December Boating

Hylander

The problem with trying to insulate a Broads Cruiser is that they were never designed to be insulated. Many are built to navigate bridges which keeps headheight down. Try to add insulation and necessary air gaps between insulation (to reduce condensation on the insulation itself|) and you loose headheight within the cabin. 

Insulating cabin side-linings is easier as there is often a void under decks and so on, but often tanks are also stored there which reduces the space for insulation and the tanks condensate hugely too as their contents take ages to change temperature. 

The only real cure is a decent heat level within and plenty of airflow low and high (which begins to defeat the problem). However, it is possible. 

We're on Humber Bridge which I don't think is particularly insulated for winter but we've been very snug even in the coldest days. Andys last comment is key - run the heating and the boat is warm and dry. we've had no condensation issues whatsoever apart from small amounts on the windows in the morning. :-)

• Like 2

Now, that is going to open up a whole can of worms !

Several questions/points that video raises. Firstly, I know how fast the pilots take my boat under that bridge, I also know that going fast increases the air draught astern, but does it decrease the air draught forward. If so the people (who may or may not have had a pilot on board) did it right.

Equally, the slower you go the less steerage you have indicating that the people (who may or may not have had a pilot on board) didn't do it right.

We may each have our own suspicions as to whether or not there was a pilot on board, but we have no proof either way so "innocent till proven guilty" is my view on that!

• Like 2