Like 1