The Waveney Oulton Broad

Chelsea14Ian

Since the spring I have had a loyalty card with the pub,which is handy.During our hols the bill for our meal and drinks was £36.00 With the card it went down to £30.00.Worth it even if like us we rarely get there,

They send me texts every day letting me know whats on offer,events entertainment etc.Today they told me that they will be leaving the pub on the 26 october,the last day being the 25.They go on to say that Enterprise Inns  rejected there 5 year plan.Instead have enter into a agreemant with David Moss,who intends to convert the pub into a burger bar.As far as I am concerned,this is a very sad state of affairs.This years the loos and kitchen have been re done and a new menu.Now replace with a burger bar.Why on earth they have done that.I know that the lady of the lake don't do food and the wherry is okay,but the last time we went there even thou it was not that busy,they mucked up our order.

• Like 5

British Steel, British Sports Cars, British Motor Cycles, British Coal, British Ship Building, British Machine Tools. Once ruled the World.  

Sadly the British Pub is victim to the same fate.

Market Forces & EBIT. 

• Like 1

There was, Steve, it either wasn't open or didn't look open and with tinted glass windows never looked inviting. Great shame because it actually did good meals. There's a well established burger restaurant in Lowestoft called Sgt Peppers, great place and excellent atmosphere, especially if you like 60/70's music, goes to show what can be achieved with a humble burger. Unfortunately the closed burger bar never achieved the same success although I guess that they thought that they might provide some sort of competition since Oulton Broad is a popular venue for younger folk out on the booze. It's worth finding Sgt Peppers, always popular and with all age groups.

• Like 1

Very very sad news... There's already a burger and kebab shop just down the road already...

What a total waste of a pub... we stopped in there and had  a fantastic meal in September ... Excellent value ... fab food.. and very friendly we was so looking forward to going there next year... 

Such a shame .. :summertime:...

• Like 3

I have to say i liked the Waveney, as it was an honest pub selling honest pub food. Not what you could call cordon blue or whatever it is, but then, most of us want "a proper pub selling proper pub food". It seems to me in modern Britain, keeping traditionalists happy is a bit taboo, and we seem to be being "encouraged" to be promoting a younger more "dynamic"  society?.  Well sorry folks, count me right out, anybody can grille a burger and butter a bun, but it takes a certain skill to make a decent home made Fish pie, or cook Liver properly, and cook proper vegetables the way a customer likes them. These days, all you seem to see on the menus is hunters chicken, chicken tikka massala, nachos, and other interloping crap. Yes, i do like those i mention, but not on every menu, someone has to offer something, dare i say "different" being to a more traditional taste.

• Like 4

Have a look at the Commodore folks and then judge what Mr Moss is likely to do. For those, like my wife and I, who enjoy two meats and loads of veg then the Wherry is good and reasonable value. If you really want fine dining then ask the Yacht Station staff for directions to the Ivy Farm, that is very fine but thankfully not overpriced. Tis where we go for special occasions.

• Like 2