Sailing

JennyMorgan

The carbon masts and rig have long since been in use on the broads if you have deep pockets. But as far as I know the swing ( sideways) keel has not. I doubt that the keel could be used here, it's bad enough tacking up the Ant without trying to tack the keel as well. Also outside of the big cruisers that race only on the broads not the rivers most boats only have a keel depth of around 3ft So a swing keel would not be very effective.

Something like this might be more likely but they may go past you at 40 mph, remember there is no speed limit for sailing ( until someone goes past JP in one)

I tried to post a link to video here but it didn't work so just type in "international moth video" and watch!!!!

I've just seen some video of the race on TV I noticed the boats are also fitted with wings that slide out from the sides of the hull. Making the boat twice as wide as it  appears another performance improver that would cause all sorts of problems river sailing. How do you keep clear of a boat when you can't see the wing sticking out towards you under water?

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I just gotta say this before Peter does....

Don't tell the BA about those wings, they increase the square meterage of the craft. :) 

Put it another way, cranking in those wings, and why not have retractable bow and stern, at the time of measurement by the BA seems to me to be a plan.

• Like 1