Leaping Life Belt

Hylander

That life belt was there first thing this morning, long before Herby Woods staff get in.     So if that is staff leaving on the quay heading then it is very sloppy of them.     What was wrong with them leaving the boats tidy, which I probably think they did and Billy go lightly and his mates have been about.

However would we have managed boatyards before internet webcams came along?

I am sure (indeed I hope) I will wake up tomorrow to find that this thread is actually a joke. 

And by the way -

2 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

That certainly would not have been the case if HW himself were still alive!

If you can "certainly" say that, you must be around 20 years older than I am.

• Like 1

Vaughan, not sure how old you are but have you read the book "Herbert Woods A Famous Broadland Pioneer", written by his daughter Jennifer?

I got a copy from the boatyard when we were on holiday with them in September and really enjoyed reading it.

I can recommend it to anyone who has £3 to spare.

Jeff

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Vaughan, not sure how old you are but have you read the book "Herbert Woods A Famous Broadland Pioneer", written by his daughter Jennifer?

I got a copy from the boatyard when we were on holiday with them in September and really enjoyed reading it.

I can recommend it to anyone who has £3 to spare.

Jeff

Jeff, he's a year younger than me so he's pretty darned ancient.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Her Majesty 1.jpeg

I am posting this photo from the book in the hope that the author won't mind, as I met her on occasions, in the old days. This is the launching in 1950 of "Her Majesty", the flagship of the Broads Tours fleet, skippered many years later by David Dane, the well known Broads artist.

This photo has also appeared in one or two other Broads publications, but you may not know (unless you are as "old" as Peter and I) that the couple standing at the corner of the quay at the left are my parents. Father was already a director of Blakes by then and was thus a close friend and colleague of HW. He became chairman in 1957 and was therefore also a friend and colleague of HW's son in law, Jack Lee, who also served on the board of Blakes.

I was three years old when that photo was taken and I have no personal memory of Herbert Woods, so I was just suggesting that anyone who can actually remember how he ran a boatyard, must be rather older than me.

4 hours ago, LeoMagill said:

Lighten up Vaughan,

Yes Leo, I agree, but there are two reasons why this thread struck a spark :

1/. These webcams are installed so that the yard owners can keep an eye on things for security, when they are at home, or abroad. I first watched the Barnes webcam, when they had just installed it, from Jill and Peter Tallowin's house in the south of France. To achieve this technology it has to be on the internet, so we on forums also have the privilege of enjoying free, live, coverage of some of our favourite spots on the Broads.

2/. At least this picture (taken at 0730 on a November morning) shows the conditions that mechanics have to work under, out in the open in winter. They are out there in  all weathers, in this case having to service boats with exposed rear engines. Having worked out there all afternoon, I don't blame the bloke for not bothering to put the lifebelt back before he sought the shelter of the boat sheds! I would also say that very probably, that morning, the men would not have been allowed out onto that quay until until the day had warmed up and the frost had gone from those slippery decks. Certainly not if I were the manager.

So I question that we have the right, from the warmth of our kitchens at breakfast time, to look up a free webcam, see a lifebelt on the quay and announce this as "sloppy" work by staff for whom we are not responsible.

Unless you wish to suggest that the life belt has now become a tripping hazard, in which case, at least it is painted bright bloody orange.

• Like 3

I see today everything is exactly as it was when I posted the first photo.       Thank you for the comments about 'empty lives'. I did not expect that kind of reply.     I did qualify my statement about sloppy by saying I expected the boats had been left in order and that someone else had removed the life belt.    

What has happened to this friendly forum?

bridge (1).jpg

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

I see today everything is exactly as it was when I posted the first photo.       Thank you for the comments about 'empty lives'. I did not expect that kind of reply.     I did qualify my statement about sloppy by saying I expected the boats had been left in order and that someone else had removed the life belt.    

What has happened to this friendly forum?

bridge (1).jpg

I have a certain sympathy for you, in regards to the response from some about your post.

By that yardstick , we all are a bit sad , playing on the tinternet, talking about boats and rivers and all things broads.

Some needless digs in your direction from the friendly forum for some reason.

• Like 2

Well, I must be one of the saddest people on the planet, any spare time I get I log onto the Forum, I also look in on the webcams quite a lot which I think is a good thing in that if I spotted anything I thought suspicious I would phone the boat yard/authorities in the same vane that Monica pointed out the wayward lifebelt.

I am the worst person on here to tease some of my friends a little but try to go out of my way not to hurt feelings or be rude which most of us do I'm sure, Monica is a well respected and much liked member of our friendly forum and I very much hope she carries on posting

Keep on posting M, I'm just as sad as you :naughty:

Grace

p.s Found it for you Leo :taunt: :naughty:

• Like 6

I'm surprised that HW haven't sorted this out, I know this forum is regularly checked by some of their staff.

I can imagine a few people coming down to the Staithe especially if there was ice on the river, you often see items picked up off the ground and surrounding area thrown onto the ice, stones, bricks, logs etc, usually thrown in an attempt to see how thick the ice is. Most of us have done it lol. A stone thrown onto a frozen canal, the sound ricochets for a few seconds, quite eerie. 

I don't believe for a moment, that anyone would climb onto a boat and remove objects like life belts to throw in the water, but if one is left lying around, then that might be a different situation.

If someone tripped over it and injured themselves, I wonder who they could get compensation from? 

Come on HW take care of the little detail, and then continue to work hard in preparing your fleet for next season.

Richard

• Like 1