New To Me

ginbottle

2 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry Mr Q Sir, The site may mention that it tells of the depths, but I'm damned if I can find them !!

Hi John,

If you go to the link that Q posted and then click on the blue highlighted locations it takes you to a map of the location, the rivers and channels are marked in colours, there is a table on the left that gives you the depth in meters.

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

This maybe a daft question, but I thought when mud weighting you kept the rope fairly short, but obviously not that short that a rising tide pulls it out?

my reasoning that for an anchor, MM is spot on, as you need the angle to get the bite. 

On a mud weight it's all about suction. It will be harder to shift it with a vertical pull than one done at 45deg surely?

Never did find it! My mate Dave and I made up a grapple hook, and spent 2 hours in the inflatable criss-crossing the area where it disappeared, but no luck. It's not losing the weight that irks, it's having to pay up on the bet I had with Rene that I'd find it!!!!! Never mind, got another now.

• Like 1

That's reminds me of the story  the chap who delivered our first boat.He attached the ropes and mud weight.He told us he delivered  a boat to one of the greak  islands,he did the same with there boat.The owner without  thinking  throw the MW over the side not realizing it was not attached.By then the boat was off shore. Can you get it for me he said?

• Like 3

Hello, everyone! Looks like I've got some catching up to do!

BroadAmbition...I believe our river frontage extends to 41 ft, so you might just about fit!

Hockham Admiral, I'm thirsty just looking at that lovely photo!

MauriceMynah, I can assure you that I certainly didn't know that, so thanks for the info and which side of the bridge rather depends on which direction you are travelling from, doesn't it?

Wildfuzz, there's not a huge amount to do to our little shack, but I couldn't in all honesty, describe it as a palace! It needs a coat of paint on the outside, but that will have to wait until Spring now!

I will have to learn how to highlight certain bits of text, as that will hopefully make my posts a little easier to follow!

Thanks  to all for the lovely welcome! Hopefully see you all on the river very soon!

:Stinky

• Like 4

Hi Ginbottle

if you look at the top of the text input box (where you type) you will find a set of formatting tools just like you have in a word processor.

the picture is from a mac but it will look much the same on whatever device you use.

From here you cachange the size & Colour of your text along with various other formatting tools

formatting.jpg

Hope this helps

• Like 1

On 11/10/2016 at 8:57 AM, MauriceMynah said:

You almost certainly already know this but just to highlight... Don't worry about the depths of the rivers, You are not allowed to mudweight/anchor in them. You may only mudweight in the broads themselves. I look forwards to meeting you, as given that I'm moored at the Pleasure boat on Hickling broad, I will be passing your "old shack" quite often. Which side of the bridge are you?

I have seen people use a tree and a mud weight to moor up North on the River Ant.        

Ginbottle,

When describing which side of the bridge I'm on I use

Upriver, Martham side, Hickling side, Quiet side or sometimes even Nicer side.   For the other side I say...

Down river, Herbert Woods side, Yarmouth side, Noisy side or perhaps Busy side.

For which side of the river I use Pilots side or Herbert Woods side. I used to use "Broads Haven side and Chippy side but less so now. Does that help you?

You might even add North East or South East for the Hickling side and North West or South West for Yarmouth side giving both side and bank. (ok, the compass points are  very roughly but close enough. :) )

You could always put some special on the river frontage, there are two opposing properties on the Hickling side of PH bridge that have cannons facing each other (possible neighbor dispute) and my favorite is in the same area there is a houseboat moored outside the property and in the summer there is a very convincing "dummy" with various signs at his feet. Always makes me laugh. How about a large carved otter, bear, other animal so we know when to wave

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

• Like 1

Hello ginbottle and a belated but very warm welcome. I used my pension pot to buy my boat so i know what you mean. I have only been a member here a few months and yet to have the privilege of meeting the others but they are a fantastic bunch, very friendly and helpful with just a twist of humour thrown in.

cheersbar

Trev

• Like 4