Leaping Life Belt

Hylander

May I please ask that if anyone is in or very near Potter would you please swing round and pick the lifebelt up and put it back on the ruddy boat

I would expect there will be a drink or two in it for you as Monica would be so grateful that she will be able to sleep at night once again :naughty:

Monica my lovely, I am just teasing :kiss You would think it would have been put back on the boat or someone with the morals of pond life would have pinched it by now

Grace

• Like 3

What we have here is a great example a ‘social experiment’ if I can call it that (though it is not actually an experiment).

I say the above because there are many things in life where someone will do something and another 100 people will not notice or care but the 101st will care a great deal.  Usually, I am that 101st person.

I’m the person who will notice that the manhole cover has been up since the yellow line was painted and put back the wrong way so the line is not longer in the correct origination the person who finds great unhappiness when a light fitting with two bulbs has one bulb blown and nobody thinks to replace the blown one – and when the second will go you can bet your boots only one of the two will be replaced.  Or there are four screws in a panel, someone has removed all four and the said panel then only replaced two screws diagonally from each other to save some time! There are many other such instances you can be sure I will be there noticing and making a point.

So, I understand Monica’s view that what began as ‘oh look the life belt has leapt’ light hearted comment, has turned into the fact clearly the 101st person is not in the employ of Herbert Woods.  I would not be surprised if people there just have not noticed the fact it is on the floor, and even if you said ‘did you notice that life belt on the ground?’ would look at you, look at it and be perplexed as to what the big deal was.

This alas is Boat Yards for you, many a time I have spent a night in a boatyard and see hatches open, windows down, doors swinging in the wind as an engineer after the umpteen cover to lift, bilge to get to, oil to check is finally off for the day and the last thing on his mind is shutting up the hatches or closing a window.  It happens.

So those of us who notice, we are not moaners or without life or interests we just have that extra capacity in our brain to notice and care where others walk on by.  Being the 101st is no bad thing.

canstock11092831.jpg

• Like 7

4 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

So those of us who notice, we are not moaners or without life or interests we just have that extra capacity in our brain to notice and care where others walk on by.  Being the 101st is no bad thing.

canstock11092831.jpg

Sorry, but your arrogance is beyond belief! 

If I were the manager of Herbert Woods and I had had a call from Humberside, to ask me if I would kindly hang one lifebelt back onto its hook as its presence on the quay was causing upset and concern to members of an internet forum, who had been "rubbernecking" on my own webcam, I reckon myself and all my friends would be "dining out" on that story for the rest of the Christmas holidays.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

If I were the manager of Herbert Woods and I had had a call from Humberside, to ask me if I would kindly hang one lifebelt back onto its hook as its presence on the quay was causing upset and concern to members of an internet forum, who had been "rubbernecking" on my own webcam, I reckon myself and all my friends would be "dining out" on that story for the rest of the Christmas holidays.

This reply is no more than I would have expected from you.     What happened to the season of goodwill.             I will say no more.

• Like 1

Crikey, is there really any need for these comments, I respect everyone has an opinion but please keep it friendly.

Monica, I gently teased you myself in an earlier post but I like to think that we have known each other as on line friends long enough to know that I mean absolutely no harm :kiss 

This is the friendly forum, let's keep it that way

Grace

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hylander said:

What happened to the season of goodwill.

I am mindful that the inland waterways boat hire business is strictly seasonal and so I wonder how many staff HW actually have on their yard right now? Staff are very much discouraged from taking their holidays in Summer - in my father's day it was forbidden by contract - so, having winterised all the boats, they take a long holiday over Christmas, ready for the intense activity of boat maintenance that goes on from then up to Easter.

Any self-respecting boatyard engineer will be sitting with his missus enjoying a sangria right now, in a beach front bar in the Playa de Las Americas. I imagine the last thing on his mind will be whether he left a life-belt on the quay before taking a well deserved holiday.

Hylander, I have no intention whatever to be rude (I don't think I have been) but I have to remind you that you started this and that there have been remarks made which reflect on the quality of work by the staff on what has, traditionally, been known as the finest boatyard on the Broads, and this based entirely on pictures off a webcam.

As someone who has spent most of his life (not just his career) working on boatyards, usually as the manager, surely it is only democratic that I should be allowed to put the boatyards' side of this story?

• Like 6

Hi Vaughan,

Just to bring you up to date a bit, the area which the government created and called Humberside disappeared 20 years ago even though some organisations like the police and fire brigade still use the word "Humberside" in their title.

Personally I was born in Yorkshire (God's County) but now have crossed the river and live in North Lincolnshire ( NOT South Humberside) as some people like the Post Office seem to think.

We have broad shoulders up here so no offence taken.   lol

Jeff

• Like 1

Monica, I think that given you made no phone call and that you don't live in Barton on Humber, it is possible that the post was not directly aimed at you.

Vaughan. I think that given the phone was answered, it is reasonable to conclude that someone was there to answer it, with or without a glass of sangria in hand. It is equally conceivable that knowing the cam to be monitored by people prepared to keep him/her informed as to anything going on might be quite welcome.

Jeff. your post was sent whilst I was typing mine, allowing me to edit your home town's name. Thanks.

Finally... "Season of goodwill"? ... Where did I leave my humbugs?

• Like 1

Grace I have only just read your previous post and of course I realise you were jesting.   :rolleyes:  As far as Vaughan is concerned I think he was just carrying on his upping the anti on this post as before.         What the hell the Humber Life Boat people have got to do with this beats me.        So Vaughan worked in the boating business,  so what I worked in a solicitors , but I dont go around defending solicitors.    Crumbs thinking about  that last statement the law is an **** at the best of times and me defending that useless lot will never happen.   

If you look at the photo,  not only has one of the life belts not been put back but one of the other life belts has been slung over the top of the boat.   It is called standards.   Putting it all back as it should be (may be my family's military background coming out)  is just something that I would expect.    Do people really choose to drink Sangria,  I thought that is what 18 - 30s drank on holiday to get plastered.   cheerscheers

Dont worry Vaughan I am well acquainted with the Herby Woods staff ,  I have known many of them for many years.  

Monica

2 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

Just to bring you up to date a bit,

Quite right Jeff, that is what it was called a while ago, when I was working on British Gas platforms out of Easington, so excuse the terminology!

My mention of winter holidays in the Canaries was just an analogy, but they are Spanish islands and so that is where they drink sangria. In fact only the Spanish know how to make it properly. They are a very good place to find lovely weather in winter, without having to fly halfway across the world to find it.

• Like 2