(don't) Come South!

Nooooo, please noooooo!! We moor in the north but the south is our playground. This year was magic with fewer hire boats down south, selfish I know but there it is. There were certainly many of the bigger hire craft making their way across Breydon but they do tend to make for the more popular spots where the pubs etc are and that's fine by me. I like peace and quiet. At least there is not a lot anyone can change about Breydon, you can't control weather and tides so the 'handicap' is sometimes there. I suppose if the tides are spot on and the weather glorious, the BA could levy a supplemental charge - on second thoughts let's not put silly ideas into those heads! :norty:

27 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

To be even more picky I reckon that Geldeston Locks is about as far as you can go in a Southerly direction, or need to go for a good pub!

Oh JM - Get thee a compass (and more inoculations against Northern nasties)). By my reckoning Gelderstone is not as far South as Beccles, but I agree at the furthest end of the normal navigation. I still make Norwich the furthest West as well and the end of Breydon at GY the furthest East. So all they have up North is probably Dilham - pathetic really - we have it all down South - And DRAGONS!!twoguns

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baitrunner said:

Oh JM - Get thee a compass (and more inoculations against Northern nasties)). By my reckoning Gelderstone is not as far South as Beccles, but I agree at the furthest end of the normal navigation. I still make Norwich the furthest West as well and the end of Breydon at GY the furthest East. So all they have up North is probably Dilham - pathetic really - we have it all down South - And DRAGONS!!twoguns

Plus Old Shuck!

wp2c2e28f2_06.gif

The Locks being up, or is it down the left hand fork UNDER Geldeston, not sure that I might not be right, by a whole inch!

But to be really pedantic it looks like Barsham or Shipmeadow just takes the award for being the furthest South so reckon that we are both wrong. This could become even more pedantic than a discussion with the departed and lamented Strowie! Who's going to have the last word on this one, thee or me?!

• Like 1

JM lets call it a draw!!!:bow:bow As in the Monty Python style!!! Come on you yellow Bxxxxxxx I'll bite your knee caps:RiverPolice

Anyways it aint OB we both agree on that. I will defer to you graciously -  Baitrunner 10.2 (was going to use my real name, but it's a bit too close to the real thing) "He who hath the most time on their hands shall win".

• Like 2

from the grid references, the southern most bend of the river just before the locks inn is 327m further north than the southern most bend of the river at Beccles, on the other hand The Locks Inn is197m south of the Yacht Station at Beccles, so you takes your pick.

• Like 3

Going back to saying South River was quite. Ok no way is it like North River (thank christ :bow), but this year south river has been a lot busy than we had seen earlier in the season.

If we look at September (our 2 weeks hols) we headed back down south on the 12th and every moorings down to O/B was busy and all that week south river was busy. Beccles was packed packed and even others said they had never seen it that busy:shocked

Then we were up the first weekend in October and moored at Loddon for lunch, busy. Rockland St Mary we moored for the evening and there was only a couple of mooring available.

South River is still the best for peace and quite :kiss.

Regards

Marina :Stinky

• Like 2

Do you know, I love the rivers North or South. I have respect for both, for hirers, owners and people that live there. I know in summer months it can be chaos, especially on the North side, I'm beginning to believe that the sound of a boat engine, families and couples enjoying themselves will become a thing of the past and some people just want the place to themselves. I honestly don't see why there's not room for everyone North or South

My family and me have just spent a glorious week on the Broads, I've not witnessed any animosity between anyone, just people having a lovely time, long may it continue :clap

Grace

• Like 8