A Week Of Firsts On Pacific Grayling

Wonderwall

For the first time in a long time , myself and the boss headed on our own for a week on the broads , the first week of October.

As you have probably gathered it was a holiday of firsts on many counts.

It was the first time I had been on a cruiser twice in the same year, first time I had hired from Pacific ( and hopefully not the last), first time I had been to the broads in October, and as far as I'm aware I moored overnight at moorings I had never spent the night at before. I hadn't planned it that way, but after mooring somewhere different the first three nights , it then became a challenge and was surprisingly easy.

I left Bonnie Scotland around 4 am and arrived in Loddon about 12.30, a gentle chilled out no drama drive, the boat was ready and a lovely welcome from the owners and a very playful west highland terrier with bags of character. Sun was out, as was the beer before Reedham , a little stop over in Reedham for a contribution to the local boozer and cruised onto the 24 hours , deserted moorings not much past Somerleyton . ( the name escapes me and since as usual I wrote nothing down I'm doing this from memory!!) Got the fishing gear out and fed some fish. Played some cards but by 2130 I was wiped out and an early , happy night was had. A very happy contented chap slept very well. An early rise before the sun was out then a cruise towards oulton broad. Happy days.

heres some pics 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 9

We cruised in very pleasant weather and tied up at the Broadland holiday village. Lovely spot on the floating pontoon looking onto the broad, from a viewpoint I hadn't seen before.        Bit fishing then went for a swim in the leisure club, a walk into the town to investigate where to eat and got caught in a serious downpour . Took shelter in the pub for a quick one then decided to eat on site and stay where we were moored as it was perfect.

Had a okayish meal in club room , then fished under a big floodlight in the marina while Elaine read a book.  Bliss. Just a small jacket on , the weather was being very kind.

Up next morning and another quick swim and then a lovely cruise up towards beccles. Moored in the yacht station and wandered around beccles until huger got the better of us and into the bear and bells for a 1st class lunch. Back on board and got moorings all to ourselves around cove ( started with a W???) on the Waveney. Fishing, beer, rum, cheese and biscuits , dominoes and darts. It really dosent get better does it!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Hi Wonderwall glad you enjoyed your holiday you looked like you were enjoying yourselfs on your first night as we met you on the quite mooring near somerleyton (we came in to moor as it was going dark with the yellow Labrador )

it was a great to talk to you and a good  week weather wise which we enjoyed as well.

looking forward to hearing the rest of your week

Regards John

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

Hi Wonderwall glad you enjoyed your holiday you looked like you were enjoying yourselfs on your first night as we met you on the quite mooring near somerleyton (we came in to moor as it was going dark with the yellow Labrador )

it was a great to talk to you and a good  week weather wise which we enjoyed as well.

looking forward to hearing the rest of your week

Regards John

Was a pleasure to meet you also. Nice friendly wee hello and chat, it's what the broads is all about. You were away sharp in the morning, don't think I seen you and I was was up early ( for me!!)

Braw dog and boat :bow, never seen your mrs so can't comment, I'm sure she was lovely too!!!:naughty:

neil

Hi Neil have to admit never heard that expression before (Braw)

but we are sat hear laughing any way as I'm sure it means nice ! Even the Mrs

We got away early as there was no were to take the dog for a good walk so went to Oulton Broad for a good run around the park.

sorry we didn't met up later in the week  (maybe next time) as we could have had a proper natter over a beer or 2 !

John

Here John is the translation...... Btw he's a braw lad tae except fur the team he supports ! :naughty:

braw
brɔː/
adjective
SCOTTISH
  1. fine, good, or pleasing.
    "it was a braw day"
13 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

Hi Neil have to admit never heard that expression before (Braw)

but we are sat hear laughing any way as I'm sure it means nice ! Even the Mrs

We got away early as there was no were to take the dog for a good walk so went to Oulton Broad for a good run around the park.

sorry we didn't met up later in the week  (maybe next time) as we could have had a proper natter over a beer or 2 !

John

cheersIain

• Like 1

I would agree about the service from Pacific.  All with a smile as well. Very impressed.

We took a fairly long cruise up brundall next day, via rockland . Weather was dull but warm and dry. Asked the chap in brooms if we could moor in yard for short while and he pointed to reserved sign in prime position on main river and said we could stay there all night if we wanted. It was perfect again.  The sun came out , I fished then we went to the yare for tea , which again was very good and reasonable priced. Back to the boat passing some just amazing broom boats. Stunning, how the other half live!!  Our perfect little boat looking somewhat out of place alongside these floating palaces. 

A very quite peaceful night , a cruise up to Norwich next day , getting under the bridge and going via Norwich Thorpe . It's a long time since I cruised past that way and I must admit , I was stunned and disappointed at how uninviting it looked. My memories of it were a tranquil pleasing on the eye stop over. I couldn't really take in what I was seeing. It's like a river scrap yard at one point. Bizarre.

Went for a swim, lunch and a shop in Norwich then headed down to the small moorings just passed freedom boats I think. Perfect for fishing , apart from the fact I never got a bite in 4 hours!!  I did though see a bit slab of fish swim past around 15 pound I would reckon. Huge it was, though not interested in any of my offerings!!

Another lovely night but yet again I got a lesson in dominoes. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Lovely weather again,cruised back to Norwich for another swim, stopped off at the nature reserve / broad opposite Thorpe for the first time. Lunch in Norwich then a very slow cruise down to the moorings just before Brundall 

Very nice and tranquil , I took a walk into the village and was pulled into the ram by some magnetic like force so had to have a beer in there for the first time.:liar

Next and sadly our last full day was a cruise to Loddon, via the pub at Bramerton for lunch which was magnificent. We spent our last night at the moorings just before Pacific cruisers yard. We had it all to ourselves and the clear sky gave us some fantastic views of the night sky.

Another holiday nearly over, time flies here for such a slow paced place.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I will start the end? With a review of the boat and yard.

The boat was everything you could expect from , let's face it, one of the more affordable boats on offer. For sure it had wear and tear , and I'm sure if I just told it where to go it would have found its own way as its been up and down the broads so many times. But everything on it worked as it should, it handled like a dream , and was presented to us in perfect condition. I would hire it again without a doubt. 

I don't think it would lend itself to any more than 2 people, but I'm sure you would manage if you were prepared to travel light.

The boatyard, owners, staff and mad dog were 1st class. Friendly, welcoming, informative and professional. Some of the newer boats I seen on their relative small fleet were very tempting . As a small side note , and kind of sums up there attitude , I explained on handover that I had dropped the grill tray in the drink, and of course was willing to pay the cost . But they they just thanked my honesty and said these things happen .

I really took to the family ambience they had going and hope to hire from them again and recommend them to anyone who wishes to hire in the South.

The weather was beyond expectations, the Norfolk people their usual friendly selves. The food was mostly great and the very odd time even at worst , definitely passable.

The fishing was not at its best , but that is most likely down to my lack of skill and knowledge. It was still a very enjoyable pastime.

The beer was good , to a fault that I tried too much of stuff, but that's what holidays are for.

My holiday had it all, late nights, early nights ( ooh matron!!) early starts , long lies, drunk nights and sober ones ( well not drunk!!) 

A week down south was nice, it was very peaceful and I tied up,at a few places I hadn't stopped at before, or for a long time. I really took the pace slow, never once was I in a hurry and the revs were at a constant low. As much as I missed my 2 big kids (17 and 14 nearly) it was good only having ourselves to worry about. 

The broads is good for the soul, in many many ways. I am without a doubt , a better person when I'm there. And I always return actually feeling like I have had a break . I have a feeling I'm preaching to the converted here!!!

Circumstances tell me , I may not get back next summer with my squad, but me and SHMBO, might just sneak another early Autumn vist again. 

I live in hope!!!

Hope you have enjoyed my ramblings and none sense!!

all the best 

Neil

• Like 9

Sounds like you had a very good time. And always nice to hear about a boat and a yard that someone would go back to. Mind you I've often thought that if a first time hirer starts from Loddon then they will certainly have an interesting time navigating the Chet as their first go at handling a boat!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wonderwall, great write up, and some nice pics too.

Karen and i hired Grayling to attend one of the NBN October meets about 3 years back, but when we arrived, she was a bit keen to wallow from side to side because of her high upperworks, and narrowish beam, which Karen could feel, and made her a bit queezie, so we swapped her for Emerald. More spacious and much more stable, but the heater was crap, they replaced it the following year with a newer more powerful one.

If you wish to hire from Loddon again, and want something a bit different, Give Maffetts a try next to Pacifics. They run a couple of traditional all timber boats which are in beautiful condition, and very warm for early or late cruising.  Like Pacifics, they are a very friendly family yard.

That said, like you, i found Richard and Fiona Husband (the owners of Pacific Cruisers) really friendly, welcoming, and helpful, and if i ever needed to hire (we now have a share in Lightning), i WOULD`NT hesitate to use them again.  Their are 3 excellent indipendent yards on the southern rivers,

Maffett Cruisers and Pacific Cruisers in Loddon (well, Chedgrave to be honest), and Frredom Boating at Thorpe. Everybody who`s hired from these three yards have ALWAYS given them glowing feedback, for which they richly deserve.

• Like 4