Tolls Protest At Yare House On Friday 18th

JennyMorgan

Well, did you go? Was it what you expected? What are our potions, if any, now.

I did attend but had to leave promptly after the votes as needed to be else where it being my wife's birthday, so sorry unable to introduce myself to many others there.

Colin:wasted:

• Like 1

Peter, apart from a short section to do with ferry/commercial boat licensing  I thought the whole thing had been to a script carefully managed by the chair and ceo. I could not believe the members, as good as, gave john full power to change the tolls for the ferry/commercial without first putting the changes to the BA members for approval. The whole thing was railroaded through. I do wonder if any of the members had read the entire document before hand. The members had over 200 pages of reports etc for this meeting 50 for the tolls review alone so I'm sure a certain amount of skimming was done. All praise to a certain young lady who voted against the proposals.

It was nice to see the public area full but we might just as well not been there for the difference it made. I would have liked to stay longer but it clashed with Ruth's birthday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Islander said:

It was nice to see the public area full but we might just as well not been there for the difference it made. I would have liked to stay longer but it clashed with Ruth's birthday.

Well done for attending Colin and although your news is not good, at least it gives us a first hand account of what happened - from a fly on the wall - and what a put up job it seems to have been.

Meantime belated but very good wishes, to Ruth on her birthday!

Quite honestly. Colin, I was as disgusted as I was unsurprised, if you get my drift. Actually, on a personal basis, I quite enjoy my occasional meetings with JP and expected better of him. On that particular occasion I was amazed that he had the absolute brass neck to carry on as if the public gallery was empty. To blatantly lead the meeting as he did, omitting letters of objection, contradicting the NSBA without granting their chairman a right to reply and relying on a weak committee that clearly aren't in the habit of reading their briefing notes is to my way of thinking pretty objectionable.

For heaven's sakes for a committee member to state quite clearly that the Broads is a national park says a great deal about some of the committee membersl! Actually a funny story has emerged from that as I let slip what I thought was an inaudible expletive, namely a well used sailing expression much used when motor cruisers get in the way. Well, it was heard by at least one committee member sat further away than the offending committee member. Apparently such comments being made at future BA meetings are to be known as PW'isms, fame at last. My slip of the tongue accepted  I thought the members of the public gallery behaved impeccably.  

• Like 1

Peter, I think the public were better behaved than the BA members. As you say, apart from a short acknowledgement to our presents we might just as well not been there. Although the meeting went as expected at least one member questioned the need to railroad the tolls review through this meeting. Well done Lana. Could it be that they would have to answer more questions from the toll payers if it dragged on to the next BA meeting. It can't have a thing to do with admin as it will only take seconds to adjust the tolls to the new rate and post the bills out. In fact just before I left I asked Joel about reclassifying our main boat as a house boat and how much notice was required. He said they may require some proof as to the disabling of the propulsion but it could be changed on the day we pay next years tolls.

You use an expletive Peter, surely not. I thought you liked us stinkies:wave

• Like 1