New Chief Executive At The Broads Authority.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

I try and look after all my customers, so I think your comment about biting the hand that feeds is a bit wrong but purely your opinion. 

The new boats are very popular and as a percentage of hire/value you are correct that it is not a massive amount but a 35 year old boat of the same size which may only do 12 weeks at left than half the weekly tariff is a different  kettle of fish. 

I also like sailing but think the sailing boat toll is not exactly expensive am i a traitor in all directions? 

Please note that day boats have had a decent increase too. 

• Like 4

A matter of principle, Clive. I believe that I'm right in saying that several of the big sailing boats are seeing hikes of around 40%. Compared with the cost of a carbon mast it is nothing to fret over. The way the review's recommendations were accepted was surely not the Authority's finest hour.

Clive, you weren't at the Authority meeting, I was. As a result I have written the following to the EDP:

Dear Editor, please consider the following letter for inclusion in the Letters Page:

I don't suppose that us boaters would be so disappointed with the recent decision to change the way tolls are paid if we really had got a fair deal and had the management of the meeting been honest and equitable. 

Us boaters don't just want something for nothing but we do want our money well spent, we really need well made & wise decisions, we do want committees whose members read their briefing papers, we do want committees that lead the executive rather than an executive that leads the committees, we want fairness and balance in the presentation of officer reports, we want elected representation, we want a change of direction at the top, indeed we want a change at the top and we want a break from the UEA. The UEA may well be the home of academia in Norfolk but recent history has clearly shown that within its halls of learning there is a marked lack of empathy and real understanding of the real issues surrounding the Broads. 

The recent Broads Authority meeting was clearly lead from the top, reports were biased and unbalanced. For those of us who attended the meeting it was an eye opener as to how decisions are reached within Yare House.  Not the Broads Authority's finest hour I'm afraid. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Clive, you weren't at the Authority meeting, I was. As a result I have written the following to the EDP:

Well, I don't blame you for getting that off your chest, Peter.

Let us now sit back and see whether Archant will actually print criticism of their dear friends, the Broads Authority. 

On 22 November 2016 at 7:16 PM, JennyMorgan said:

A matter of principle, Clive. I believe that I'm right in saying that several of the big sailing boats are seeing hikes of around 40%. Compared with the cost of a carbon mast it is nothing to fret over. The way the review's recommendations were accepted was surely not the Authority's finest hour.

I am not sure what the hikes on the sailing boats are exactly but I do know the cost of running a boat like Raisena is not cheap, especially as the engine HP is over the limit to be classed as an auxiliary therefore attracting a full toll. 

a carbon mast or any rig is not cheap, ours was courtesy of our insurance company, a lot of hard work from all the owners, and  a lot of favours called in. 

Im not quite getting your point though Peter, you are saying sailing is expensive , motor boats are expensive  and the cost of  toll  is nothing to fret over? in which case i suppose you are right but perhaps it is the way the money is spent which is the problem, not the amount. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, C.Ricko said:

I am not sure what the hikes on the sailing boats are exactly but I do know the cost of running a boat like Raisena is not cheap, especially as the engine HP is over the limit to be classed as an auxiliary therefore attracting a full toll. 

a carbon mast or any rig is not cheap, ours was courtesy of our insurance company, a lot of hard work from all the owners, and  a lot of favours called in. 

Im not quite getting your point though Peter, you are saying sailing is expensive , motor boats are expensive  and the cost of  toll  is nothing to fret over? in which case i suppose you are right but perhaps it is the way the money is spent which is the problem, not the amount. 

Indeed it is.

Value for money all so come into it.

Will my boating be improved by the Rangers having new jackets emblazoned with BNP logos? No.

Will my boating be improved by dredging? Yes.

Is my boating improved by about 50% of my toll going to Authority overheads rather than navigation? Errrr . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

• Like 2

I worked for a company that went through 3 rebrandings in as many years, each time the PPE had to be disposed of and replaced, as well as signs in offices, we are talking hundreds of thousands of pounds each time, at one rebranding we had just got in the stock of fleece jackets from the previous, so they all had to go, at that time I picked up about 5 fleece jackets with the old logo - for gardening etc, I have since managed to shave the embroidered logo from several of them and can use them for everyday use, when those wear out I will have to remove the logos from a couple more to use, they should keep me in fleece jackets at least until I retire. (at least 10 years unless the government change the rules again)

• Like 2