Out Of The Water ?

I've seen several threads about having the boat taken out of the water for repairs etc. To do this, can you tell me the pro's and con's please. Where or who could do this for me, how much will it cost, how long can it be out of the water, and so on.

Really appreciate your answers.

Baz

There are numerous places that will lift for you, I have seen some of them using cranes with no spreaders which worries the pants off me, a lift and chock if you want to dry the hull out over the winter also gives you a bit of time to do those jobs that can't be done in the water.

So really then peeps, it's just a matter of phoning around for a yard to lift the boat, and chock it up. So how much would this cost, assuming the boat was out of the water for about 3 months, and I would of course be allowed in the yard to do some work on her.

Another point, would I be allowed to sleep on the boat while it's out of the water, or would I have to find digs for a week or so,

Baz

Hi Baz,

Prices for lifting are charged by the foot but if you work on around £80 out and £80 back in you wont be far out, also most yards will jet wash the hull as it comes out and charge you around £35 for this.

As for sleeping on the boat I really hadn't given that much thought and I have the same issue living in Birmingham and comming up for a few weekends to do some work but I can't see it being a problem.

You will be charged a fee for chocking and hard standing so allow another £35 for putting some sticks under and about another £35 per week while it is out of the water.

Above costs are a rough average based on a 27' boat but they will give you an idea.

Ian

As Ian said costs are usually charged by the foot but can vary hugely. For example, when I was getting quotes last winter Brundall Marine Services were going to charge £180 (out and in) whilst Broadland Boat Centre were going to charge £180 each way! Also Brundall Marine Services would let me have up to a month on hard standing for that price. However I am not sure whether or not you are allowed to get other people, or yourself, to do the work - it might just be them.

It's always best to get all these things sorted out in advance so you know exactly where you stand.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember hearing of a yard on the Northern Broads that would lift out, allow you to do as much work as you wanted and if you needed advice/help it was on hand.

I've a feeling it was Martham Boats but the section of their website that covered this topic is under re-construction. It's best to check what you can and can't do when your boat is lifted out on to hardstanding. For example, the yard where we used to moor would lift out and hard stand for a pretty moderate fee but would allow no DIY work of any kind. They claimed it was a liability insurance issue but, of course, they could provide (and charge you for) all the things you were perfectly capable of doing yourself. Contrast that with Ferry Marina (2004) and even though we had no mooring with them that winter they lifted and put the boat on the hard for us and allowed us to do all the work ourselves. Okay, we had asked them to do the new heads, BSS, replace the prop etc so they were getting business from us but they couldn't have been more helpful and provided us with free electricity for all the power tools I needed throughout the winter.

Mark KIng (son of Keith) and former owners of Ferry did, and I believe still have a facility at Mark's farm where they were trailering boats to store over winter in a large barn/outbuilding. Although the Funnel group now own Ferry, I'm fairly sure that one of my neighbours had his boat trailered there last winter and was able to do all he wanted under cover.

If I get the chance, I'll try and catch him next time I'm around and get details for you :wave

If you are going to do the work yourself then try the yards at Wayford Bridge the one on the right going up river will do the work for you as well if you wish.

Robin

You beat me to it Mr Morris Man, I was recomended Wayford Bridge a while back, and I think their phone No is 01692582555, I also think Peter Linford opposite there does it as well, but can't remember the name of his yard,,,