Navigation Committee News, A Must Read!

JennyMorgan

Just now, marshman said:

Oh and if you think i am being selective, the Thames licence is 40% higher (and yes i know that includes Lock keepers!!!)

Yes, it pays for lock keepers, AND LOCK MAINTANANCE.  Just because another authority charges a given amaount per boat, it DOES`NT justify an increase because "other authorities" charge that amount. When you consider the Thames infrstructure, with locks, lock keepers, wiers etc etc, all of which you won`t find on the broads, it`s hard to even consider it justifiable to charge an equivalent broads cruiser the same. Also, on the non tidal Thames, water levels are maintained through artificial means, whereas the Broads are naturally fed from the sea, so that`s yet another expense the BA DON`T have to consider.

Anyway, other waterways are other waterways, they`re NOT the Broads, and should`nt even be used in comparison, so let`s just concentrate on the Broads and how the BA operate?.

• Like 3

I think what I have issue with most of all is the stench of corruption eminating from every piece of media we hear or read about whatever the Broads Authority is doing at the time.  They always seem to go against popular opinion and never make the blaringly obvious or sensible choice. 

If not corruption then a Dictatorship.  I thought we had learned in the past how dangerous that sort of regime is, yet it is carrying on, seemingly unchallenged.

I would feel more confident  that a Toll increase was necessary and justified if the BA had historically done everything in their power to put my toll money to proper use taking every reasonable step to make sure they were not hemorrahging money from within in a frivolous and wasteful manner.   

I dont know John Packman personally but what I read and hear I do not like one bit.

In my own personal opinion he needs to be removed. 

The Authority is in serious need of reform and those of you who think theres nothing we could or should do......lets see if you feel same the next time the Toll goes up...and the next time, and the next time...........

• Like 3

Speedtriple and dnks34 - don't forget your views are yours alone and I guess there are others who may have other views. If of course dnks34 you have evidence as to corruption, no doubt you will trot off from in front of your computer, and  down to the local plod shop. Whilst I hate how quangos work and don't always agree either, the BA is no worse than most other publically run bodies, and that includes parts of the NHS. Are some of the Trade Union organisations also exempt from your unfounded outpourings?

Speedtriple -  I accept some of your comments about the Thames but the BA is not just responsible for the navigation is it? Perhaps you should read up on the other parts of its remit. And like it or not my comments are relevant because as yet not one poster has been able to convince me to move my boat, however much I too hate to pay the increase. 

Its so so easy to sit behind an anonymous computer screen and reading the comments of a few diehard protagonists think you speak for other than a small minority - but there is always another side to every story and thats not always apparent from some posters. And oh by the way, are you still buying Marmite??

No, never bought Marmite, hate the stuff, and prefer Bovril.

And so have the numerous Thames  Authorities.

Unfortunately, i live 250 miles from the Broads, and work a 55 hour week most weeks, so for me, attending BA meetings is impossible. That said, if we had Lightning last week instead of the week before, i most definately WOULD have gone to the meeting and given Packman serious verbal abuse in front of everybody, and believe me, i`m good at it, and stand down for nobody, it`s the reason why i got sidelined by the management at work, because i caught him out telling blatant lies on several occaisions, and made him very sure how i did`nt approve of it. And guess what, i`d do the same to packman, and could`nt give a damn if a few **** lickers got upset over it. The man is a manipulative lying cheating power hungry cretin who can`t take critisism because he`s hell bent on destroying the Broads, and i`l be very happy to let everybody in the room know exactly what i AND OTHERS WHO AGREE WITH ME think of him and his **** licking cronies.  And i WOUULD`NT do it from behind a computer screen.

Did i ever tell you peaceful protest achieves nothing?.

• Like 1

Speedtriple - I admire your resolve and clearly you are well versed in the art of achieving at and behaving at public meetings, For what it is worth and in my long experience, that is EXACTLY how to have minimal effect and have everyone ignore you!! But there, it takes all sorts. JP is a past master at coping at public meetings and well versed with dealing with abusive members of the public.

You might do well to listen to the advice of old sages such as PW who does achieve, and is well known for so doing, but by approaching it slightly differently!! 

P.S. I hope then Bovril does not go up or the CEO of Unilever may hear from you!!

Speedtriple .... To hold such views about Mr Packman you clearly have met and conversed with him although others who have posted here and admit to knowing him personaly portrait a differing opinion.

I am usualy wrong but this forum is not specifically a boating forum but a Broads forum?

Many non-boaters enjoy the broadland landscape not to mention the thousands that live here. Threads like this suggest that we all share the views posted here but this is not the case.

I believe that tolls for hire boat companies is reducing? This must be good news for hirers.

Tolls for smaller boats is decreasing .... is this not a good thing?

Larger private boats are paying more ...... if I owned one I might feel differently but I don't so I don't.

I don't enjoy reading the abusive tirades directed towards BA staff, I have no problem with many on here who write constructive critics of their policy but please remember not all members of this forum are private boat owners and the views of the few do not nessesarily reflect the views of the many.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

No, never bought Marmite, hate the stuff, and prefer Bovril.

And so have the numerous Thames  Authorities.

Unfortunately, i live 250 miles from the Broads, and work a 55 hour week most weeks, so for me, attending BA meetings is impossible. That said, if we had Lightning last week instead of the week before, i most definately WOULD have gone to the meeting and given Packman serious verbal abuse in front of everybody, and believe me, i`m good at it, and stand down for nobody, it`s the reason why i got sidelined by the management at work, because i caught him out telling blatant lies on several occaisions, and made him very sure how i did`nt approve of it. And guess what, i`d do the same to packman, and could`nt give a damn if a few **** lickers got upset over it. The man is a manipulative lying cheating power hungry cretin who can`t take critisism because he`s hell bent on destroying the Broads, and i`l be very happy to let everybody in the room know exactly what i AND OTHERS WHO AGREE WITH ME think of him and his **** licking cronies.  And i WOUULD`NT do it from behind a computer screen.

Did i ever tell you peaceful protest achieves nothing?.

speedtriple, like you  I've never been afraid to go on the warpath where I perceived a wrong that needed putting right, and for many years I have achieved a great deal using this method.  I was once reliably informed that the borough health officer in the area I was living in at the time would visibly pale and tremble at the mention of my name. But he made sure  I had no further reason to complain!

But I've had to reluctantly come to the conclusion that these tactics no longer work. You see no one is held to account any more. Far from being worried about your rant they can place themselves in  the role as a victim of your harassment and the argument gets buried in their hurt feelings. these days it really is a case of softly softly catchee monkey. It's frustrating I know  for people like us who  feel strongly about issues and want to put that case strongly but, it just doesn't work any more.

Regards,

Carole

• Like 2

There area good number of the people that work in the front line of Broads Authority, I am sure all of us owners have come across the friendly, hard working and dedicated members of the various departments within the Broads Authority, Hirers also deal with the rangers and yacht station staff and information staff when they used to be present (sad loss at Beccles, Ranworth and other locations).

I do not know JP and the other members of the management, but they come across as an uncaring dictatorship.

Regards

Alan   

• Like 2