The Grand Tour - The Boyz Are Back

BroadAmbition

After reading this thread I had to see for myself, so I equipped myself with a £25 “Black Friday” Firestick, plugged it into my ancient Panasonic telly and signed up for a month's trial with Amazon Prime.

Did I enjoy the show? Well, yes and no. As ever, I loved the chemistry between the three presenters, the jokes and the way they play off each other but didn't like the amount of time spent raving inconclusively over three highly impractical, high performance sports cars in the first episode. The programme is clearly designed to appeal to a global market and seems to have lost some of the quirky “Britishness” that was so engaging in Top Gear. Overall, I was left thinking that this was less good than the original Top Gear, but loads better than the recently resurrected series featuring Mr Shouty and Matt Le Blanc.

The jury is out on whether I will take out an annual subscription to Prime on the strength of what I have seen so far. I think it will take more than a 3 man willie-waving contest to tempt me into parting with £8.99 a month. I am not likely to be a big user of Prime's free next-day delivery service and I don't think that Prime's free movie offering competes well with Amazon's LoveFilm, so I won't be able to offset the extra cost by jacking in my Lovefilm subscription. I also have a 40GB/month limit on my broadband, of which I current consume c20GB, so I will be watching carefully over the next month to see how Prime affects my usage.

cheers

Steve

If you order a product from Amazon and they make a mistake in delivery or it's out of stock etc the good folks at Amazon will reward Prime customers with several months free Prime membership depending upon how severe the mistake. They don't do this if the product is faulty...just on fulfillment issues.

I've been enjoying the series,  especially the banter in the studio which is every bit as good as in the Top Gear days.  My main criticism is the main two part features have been stretched out too long.  I enjoyed programme 3 the most,  except the house demolition thing which was so completely banal it was painful to watch. 

• Like 1