The Corsican Great Job Moonfleet Part 2

CheshireCat

Hello there earlier this year I posted the great job that Moonfleet made of turning our old forward head into a beautiful sit down shower room . We were so pleased with the work carried out by Phil and the team at Moonfleet we decided to have the other head brought in to the twenty first century . First some pictures of how the old head looked before the work .SAM_0777.JPGSAM_0778.JPGSAM_0780.JPGSAM_0781.JPGSAM_0782.JPGSAM_0783.JPG

I am sure you will agree what a lovely job Phil and the team have done . I really can't say anything negative about moonfleet , and those of you out there that know me know I would if I was not happy about something , we did get a warm friendly service and I would highly recommend them in fact next year we are having the gaily done ... Hear are some pictures of the work being done ...SAM_0784.JPGSAM_0785.JPGSAM_0786.JPGSAM_0787.JPG

• Like 3

You have obviously replaced the flooring in the head , the shower tray  is still below that flooring I assume.     Does that lift up and out.    I just love the radiator  and the new wash bowl and mirror.   Nice choice and looks extremely smart.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Thanks for the nice comments Hylander the tray was removed as it was very uneven they basically took everything out and started again the same as they did with the forward head we really are very pleased with it ...

So I gather that it is no longer a shower just a (as Robin would put it ) a contemplation room.

• Like 2

For those of you out there thinking what happened to all the space under the sink , well SAM_0786.JPGThe Corsican has a very small galley with very few cupboards so we have cut a opening on the outside of the toilet and the new fridge now lives there hens the reason for the type of sink used . A door has been made with the piece of wood cut out framed with a nice handle fitted and the fridge sits in there lovely , so it gives us a bit of room for some cupboards in the galley ...

• Like 3

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:04 PM, CheshireCat said:

For those of you out there thinking what happened to all the space under the sink , well SAM_0786.JPGThe Corsican has a very small galley with very few cupboards so we have cut a opening on the outside of the toilet and the new fridge now lives there hens the reason for the type of sink used . A door has been made with the piece of wood cut out framed with a nice handle fitted and the fridge sits in there lovely , so it gives us a bit of room for some cupboards in the galley ...

I will take some pictures of the finished job when I am on the boat at the weekend , I forgot to do it when I took the others so have a great weekend guy's and I will post them Sunday night when I get home ...  cheers ...

• Like 4

On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:40 PM, alexandlorna said:

Looks great Geoffrey ,  is the towel rail /radiator heated by the engine cooling  circuit ?

Alex

Sorry Alex been on The Corsican all weekend , weather cold but sunny very nice river dead its like having a private river , the answer to your question is yes that is heated by the engine cooling system its lovely having hot fluffy towels when you come out of the shower and then you can chill in front of the satanic stove lol ...

• Like 1

The issue too is cost.  Let's face it these are mad for everything from Motor Home and Caravans to Boats where usually space is at a premium and so is power.

Low volume manufacture compared to domestic fridges which can be produced in their hundreds of thousands - so most would fit the smaller variety for the cost savings which when buying for fleet use all adds up.

The thing is boats can and do run domestic fridges perfectly well though an Inverter and battery usually separate just for the task of running the fridge (so worse that can happen is the fridge powers down not the entire domestic battery bank) and I have hired a few with such set ups now.

I wrote an article about it here on my Blog where I got down and deep to amps and hours of use: http://norfolkbroadslive.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/time-to-say-goodbye-to-12v-dc-for.html

John,  If I were going about this without getting all fancy and hybrid I would:

Get a cheap and cheerful fridge/freezer like this one: (It fits under a counter so is a compromise between fridge and freezer space) It is handy this even has published it consumes 0.46kWh every 24 hours – so that means 460w (but let us be simple and call it 500w every 24 hours).

We need to convert that wattage which means very little when you are on a boat living off Amps to Amp Hours – but some say not and one should work off of Watt Hours.  Anyway, using a handy tool like this online one saves us the maths and tells us the unit would use 42Ah.

Let us say you had a decent condition 110ah battery the running of the fridge off that would use about 42ah which sounds perfect, not quite half capacity being used before a re-charge is due – however it is not that easy.  You see you need to run the fridge off of AC and that needs an Inverter.  Because of physics turning DC to AC voltage is hard and not very efficient, and that is why you would actually use more battery capacity because of the 85% - 90% efficiency of the Inverter. 

That would take you to about half or just over of the capacity of a 110ah battery being used in a 24hr period – to avoid potentially shortening the life of the battery you would need to re-charge therefore every 24hrs. 

Another idea would be to have two 110ah batteries, and run an inverter at 24v in and 240v out – because of the higher initial voltage you’d cut your amp hour usage from 42ah to 21ah (leaving out losses due to the inverter). 

So two batteries together to give you 24v separate from your usual domestic bank, a small inverter just for the fridge and hey presto you’ve got a set up that will work and should (as it will one day) the fridge pack up, you are into an easy domestic replacement avoid the higher costs of marine counterparts.  

Now of course the marine versions do not need an inverter to run, and thus are straight off the bat more efficient though I have no idea what kWh in 24 hours an average Waeco fridge uses but it would be interesting to compare so one could look at how much one uses compared to the above idea.

• Like 1

So what is wrong with putting the cans or white wine (not for me) in a net bag over the backend to cool when moored. Keep the fridge for more important things in the food line! Having said that, we have a good fridge that I accidentally left on for ten days!  Our batts (360 amp/ hrs) were quite happy to continue and a pack of frozen sausages were like granite. 

Save the energy for the food, the beer and the wine can be easily chilled by the river. Personally I like my red at room temp to get the best flavour from it? 

Life can be a lot easier if you stop and think for just a few more seconds. My beer lives on the back deck and at this time of year is well chilled.

Colin cheers

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Islander said:

Personally I like my red at room temp to get the best flavour from it? 

Absolutely! Red wine should be served at Room temperature whilst white wine should be served chilled. Wine on my boat is usually served in that fashion... this time of the year coming out from the same cupboard. 

• Like 2

Andrew, the maggots would be more than happy on our back deck at the moment. 4deg this AM. That would keep them calm. If I put them in our fridge then it may cost me another expensive divorce. One was enough and I really want to keep this one:love  My Bud ( sorry Norfolk Nog) was at perfect temp. The Merlot lives next to the warm battery charger, a bit warmer there. The port is on the Christmas shopping list with the spiced rum and a bottle Bombay Saphire for Ruth. 

Colincheersbar

• Like 2