Engine Winterizing

Baz

I can't really see why that would be necessary, Wayne. I've never done it, and as you say, as long as there is antifreeze in the fresh water side, then the coil in the calorifier is protected.

The only think I can think that would be for would be so if you use your boat whilst there is no water in the calorifier, then the engine could heat up quicker? Still seems a bit odd to me, though.

Dehumidifer also set going, draining into the sink. The instuctions for this were vague and made no reference to the different settings - "Wet, Comfort, Dry or Continious" - I chose Dry - not sure if thats right

Would imagine the settings equate to Continuous, 70% Humidity, 60% and either 50 or 40%, if you have it set to dry you may find that it runs more than necessary costing you electric. We have ours set to 60% which seems fine but when you consider that our standard Summer is 70% average then even this should be fine to stop any damp.

Ian

Another question:

On one of the articles I was reading it told me to disconnect the pipes from the engine to the calorifier and join them together, but as there there is anti-freeze in this side of the engine is this necessary - just it's a pain as they are Hep fittings so difficult to get off.

I will of course drain the calofier of fresh water.

Many thanks

Wayne

I would be interested in the rationale behind that Wayne, can’t see any advantage myself. As has been said the coil is full of A/F so it’s protected against frost and provided you change the A/F ever two years, against internal corrosion too. I have ball valves on the engine inlet and outlets on ours, but that’s really as a safety precaution so I don’t dump all the engine coolant because of a split somewhere in the calorifier circuit. :o

• 3 weeks later...
No Barry, that just drains the potable water, the coil inside is protected by the same antifreeze that is in your closed cooling system so no need to worry about that. So yes, just use the drain valve at the bottom.

Am i being thick, Could the 2 pipes to the Calorifier from the engine with the Potable water in freeze or do they need to be undone?

No Barry the two pipes contain antifreeze as part of the engine cooling system and lead to the heat exchanging coil inside the tank, the tank itself contains the potable (fresh) water which may freeze if not drained off.

Thanks for clearing that one up David i was a little bit confused thinking the 2 pipes from the engine might freeze and split if i did nothing,thanks.