Sourcing A Pulpit Rail

tjg1677

Hello to all you good people out there. Need some help please. A pulpit rail is on the must have list prior to next season, as my boat affords little in the way of anything to grab hold of

When forrard working ropes , mudweight etc.

Q1.who is are the best people to approach for this sort of thing.

Q2. Highly unlikely this i know but does anyone know of a second hand one that would fit an alpha lowliner 42?

Lastly, having never needed to do this before ( on a narrowboat everything is steel so i just made my own )  would anybody like to hazard an educated guess as to cost.

Many thanks in advance

cheers

Trev

FW Hall & Son in Norwich made our 2 pushpit rails for our 12ft width ex hire boat back in 2011.

They did an excellent job of it and if memory serves correctly they came in at around £700 for the pair.

The rails are in two seperate L shapes with a chain across the middle type design so its quite a lot of stainless and we were happy with the price. 

They brought the rails to the boat for a pre fit then took them away again for more precise bending/shaping etc to make sure the fit to the boat was perfect.

Google will bring up their website/contact details.  We have had no problems with them whatsoever and 5 years later they are still looking good as new. 

• Like 1

As usual, MM and JM have beaten me to it!

I would always recommend a pilot rail rather than a pulpit.

A pulpit rail is for use offshore, when anchoring etc., but on inland waterways it becomes a blasted nuisance, especially on a waterway with locks. Think of it as an extension of the handrails on the cabin top, above the side decks. It is there for safe support, but does not encumber you when getting on and off the boat.

I am sure the suppliers that others have mentioned here, might already have a pattern for your class of boat and you may well consider two rails, coming from each side of the cabin front and meeting about a foot apart towards the bow.

They are a bit difficult to "retro fit" owing to the head-lining in the front cabin, but the bolt holes can be tidied up with a suitable varnished mahogany disc.

• Like 1

We have pulpit and pushpit rails on our bathtub and, contrary to others, I wouldn't be without them. I guess it does depend a lot on what type of vessel you are trying to manoeuvre around but as I get older I need all the help I can get to stay upright! Useful for flags too. :Stinky

I'm a great believer in hand rails, grab rails, call them what you will.

I find that the older I get the more help I need. Indeed I've seen some boats where members of the older generation are in great peril. If they can get on the boat.

Oh! and while I'm at it another moan. Directed at those who use the roof rail to hold/store the mop or boat hook...or both. Effectively preventing those in need of purchasing a firm hold.

I'll think of something else in a minute.

Andrew 

• Like 2

We had pulpit and pushpin rails on Rondonay, the pushpit was a real nuisance when stern mooring, but the pulpit proved a joy when the South Walsham swallows used it for a breakfast time launch pad , muttering to each other as they paused between insect catching flights- priceless!

• Like 1

Pilot Rails.jpg

This is a double front pilot rail, as fitted to a Crown Grand Classique, and made by Halls of Norwich.

You can see that you can go the whole way round the deck holding a rail at the same height whilst not encumbered when handling lines in locks. A very safe arrangement.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Polly said:

We had pulpit and pushpin rails on Rondonay, the pushpit was a real nuisance when stern mooring, but the pulpit proved a joy when the South Walsham swallows used it for a breakfast time launch pad , muttering to each other as they paused between insect catching flights- priceless!

Like this little fellow. Also get the occasional kingfisher, but I'm too slow with the camera to get a picture.

wagtail.jpg

• Like 1

We have used Marineweld for quite a few bits like pullpits,pushpits, canopy frames, etc, can't fault their work and not bad on price, but I do know from a visit last week the price of stainless has rocketed, last year I had a footrest made that cost me £25, this year one slightly smaller was going to cost £65, the other place to try Is George at Ludham bridge, he has a few contacts,

Marine Weld Fabrication Ltd

Tel: 01692 669331

5 Folgate Rd, North Walsham, Norfolk, NR28 0AJ

hello everyone, apologies first, I had typed out a reply yesterday and for some reason it has not posted.

Thanks for all the input. |I appreciate the no pulpit rail school of thought but the lowliner is just downright dangerous without one, largely due to the steep rake of the front cabin windows, thus not giving anywhere to hang on to because the distance is too great from the bow when stood right forward by the mudweight. It is also to fall through the front cabin windows should one stumble or trip, the rake may give the boat nice lines but is a totally unthought out shambles when it comes to safety.

I do have the recessed grab rails, which frankly are a total design cock up as the recesses fill up with water when it rains and there are no drains - just like the lifebouy moulding aft, it is just a very expensive bird bath, but I digress.

I am now thinking along the lines of a horizontal orientated rail that runs from either side of the fwd cabin tops and forms a bow like arrangement extending out parallel to the deck by about 18 inches, at least it will give something to hold on to and the mountings can be bolted through the existing recessed rail thus avoiding drilling through the cabin roof. Am even considering fitting a grab line between the same points, will have a similar effect but will look a bit of a dog though.

call this work in progress...lol

thanks again all

cheers

trev

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I would imagine fitting a pilot rail, as Vaughan calls it, would be a doddle, & look good too.

I don't think it would be any more difficult than the boat in my photo, which also has a sloping cabin front. For all you know, Halls may already have a pattern for it.

By the way it is called a pilot rail as these are used by pilot cutters out at sea, where you have to step off onto a ladder hanging down the side of a ship, so outside handrails would actually be dangerous in this case, but the pilot rail gives the pilot a firm hold, while he is waiting to jump for it. This type of rail also lends itself naturally to inland waterways and canals, where you are continually getting on and off the boat in locks, but don't have to clamber over an outside handrail.

My pulpit rail has an advantage that it would hit the bridge first if the water level was too high, better a few screwholes in the deck than a big hole in the cabin roof, Not used it yet for that purpose...

I couldn't have a pilot rail either single or double as I have a hatch in the foredeck although I like the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

hello all,

just a quick update on what is happening. Sent a few e mails out but only had one reply so far, the price was a bit staggering, to have a six leg pulpit rail, was quoted 1400 quid!! :shocked. So its either wait for more quotes to come in or go back to the drawing board and rethink !!

bye for now and a very happy new year to all, I hope you have a peaceful, sunny and warm one.

cheers

trev

From the picture of your boat - I see what you mean and for me a pilot rail would be the solution - cheaper than a pulpit too.  Pulpit rails for me personally are a right pain in the unmentionable.  Fine and dandy on on sea going craft with higher freeboards up forward and usually wider decks, no end of trouble on Broads boats.  I've experienced them on a few hire craft and friends own craft, getting on and off the fwd area from shore is just about impossible, then they interfere with fishing, and tenders if secured up fwd when alongside etc.  I've lost count of the number of times I have to tell crew to 'Dip' mooring lines under both pulpit and pushpit rails when coming alongside to moor up, they don't half get in the blessed way.  Just my thoughts and certainly not gospel.  Horses for courses, some folk love em, some don't

Griff

• Like 2

Griff, in regards to the Broads/inland waters I reckon you are absolutely right about pulpits. I put davits in the same category too. What a pain in the head they can be at stern-on moorings. Okay, davit fans, they are great when under way or at sea, that I accept, but most of us spend more time tied up than we do under way. However, as Griff has said, not gospel but they are not for me.

• Like 1

I do feel safer with a full pulpit rail even on the broads but I think my parents boat has a pilot rail and do see the point.

If you can get good measurements there's a company here who will make to measurements and post up, they are very good value (and don't normally double the price if you mention boat. http://www.pwnash.co.uk/ give them a try (They are very good and I'm sure will help advise how to measure).

cheers