Christmas Afloat

LondonRascal

After much deliberating on what to do for Christmas things suddenly seem to take on a new urgency as we enter into November.  

So seeking something different to the usual this year will be the first where I will be spending it afloat – but shall be free from cooking any Turkey we have booked into the Swan Inn in Horning for Christmas Day. 

I am sure there will be some other people on the water either just for a few hours, or an extended period over the holiday period – I’d imagine it is a very special period of time.  It would be nice to take a walk along quite roads taking in the countryside on crisp bright days (though knowing my luck it will be wet and muddy) but the idea of waking up and opening pressies on Christmas morning with the vista of a the rivers to take in will be something to remember.

While the cold is not a problem, I do just hope everything remains as it has for previous years because my worry is sheltered areas icing up if there are a couple of days and evenings of below freezing temperatures.

• Like 8

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/725108/Winter-2016-heavy-snow-cold-UK-weather-long-range-forecast

If you are iced in then at least you will be comfortably moored up in the boat-house, a Christmas barbie on the bank, won't be any need to ship that forward fend-off. I've had berries on my holly trees since August, my chickens are eating more so as to build up their fat levels for a cold winter, the fish have already moved into deeper thus warmer water, nature knows you know!

• Like 1

I think if I remember correctly, last winter was going to be the coldest for 100 years, according to the Express. Turned out to be one of the warmest. Just like their BBQ summer some years back, wet and cold! I notice most of these predictions come from obscure weather forecasting setups.

• Like 2

Seriously thogh, in these modern times of fancy technology, i wonder why the weather forecasters keep getting it so wrong?. The Chairman of our Archery club was a former air traffic controller, and always looks at the weather radar on-line, and always gets it right with his predictions and forecasts on our shooting days.  I keep suggesting he applies to the met office for a part time job for his retirement.

• Like 1

I've not done an actual Christmas day afloat, one day it will happen.  A few Years back we got onboard on the 31st Dec, we had booked into Acle Bridge for the New Years Eve do.  It was a night nav from Stalham to Acle, arrived at around 2000 and it was windy and snowing as we came alongside - great fun that was sorting out the mooring and ropes in a blizzard of sorts - NOT.  There was eight of us onboard + Macie dog. 'B.A' was soon warm and toasty, if fact we didn't turn off the Mikuni at all for the four days onboard. The night of New Years day was at Malthouse Broad, come the morning of the second, the whole broad was frozen over, the ice far too thick for 'B.A' to manage, luckily for us a tupperware, plastic fantastic (I mean top notch GRP) hire boat went ice breaking out to the Bure, so we just followed their cleared path - Result.  Cruising through Horning and Wroxham after dark was just magical, the fairy lights and decorations of both riverside properties and moored craft was something we all enjoyed seeing.  What we most definitely did not enjoy seeing was solid ice on the upper Ant from the Sutton turn off as we tried to get back to base - Buts that's another story.

Griff

• Like 4

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/725108/Winter-2016-heavy-snow-cold-UK-weather-long-range-forecast

If you are iced in then at least you will be comfortably moored up in the boat-house, a Christmas barbie on the bank, won't be any need to ship that forward fend-off. I've had berries on my holly trees since August, my chickens are eating more so as to build up their fat levels for a cold winter, the fish have already moved into deeper thus warmer water, nature knows you know!

I've heard all this clap trap a million times before, berries in August, chickens busy knitting etc. There was a forecaster up here in Yorkshire called Bill Frogat or something similar, he could predict the weather by all these obscure activities , moles wearing Ugg boots, sparrows going for flu injections, you know the sort of thing, ALWAYS expect the opposite and you were very much closer. 

• Like 3

Well this will be the sixth Christmas and New Year I will have spent on the river , each one has been fantastic we have had every weather condition from snow to sun and it has not bothered us one bit . We have never booked to eat in anywhere I always do all the cooking all home made no jars of crap all good home cooked food and many people have enjoyed a meal at our table over the Christmas holiday's . I have already started getting things in for this Christmas and planning the menu really looking forward to number six long may they continue ...

• Like 7

It be another Christmas Day and Boxing Day on call for me and my snow plough.. we have been told expect snow ... they tell us that every year ... 2 years ago they had us out Christmas Day afternoon gritting in the rain...

I asked the question..... "why it's raining .. and it's 9c"...

"Um good question.... just in case."

I said "just in case for what...???  hang on I'll go and get my Factor 35 sun cream"...

They replied "Why...??? "....

I said.... "Just in case I get sun burnt in the rain".. 

I felt a right filbert gritting in the rain everyone looking and I could read there mines asking the same Question.... "Why???"   ... it looked like Santa had bought me a gritter for Christmas and I was out playing... ha ha ... um no...

So it be a wet and windy Christmas this year guys .. now I've said that it will bloody snow ha ha ....

• Like 2

This is the weather forecast for the broadland area covering the period between Dec 24th to Dec 27th inclusive issued by Mynah weather stations Ltd.

Good evening.

Christmas Eve promises to be unseasonably chilly with a chance of snow at Potter Heigham bridge in the afternoon. A short sunny spell on Malthouse broad will raise the temperature very slightly, but not so much as you would notice. It will rain for most of the day at Oulton Broad.

The expected winds on Christmas day will be lighter than last year but will still be described by all true locals as "Lazy". This is because all winds are described by Norfolk people as "Lazy". It will be slightly warmer than Christmas Eve with no snow falling anywhere on the broads except of course at the Berney Arms, where nobody will see it. It will rain for most of the day at Oulton Broad.

Boxing day will be largely sunny in most places with the temperature getting close to 10 degrees Celsius (That's 50 degrees Fahrenheit for locals) though it will be much colder at Geldeston unless you're in the pub. Thick cloud will move in from the west in the evening, leading to a mild night. It will rain for most of the day at Oulton Broad.

Finally on the 27th we can all expect extended periods of rain with very few breaks for the whole area in the morning with the sun only breaking through in the late afternoon. All together now... It will rain for most of the day at Oulton Broad.

Thank you. That was the weather forecast for the Broadland area covering the Christmas period. I will now hand you back to the Mynah studio where there is going to be a live interview with a  photograph of Doris Stokes.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Lastdraft said:

've heard all this clap trap a million times before, berries in August, chickens busy knitting etc. There was a forecaster up here in Yorkshire called Bill Frogat or something similar, he could predict the weather by all these obscure activities , moles wearing Ugg boots, sparrows going for flu injections, you know the sort of thing, ALWAYS expect the opposite and you were very much closer. 

His name was Bill Foggitt, yes he predicted the weather by his  observations, I can remember his predictions on Yorkshire Television. His predictions were always better than the official forecasters and on average his predictions were 88% on the money.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 3