When The Time Comes , , , , , , , ,

JennyMorgan

Not long since my mum-in-law passed away and my wife & I sorted out her funeral arrangements. I'm sure that many of you have gone through the same process, it isn't easy. We were asked to choose two songs that mum might have chosen, errrr, I hope that we guessed right. 

My wife and I met at a folk singing club & it's been an interest ever since. I also love boats and boating with a passion, quite like fishing too. Do you remember the Hoseasons TV advert with 'Messing about on the river'? That's one consideration. One or two others too but it really has to be this one for me: 

How about you guys, anything apt?

Mine too, Jill. I had the great good fortune to see Ewan sing it at Snape Maltings as well as the Waveney Folk Club. An emotive song. Another great favourite and contender is Cyril Tawney singing Six Feet of Mud. 

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/song-midis/Six_Feet_of_Mud.htm

2 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

I'm having 'Come on baby light my fire' as the curtains in the crem close.

I was thinking on the lines of that great Jerry Lee Lewis classic, 

At last! We are talking proper music! The Topic Folk Club in Bradford was one of my regular haunts as well as The Abbey in Bradford where I would play most Saturday nights with the house band. The Grove in Leeds on a Sunday Lunch was excellent too.

I was always partial to a bit of skiddly diddly, as it's known at my house, although my guitars, five string and six string banjos, mandolin and concertina are gathering dust at the back of the wardrobe...I'd be hard pressed to put two chords together these days.

I like my skiddly with a bit more punch, well not so much a punch as a kick in the fork, if you catch my drift? Bradford had a strong Irish community and its there that I listened to the likes of Planxty, the Dubliners of course were regulars at the Folk Festival and Ron Kavana. It was seeing Ron Kavana performing the Alias 'electric' stuff that really clicked with me. His Think Like a Hero Album a backdrop to my twenties. 

A couple of years ago I came across Blackbeard's Teaparty busking in York. I had to be dragged away, still dancing, having bought the CD and the T-shirt!

I can get a little antsy when it comes to 'modern' music...or what passes for modern music. I'm a firm believer that X-Factor viewers should be strung up. The musical diet of crud the women of the family feed my granddaughter Grace gets on my chump. That's why I was highly delighted when Gracie chose her own music and spent an hour or so dancing like crazy to the Dropkick Murphy's. The consternation on grandma's face at Gracies choice...and that I knew who they were was a treat. Plug your lugs!

Now when I do shuffle from this mortal coil, pop me clogs, choke my chicken...no wait that's not right...erm do the dead parrot sketch you are all invited to the bonfire, I mean party.  I will be there after all! I've left instructions that my coffin serve as the bar so that everyone will finally get a 'drink on me'. Then of course I expect you all to second line...hey middle aged men in purple trousers are cool! Of course then there will be the obligatory cruise while you scatter the expired barbecue of yours truly between Potter, Barton and Wroxham and all points inbetween...having removed a handful for the woods at home in Gainsborough where I walk the dogs.

• Like 2

Tim, and there was me thinking you would want to be buried with a roman gladius, a viking tortoise brooch and a mobile  phone, with your favorite beagle lying at your feet - just to confuse the heck out of future archaeologists.

Oh yes and maybe a sign saying ' I aint dead'

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LeoMagill said:

Rather than a song I would like a ventriloquist act at my send off...

" open the box!    Let me out!"

Has got to get a reaction going.

As a callow youth I absorbed the pages of Mad and developed a taste for less than mainstream humour and music. The Downliner Sect, The Pretty Things and the like, yep, my kind of music back in the early 60's.

Leo, maybe you'll like this tasteless ditty concerning exiting that 'box':

• 2 weeks later...

John, surely you would want to enjoy the experience first hand!

Many years ago a good friend of mine popped his clogs his will stipulated that it should be read at four o'clock in the morning, The only people who turned up were his real friends, not one of his uncaring, grasping family made the effort. The will was clear, his estate was to be divided equally between those who had attended the reading. I have long appreciated that!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

For me probably these two, both played with plenty of volume and in full

And the obvious one:-

Griff

Two outa three aint bad,  you took the words right outa my mouth, you could say it was paradise by the dashboard light, Griff.  Well not missed one of the big mans britsh tours since since about 1990. Including the first live performance of Bat III in the Albert Hall.

Charlie

• Like 1

My little sister requested Bat out of hell and rebel rebel at her funeral.  They summed her up nicely .. A very different funeral. It was the first funeral I had taken but was  a celebration of an amazing if shortened life. 

I have taken many funerals for family and friends over the last 15 years and each one was memorable because the music was chosen for each person.  It is always easier if you get an indication of their preferred music. 

Morbid as it might seem,  write a note of what you would like at your own funeral and put it with your will, its the last influence you will have. 

• Like 2

For me, the essential song, as specified in my will, is Ewan McColl's Joy of Living. The proceedings should also end with the entire bunch of mourners singing Meet on the Ledge, as is our funeral tradition. At the wake afterwards the following should be sung:

Isn't it Grand Boys

Poisoning Pigeons in the Park

Dead Puppies

The Scrotum Song

(I would hope that Mike Bennett, being much younger than me, would be there to lead the singing of these latter two, as he has at several funerals of dear departed friends).

It would also be great, if they outlive me, for my dear friends from Triangle to sing The Lyke Wake Dirge.