Bonfire Night

Timbo

Anyone celebrating bonfire night this weekend please spare a thought for hedgehogs. A knob of garlic butter and no more than five minutes max, perfect with a baked spud!

Seriously though have a check under the bonfire for the little fellers before you light it!

• Like 7

ah the reek of burning cordite and paint, next door are having a bonfire, so the entire upstairs of our house now reeks of burning paint and cordite, since with a 20 foot square garden, their bonfire is less than 20 foot from the windows. how they can retire a safe distance from the fireworks - I cant understand either.

Oh and now one of them thinks he can sing. still after all the cloud seeding tonight it will be raining tomorrow.

• Like 1

Rosie was amazingly sanguine.  Although with Strictly on and the wood burner going we were very cosy.  One of our neighbours said Oscar, her rescue dog, was really bothered by them and did not stop barking for most of the night.  

Now if anyone invented silent fireworks so we got the marvellous shows but none of the nuisance, they would make a fortune ..........

Sorry Sue, I think not. There are many fireworks that make little noise but they're not the most popular ones. The louder the bang the more the people like it.

I do agree though that as people no longer think of other people there ought to be permitted dates and times for letting off fireworks along the lines of 5th November to 12th November inclusive and new years eve to 00:30 new years day That should be about right. (in my far from humble opinion).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

I do agree though that as people no longer think of other people there ought to be permitted dates and times for letting off fireworks along the lines of 5th November to 12th November inclusive and new years eve to 00:30 new years day That should be about right. (in my far from humble opinion).

I thought there were similar bylaws to that now John, well around here in North Essex there is ......................... But who enforces it no one

Charlie

I was in a similar situation to Grendel last year. The family directly behind me annually decide to rip the doors from their house, set fire to them and stay up all night drinking, letting off fireworks, shouting and ripping everyone's fence down to keep their fire going. Dylan (my beagle) is fine with fireworks. His brother Toby is NOT. He was a wreck last year and now he has epilepsy I was not content to sit back and watch the poor lad suffer. On Friday I saw the family in TESCO at the firework counter. Making sure they could hear me I picked up a copy of the local rag and called to my Mrs (knowing full well she wouldn't pay any attention).
"Her have you seen this in the paper love?" I called to the Mrs.
"What's that?" asked my Mrs not paying a blind bit of notice.
"The DSS are patrolling claimants houses over bonfire night weekend!"
"That's nice." said my Mrs still not paying any attention...but my neighbours were!
"Yeah it says here if anyone can afford to burn money then they stop their money!"

I didn't hear what my wife said as my neighbours suddenly left the firework counter their four kids running in front and headed off elsewhere into the shop blocking my Mrs from view. On the way to the car I noticed the neighbours kids were all smiling and clutching a toy each, while Mum and Dad had videos and booze.

Quiet night last night...all fireworks some distance away and stopped by 9pm! Tonight it is wanging it down! Hardly a pop, bang or whiz to be heard.

Yeah I know I'm a bad man..but a bad man with a happy Beagle!

• Like 7

On a plus not I got rid of 6 long expired flares last night, 3 parachute 2 smoke and a handheld with expiry dates 2000-2004, all operated fine with no problems which is good to know as all my flares are out of date on the boat too (but not that far out of date).

I am 100 miles from the coast BTW so no CG helicopters came buzzing over, it made for a good training session but maybe should have done it before going to the pub......

Wow, no Halloween, no fireworks it will be ban the fat bloke with a beard next :bow:bow:bow

i do appreciate not everyone likes them and some pets are not good with noise, but it is in the main 1 or 2 nights a year. Maybe we have been lucky and not had them going off at all hours where we have lived  

Was down in Kent the weekend and was very quiet down there. 

Leo you are a bad man!! I did "test" some old mini flares years ago (also many miles from the sea) and was surprised how well they worked and how far they go!!! To be honest I wouldn't do it again unless I was on a private hundred acre estate!!!!

and we didn't even have a single sparkler this year. 

• Like 1