Holidays for 2008

Dan

Hi Everyone

With some of the new brochures out and the 2007 season over I wondered if anyone had got booked for '08.

We've booked four days on Grey Goose 4 from Whispering Reeds.

They did us a good deal, especially important with lots happening next year, and I've heard lots of praise for their staff so hope to have a good time. Another bonus is it will be our first time the far side of Potter Heigham, and I;m also looking forward to the experience of being piloted under the bridge

Shame it's another 6 months away, but you can't have everything I guess!

Dan

Hello Sue

I was a bit concerned that we met get blocked because of the bridge, and unable to go far. A few emails with John but my mind at rest. The width & height of Grey Goose makes her the best in the fleet for it apparantly, and knowing we want to cruise mostly the far side of it it seems they keep an eye on how things are and take her through earlier & we start the other side of it if necessary, or in really extreme cases they would even transfer me to another fleet, but this apparantly is very rare.

John at Whispering Reeds seemed to think number 4 was the less tired of the interiors on this class, so we decided to follow his advice, though number 4 does have the more classic layout than Grey Goose 2 & 3

All the best

Dan

We have not got a boat booked as my wife will not sleep on anything smaller than about 80,000 tons :roll: Instead I have booked one of Summercrafts lodges (Morlands) in June with a dayboat as the next best thing!! There will be my wife, 2 kids, my mum plus myself. My dads ashes were scattered at Coltishall earlier this year so it will be nice to go and have a drink with him in the Rising Sun which was one of his favourites.

Neil

I've got Forth Bridge 2 booked up for easter next year was originally for 2 weeks but decided to change to a week looking forward to it as well really starting to get withdrawl syndromes now haven't been on a boat since june.

James, Is this the same James that is a fan of AF38s on tother side? Sounds like you have got the old Golden Anchor booked. Wouldn't mind a nose around for old times sake, if I happen to bump into you over the Easter. I recently looked around a couple of AF38s that were for sale at Moonfleet and it was interesting to see the differences.

Dan, will hopefully be booking for next year, in the next few days. That's probably got some of you wondering?

It is the same james and it is the old golden anchor like you say and you would be more than welcome to have a look onboard if I bump into you. I would have thought the main difference between golden anchor is it has a varnished wood instead of the plastic interior in moonfleets boats.

Oh and I'll take a guess you have a booked another yacht :-D where from this time.

Hi James,

"Oh and I'll take a guess you have a booked another yacht " What ever gave you that idea?

Not yet, but very shortly, and it will be from Hunters Fleet again. This time in June to give us longer sailing days.

The Moonfleet boats whilst having a slightly more modern feel in places, just didn't feel as comfortable as I remember The Golden Anchor being, certainly not finished anywhere near as nice. I am hoping that since being with Bridgecraft and having a bow thruser fitted, it hasn't been modernised too much. I quite like a bit of wood even on a GRP boat.

I suppose being the first boat hired I have a soft spot for the old GA.

Keith

I don't think they will have done much at all to change her inside I saw it this year and had a look through the window and I'm almost certain it's the original seats or an identical replacement but still looked nice and besides any boat built by greenway marine doesn't need much help in looking better ha ha :mrgreen:

P.S is it going to a holiday yacht or a half decker thing your hiring.

James,

definetly a half decker using GA as a base for a few days. Hopefully the same as this year, ten days on the North with the half decker for about five days. Partly the reason for doing it during the longer days, because having to move two boats from a to b takes extra time and planning. Good fun though.

That reminds me of something that happened on the last trip. We came in to moor in the boat dyke at Ranworth and squeezed past another Hunters Fleet boat moored in the dyke, a larger one with sleeping accomodation. It was nearing dusk and I could see them looking at us and wondering how we would be managing on a half decker for the night. We lowered the sail and put the cover over the boat, and the look on their faces was classic as we walked past them stepped aboard GA, unlocked the door and disappeared inside. :lol:

James i do like the sailing boats from marthem the old wooden one that looks the shape of a colvic sailie. weird shape but have to say when i see every time it looks different some how

Another closet :Sailing:Sailing:Sailing

It's not too difficult at all, once you get going. The hardest part with a Hunter's is getting away and coming back in again, due to the lack of engine. The friend I have been sailing with, has sailed various other boats in the past, wich helps. The good thing about half deckers, is that they are a lot more stable than the smaller sailboats, such as wayfarers etc. Half deckers are much much less likely to capsize. If you fancy giving it a go, try one of the half deckers from Martham first, they are GRP hulled, Hunter's perfer you to have some experience first, although I do recall seeing that they do a two hour skippered sail. I'm sure there are plenty of sailys on here and nbf who would be prepared to act as crew for you as well, especially if it leads to another conversion cheersbar

How hard is it to learn to sail those half deckers for some reason lately I've been wanting to have a go at this sailing lark.

James,

Best way to start would be a 2 hour skippered sail or 2 with Hunter's. I'm sure some of the rag hangers would be prepared to help if you still want to go on ( You are welcome to PM me and if our timings coincide I'm up for a run out).

On a small point of order, I would avoid the Martham 1/2 deckers as they are usually badly rigged and some of them are in a dreadful state of repair. Try Whispering Reeds - easy access to Hickling and some lovely boats.

It's also Whispering Reeds for me & I got a fantastic deal for April as well on Hawaiian Goose. If we can start above the bridge rather than at Potter it'll be an amazing bonus. The last time we cruised beyond the bridge was August 2000 & we've had seven unsuccessful attempts since! If anybody knows what the bridge clearance for Hawaiian Goose is I'd be really grateful to know (it'll be the same as Royal Velvet 1 & 3, Gala Girl, Aston Arran & Fair Consort).

• 4 weeks later...

Kind of in the balance the holiday on forth bridge turns out writing your car means you have to pay excess which was £750 for me so not sure if I'll be able to pay the remainder now starting to think I'm jinxed with this boat :santa:

• 1 month later...

What a great CHoice !! :clap

Keep us informed as we have amny members with boats in Wroxham :):dance:wave

Well we are on a faircraft Loynes boat (fair empress) easter and come October Swan Regal from Swancraft ! Cant come soon enough look out for some of you Easter !!

We have gone from wroxham more times than I can remember and had a good relationship with Karena when she was there ! we tried again one from potter last october, a supposedly new in 2007 boat (regal light) and I have to say wroxham gets a more favourable review !! I am sure we have done a range of boats from the 2 berth flat ones to the countess and this easter the empress !! Enjoy them all. I have asked if we could design one for them , we are still looking for that perfect boat !

Yes !! we never go through Gt Yarmouth now when we are on the boat for 1 week, we tend to do one end easter and the other October, we have only done 2 weeks once and then we went through Gt yarmouth !!