Strictly

SueH

Brilliant show. For me it was definitely the right winner - shame that Danny and Oti messed up their first dance. I had enjoyed watching them right from the beginning. But in the end Ore and Joanne were the clear winners for me.

That was a touching tribute to Len Goodman with a classy ballroom dance by the pros. Even Craig looked almost tearful at that point, I thought. There is a programme next Friday evening at 7pm on BBC1 which is Len reflecting on his time on the programme - behind the scenes and archive footage and interviews if anyone is interested.

• Like 7

I really don't know who should take this. Len has been clear that he hopes it will be someone from the world of ballroom and latin. Maybe a completely new face is needed.

Craig is my favourite judge though. He's the only one who seems to be really consistent with his marking.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Going back all that rubbish  about race,being fixed etc.

I think there is a low level of 'fixing' in the earlier stages to make sure that the entertaining contestants (Ed and Rinder this year) stay in for as long as possible without making it through to the important stages. Fair enough in my book, not a problem. I suspect this came about as a result of John Sergeant a few years back, but this is only a theory and I'm not wedded to it!. 

I think that the early stages of the competition are something of a popularity contest. And the public vote for the people they like and they know rather than the quality of the dance - it is an entertainment show really after all. But as the competition goes on I always feel like I get to know the people I might never have heard of before so it really is all about the dance by the end. 

For me the unsung heroes are the singers and the band. Tommy Blaize has an amazing voice and I can easily find myself watching something over again because I want to listen to his rendition of a song. I don't think that they get enough recognition but the live music absolutely makes the show.

• Like 4

Have to admit that I was slightly biased this year - my son was at uni with Ore and has always said what a genuinely nice person he is. They presented a sports show together on uni radio ... ! Not that I would have kept voting for him if he hadn't been such a good dancer. And wasn't it lovely to see his wife and his mum and dad all there in the audience. :)

• Like 7

I had paused the show for a while when hubby got back from the footie ... important matters had to be discussed ... like how Leyton Orient lost again. :facepalm:

Consequently I fast forwarded through some of the rest of the programme. Will have to check that out on YouTube.

• Like 2

Dave, when she sang Beneath your Beautiful with Labrinth  I thought it was just stunning, im indoors bought me that when I was having a particularly low time, it still makes me cry when I listen to it now

Anyone that hasn't heard it, have a look on you tube

Grace

• Like 4

I adore Strictly and thought this year's final the  highest standard ever, I genuinely didn't mind who won and thought Ore a worthy winner because he embodied all that Strictly is supposed to be about,  Someone untrained in dance working their socks off to achieve a standard that seemed impossible at the beginning. I voted for Louise simply because I totally empathised with  her in that she felt she had lost her identity in marriage and motherhood and lacked confidence as a result which we all saw gradually coming back over the weeks.I loved watching her evolve. What to do on Saturdays now? I told Tony he'll just have to take me out to dinner instead:shocked Roll on Spring and the start of the boating season was his reply.

regards,

Carole

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Polly said:

Judge to replace Len? Well Karen Hardy is an established international judge and we all love Anton so let's have five judges.

Karen Hardy as  a judge? Spare us! Yes she is very knowledgeable, but So OTT and full of herself as to be  almost unwatchable!

regards,

Carole

• Like 1

That's what made me cringe when I used to watch the X Factor, the judges have ego's as big as their heads. The Strictly Judges all really know their stuff and how graceful and beautiful is Darcy. I'm with MM, Anton would be a good choice and Craig as head Judge, just brilliant Darling :naughty:

Grace

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gracie said:

That's what made me cringe when I used to watch the X Factor, the judges have ego's as big as their heads. The Strictly Judges all really know their stuff and how graceful and beautiful is Darcy. I'm with MM, Anton would be a good choice and Craig as head Judge, just brilliant Darling :naughty:

Grace

Craig does seem to be very knowledgeable but sometimes it seems to me he is voting for effect and not giving a mark that is necessarily representative of the standard of the performance  but given  rather to draw attention to himself  and is  deliberately contentious to that effect. Not ideal in a judge. Ian Waite on the other hand is an excellent idea and one I  must  admit I had not thought of. Anton would; obviously be ideal. One could never imagine him being gratuitously cruel unlike Craig..

Carole

• Like 3