The Corsican Great Job Moonfleet Part 2

CheshireCat

7 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

The issue too is cost.  Let's face it these are mad for everything from Motor Home and Caravans to Boats where usually space is at a premium and so is power.

Low volume manufacture compared to domestic fridges which can be produced in their hundreds of thousands - so most would fit the smaller variety for the cost savings which when buying for fleet use all adds up.

The thing is boats can and do run domestic fridges perfectly well though an Inverter and battery usually separate just for the task of running the fridge (so worse that can happen is the fridge powers down not the entire domestic battery bank) and I have hired a few with such set ups now.

Boatbuilders have been debating this issue for years and your post sums it up. The larger version Waeco fridge on 12 volts consumes 60 watts, so more or less (at the end of the line) the same as the 220v one you recommend. 

I still believe that WATTS are what count, no matter how you convert the voltage from the batteries. I also still believe that 12 volts is best on cruisers, on the principle that if you put two 12 volt batteries in parallel, you will double the amp/hours capacity, but if you put them in series, you will only double the voltage.

Whenever using a voltage converter, count on losing 10% capacity.

I haven't read your blog yet, but I will enjoy it after supper!

3 hours ago, Jonzo said:

I think the trouble would be keeping that lot (plus the normal batteries) charged, with many hireboats only running for perhaps 4-5 hours per day.

We usually put way more hours on ours, as I know you boys would do, but you'd need a lot of alternator capacity to keep it all running nicely for the average punter.

I forgot to mention (since supper was ready) that Jonzo has put his finger on the "other side" of this equation - no matter what we expect out of the fridge, and all the other appliances on the boat, we have also got to somehow put all this consumption back into the batteries by re-charging them.

If this cannot be done in a normal day's cruising then "q.e.d." -

You are going to have to run your engine on a mooring!

• Like 1

on my narrowboat I actually did the setup that LR suggests. I got a cheap beko fridge from comet ( think it was about 90 quid )

and ran it off an inverter via my domestic bank of batteries ( 3 x 100 ah ) it worked perfectly. If you also couple in a 100w solar panel, you are laughing all the way to a nice cold tin of beer - bliss !!

trev

8 hours ago, jeffbroadslover said:

I seem to remember that Radiant Emblem had a separate drinks fridge when we hired it a few years ago

Also had a useful outside storage locker under the steps up to the roof deck. It was a handy size for maggot boxes.

Jeff

This is luxury you cant afford!!

• Like 2