It's A Question Of Degrees

MauriceMynah

Ours are not feeding as much.  We have got some winter food which the Koi eat occasionally.  The Sturgeon are fed all year.

Like Alan we keep the pump running all year round and the aerator is on during daylight hours.

We did have the aerator on for 24/7 during the summer as we lost three of our bigger fish, through (we think) lack of oxygen in the water.  Fortunately the rest of the 'hoards' seem to be thriving.

I have 62 goldfish, 2 roach, three rudd and a gudgeon (so far) in a pond about 24 feet by 12 feet by 3 feet deep. The pond is new, only filled with water a month ago and the fish have been going in over the last week to ten days. 50 of the goldfish are about two inches long with the remaining fish all about four inches. As yet there is no water weed except two baskets of lillys that are cut back and dormant.

The pond has a bubble thingy which looks like all the fish have gone to one spot to fart, and a "Sprinkly Tinkly" fountain. It has two water falls or cascades as I believe they're called, one of which goes through a filter system.

Tomorrow I'll take some pics  :)   

If it's an above ground pond the water will cool faster than an in ground pond so the fish will reduce their food intake sooner. Don't forget to leave a couple of footballs floating around when the Frost's come. These will move around and stop ice forming so easily. If you do get a layer of ice you'll need to make a hole through it so the water can still 'vent'. Use a saucepan of hot water stood on the ice to melt through, don't break the ice as the shock wave can damage some fish.

MM

I feed my fish all year round using the put a little in see if they eat it principle they will tell you if they want it or not much like river fish, amongst others I have Koi around 30 years old, all those breeds of yours eat all year round and being such a new pond there will not be any natural food established yet, if the weather is cold a few maggots or chopped worm might  be better than standard pond flakes or pellets, edited to add that extreme conditions speak for themselves.

Fred

One of our Koi is a right Gannet.  He is a Mustard colour so he is called "Keen As".

Funny really when we had goldfish and shubunkin in the pond we had lots of youngsters.   Now we just have the Koi and a couple of Sturgeon, not a one.

That reminds me, will have to go and buy some wild bird food before the temperatures get lower.

SueH