Horizoncraft On The Move

BB37

We're often out in the winter and have seen the Horizon craft going back and forth from Stalham. They seem to be piloted  individually. I would imagine if they were breasted they would have problems with Ludham Bridge. I suspect they are done in batches, I don't think they are all moved at the same time.

But as usual I could be wrong :-) 

16 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Tan & I saw them doubled up leaving Acle when we used to be moored on the Northern Rivers.

So much to be seen out of the usual season.

Regards

Alan

I guess one person can drive two boats at once effectively. Ludham Bridge would have to ne taken one boat at a time but that's the only tricky point I guess. I wouldn't want to meet them coming the other way on the Ant though!

8 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I guess one person can drive two boats at once effectively. Ludham Bridge would have to ne taken one boat at a time but that's the only tricky point I guess. I wouldn't want to meet them coming the other way on the Ant though!

I can't see a problem on the Ant, we often encounter Richardson's boats two a breast, one usually overtaking the other flat out. 

We have learnt to avoid travelling back to Stalham on Friday and Saturday afternoons.

Richardson's can release over 100 boats in one hire session, no wonder the Ant gets clogged with boats, especially at Ludham bridge.

What surprises me is that the Broads Authority allow Richardson's to have the whole fleet in one place. Surely it would have been better to have the fleet spread around, some at Acle, some at Horning.

I have spoken to a few private moorers in Stalham

• Like 1

Oh Honestly !!!!!

I don't know how some of you would have managed in the 70s when the big yards were REALLY busy on a Saturday. Back then there were far more boats all being released between 14:00 and 17:00. Hundreds of the blighters. Mostly novices, All the gear, no idea. and all having fun, all enjoying themselves, all dashing off to try to get a pub-side mooring.

In those days as you cruised there would be boats ahead of you and boats behind you almost all the time full of novice crew each and every one wearing a smile because they loved it.

Those were the days when many of us first started our love affair with the place, hiring a basic boat where the TV was the height of mod-cons. Public moorings were anywhere where it didn't say "Private" Boatyards were the only places where you'd find piling and mooring posts, everywhere else was a mud bank and rhond anchors. and still the novices smiled.

Ok, so there are now fewer boatyards, many of the smaller ones are going and lots of their boats are going to the larger boatyards. That still won't mean that places like the Ant and Ludham bridge will be anywhere near as busy as they were back in the 70s.

• Like 5

I must be bucking the trend as I can't wait to get RT back in the water and back up the Ant. For the last couple of years I've been slogging away at trying, and failing, to make headway on RT's restoration. In those years I've got to know the Broads quite well by road so to speak. In and out of locations to collect tools and materials. Its a side of the Broads I do so enjoy...walking into a pub and they know who I am and what I drink! Then a few months ago Doug, BrundallNavy, invited Arbi, who works with me, and I aboard Nipper one Saturday afternoon. We met up at Richardsons.

Holidaymakers, tourists, boats, kids, dogs, sailing boats, motor boats, hire boats, canoes, rowboats, privateers, chatter, noise, laughter, hirers on trial runs, hirers setting off on their holidays, boats going too fast, boats going too slow, boat hitting the bankside shrubs (private boat), boat hitting the dockside wall (private boat again), excitement, pi rate flags, Captain's hats, fishing rods and diesel fumes and water...everywhere! This was the Broads I fell in love with, this was the feeling I remember as a kid. Idyllic...almost poetry...brought back my passion for the Broads... and probably why I've been pestering Doug about planking, varnish, paint, timber, heating systems and the like. You know what they say in the boat sheds "A friend in need ois a jip in thur bum!"...and so is a fifty year old bloke trying to recapture his childhood I suppose!

• Like 8