Boat Hiring

Tonyp01

I have just hired my very first boat on the broads from Richardson's through Hoseason's and I booked the swan roamer for 2018

I would have gone next year but I had already booked and paid for a caravan holiday in Skegness so you could say that I will only be round the corner really but what I wanted to know if anyone as ever used the swan roamer and if so is it any good and do you have any video clips of it as I cant find any on youtube and if someone does have a video of it then I would love to see it just to give me a feel for the boat this will be our very first boating experience anywhere as we usually do caravan or spain.

As a kid I always dreamt of going on holiday on the broads and use to love watching the Hoseason's advert for boating on the broads and all britains waterways like the ad did say all Britains waterways waiting for you

• Like 4

Hi Tony

I haven't hired Swan Roamer so can't tell you first hand but I know a man who can, over to you Mr Nog, Howard is our Swan craft expert and although I haven't hired her I do know she is a cracking boat, you will love her

A very warm welcome aboard the Forum by the way :wave

Grace

• Like 1

Thanks Grace :kiss

Hi Tony,  I'll have to be a bit brief at the moment as we're still on the Broads, but when we get back on Wednesday I'll try to dig out some suitable photos of the boat's interior.  We hired Roamer from Swancraft at Brundle, who were a small family run business. The fleet was bought by Richardsons at the end of the 2015 season, so I can't comment on the boat under their ownership. Sorry I can't be more helpful at the moment, but if you leave it with me I'll do my best.

• Like 5

Sounds like a good choice to me Tony. I loved Swancraft boats as well. Having hired Swan Reflection from them when they were a small business in Brundall, as Howard said, I also hired the boat again from Richardson's this year. 

I checked out the photos and descriptions on Richardson's website - I think Swan Roamer was built a few years before Swan Reflection but is quite similar, just a few feet longer and with a larger bathroom. So I think you'll find this a good boat. We also hired Moon Beam this year which was ex-Swancraft as well. 

The boats we've had have been very easy to handle, responsive to steer, very economical on fuel and very comfortable - in my opinion very good value for money.

If you go to the holiday tales forum and look down the list you will find my write-ups. Or just go to YouTube and search for "Jean Mann Norfolk" and you will find my videos. 

• Like 6

Hi Tony and welcome to the forum.

I've never hired from Swancraft (although they were on our next hire list before they stopped hiring) but but do know the quality of the boats.

We have hired from Richardsons many times and are always happy with the service and quality of the boats.

I'm sure you'll love the experience 

• Like 4

Hi Tony

As promised I checked for photos of Swan Roamer which we hired from Swancraft a few years back. I'm very sorry but although we took lots of photos we don't appear to have taken any of the boat interior, apologies about that. However it does/did have a whirlpool bath which meant it had a particularly large hot water tank which was very useful. It also had a dual battery system. The boat was very well fitted out with a good heating system and was very comfortable. I'm sure that you have made a good choice and will be happy with the boat.

• 1 month later...

since joining the forum I have changed my boat as I originally wanted to hire swan radiance and hoseasons told me it was not available and they also told me to keep checking and so I did and it paid off as I now have the swan radiance for the same holiday but not seen many photos of her is she as good as the roamer I got the radiance as it takes upto 4 people where the roamer didn't so if anyone as any photos or info about the radiance please let me know as Richardson's and hoseason's don't have many photos of her thankyou as my mother in law is now going with us but that's if she is still with us this time next year as she is seriously ill in hospital on the intensive care unit at the moment and been on there for 2 weeks now

Hi Tony

Also sorry to hear about your mum in law. We had Radiance many times when it was with Swancraft. It's a newer boat than Roamer but otherwise very similar. Sorry I couldn't find any photos of Roamer as we only hired it the once. 

I should have more photos of radiance though, if you can bear with me I'll look tonight.

We had Radiance in the snow during December 2010 and we were as snug as a bug. Lovely boat. I've not been on it since it left Swancraft though. 

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

I wish your mother-in-law well.

Swan Radiance looks like a lovely boat - only slightly older than Swan Reflection but looking very much the same kind of fit-out and design. Being 35 foot it has more room in the bedroom and the bathroom by the look of it. I could be very tempted to try this one myself if I was looking to book something up. We loved Swan Reflection but felt that we had perhaps outgrown it now so with this one having slightly more room but still the same wonderful truly walk-round bed that you can hang your feet off, it would suit us.

Richardson's are hiring out these ex-Swancraft boats at very reasonable prices too which is reflected in the fact that they are already so booked up for the coming season.

• Like 3

Hi Tony

As promised here are a few photos of Swan Radiance. I should stress these are under Swancraft ownership so I can't vouch for how the boat looks now but it should give you a good idea. I've also included a couple in the snow just to emphasise how cosy is it/was!!!

The hot water tank was massive on account of the whirlpool bath and kept the water hot for ages. Good battery and charging systems. Good heating system and electric toilet. Very easy to handle with hydraulic steering and bow thrusters. A lovely boat.

2014-12-12 15.51.59.jpg

P1000925.JPG

P1000926.JPG

P1000927.JPG

P1000928.JPG

P1000929.JPG

P1000930.JPG

P1000931.JPG

P1000932.JPG

P1000933.JPG

P1000934.JPG

P1030259.JPG

P1030361.JPG

• Like 5

Great photos Howard.

I can also say that the Swancraft boats we hired were very responsive and easy to steer, very economical on fuel, we always had plenty of hot water still the next morning with no need to run the engine ... and they have the best electric toilets of any boats we have hired ... in my very humble opinion. :clap

• Like 1