Replacing Brilliant's Cover

Polly

Last winter we got the old covers cleaned and re-proofed, but thanks to time marching on and the flipping oak tree nearby, I decided that this winter project was going to be a remake. I have started with the cabin cover and, time and money permitting, will go on to the more complex cockpit cover.

I measured up while the old cover was still on the boat, 13 metres, so adding 1 for luck- actually just insuring myself against errors, I ordered the acrylic impregnated canvas from Hawke House Marine, choosing Coffee as the preferred colour. I gave my name, which the salesman recognised, "Are you sure it's coffee you want? You had vanilla last time." He asked. Now I call that personal service, as is fairly usual with this company. I had used the lighter shade for our lifting cabin top a couple of years ago but the cover will be more hard working, so I went for the coffee/mushroom shade that is fairly traditional with these boats.  The roll of canvas was delivered two days later, together with their uv stabilised thread, which is a dream to sew with btw. 

I laid out the old cover on the living room floor and drafted a pattern from it allowing 2cm seam allowances when I subsequently cut from it. I had that 1 metre left at the end but there will be uses for it.  Almost ready to start sewing.

I ordered a marine use zip for the front closure from eBay and while waiting for it to arrive, started sewing the front sectiions so that I could insert the zip flat before adding any side sections. All the shaping is in the front of the cover so beginning from the front and working back keeps the weight down. In fact I will do front then rear sections and then join them in the middle as being the easiest construction plan.

This evening I completed that whole front section, so tomorrow will get started on the back. So far so good

Will post a pic tomorrow.

• Like 5

Right on MM I have twin needles 

Ok pic 4'high tech' pattern piece and working notes on staggered seam lengths over the whole cover 

Pic 3Fabric and test stitching.

Pic 1 front zip (sorry 'forrard' zip. 

Pic 2 the bit that goes round the mast, ref. Pattern piece already shown.

sorry numbers edited to fit with the order they appeared in on the post ! Doh!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

One more picture. This one shows a couple of useful items I use with these stiff canvas jobs.

The little clips (Rapesco Superclips) I got ages ago from Staples as 'posh paper clips' are great for keeping edges together for sewing, pins are a nightmare with this fabric.

Also from Staples is the Frixxion pen, which allows me to draw marks directly onto the fabric, these marks disappear with a quick blast from the hairdryer. 

Not pictured are the usual scissors, tape measures, seam rippers etc to which I add a pair of pliers to grip threads I am unpicking.

image.jpeg

Hi Stuart,

I am using my Husqvarna Viking. It is a domestic machine but very well engineered. I am using size 90 leather needles; I ordered some tungsten coated needles but they haven't arrived so I defaulted to some leather needles I had in stock. Thread was bought from Hawke House, it's their UV stabilised standard thread they use making awnings and is excellent for sewing with and great value for money. I had to pad out a standard spool with tape as an insert into their industrial sized reel so that it runs smoothly on my machine, but that was a simple matter.

My main issue is my own strength manipulating the heavy fabric, but I planned the work so that I could keep working  sections apart for as long as possible.

These don't Grendel, my hand needles do but not the machine variety, actually I think they are just the same as the jeans needles I had....just had a different label on the pack. :facepalm:

The cover is taking a brief pause, because I ordered a bigger eyelet maker with a beefier cutter than the 'hit it with a hammer and hope' kits I love to hate, and it hasn't arrived as yet- last heard of at Yodel, so go figure. The other cause of the pause is that the original cover  has vinyl triangular anchor points for the bungees, and on reflection, I decided to go that route too so expect this to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday of next week. Once it does arrive I wiill get the anchor points attached and finally sew the front half to the back, I am leaving this as late as I can to  reduce the weight of fabric I am manipulating.

• 5 months later...

I am picking up on Brilliant's cover, long set aside.

The current task is to make a set of eyeletted tabs for tying the cover down. I am using fabric backed vinyl for this job as it is strong and has a bit of stretch to it. This is what was used on the original cover I am replicating so should be right.

I got a beefy eyelet machine from eBay for £56. This is a lot but rubbish eyelets would ruin the whole project. This thing is cast iron and weighs a ton so I am careful when I move it!

The picture with many holes was just my experiment with the machine.

The pictures have loaded in reverse order. (Doh)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Just a couple of  pictures. It's not of the whole cover, because at about 15 feet long and at least 10 wide it's so flipping big! As and when we get it to Brilliant I will post an 'in situ' picture.

The first picture is of one of the mini-tabs put on for reefing up the awning allowing light to the cabin portholes. 

The second is an inside view of the folded awning, showing two tie down tabs and the inside counterpart of the reefing tab. 

Hope that makes sense.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2