Winter Solstice

Hylander

2 minutes ago, tjg1677 said:

yahoo, does that mean the nights now start to draw out again...??

let the countdown to the new season begin !!

Yes but I don't suppose we'll notice it for a while yet. The shortest day/winter solstice also marks the start of winter. :wacko: 

• Like 1

Given that "Zulu" has one more letter than "GMT" but means exactly the same thing, I find myself wondering if this isn't yet another example of Europe trying to belittle the UK. Brits (or anyone else who holds the Union Flag in esteem) should use the term GMT whenever and wherever possible.

Oh dear ! NOTHING to do with the EU .

The different time zones each have a letter designation. Except there is no "I" or "O". The GMT zone has the letter "Z". For which the standard communications word for is ZULU. (As in Alpha, Bravo, etc.) 

Zulu time and Greenwich Mean Time are the exact same thing.  As is typical of the military, it coined its own term. Since Greenwich is the site of the "zero meridian," they called GMT "Zero Time" or simply "Z- Time." In the phonetic alphabet that the flyers of the time used to make themselves understood on their radios, "Z" became "Zebra." When the alphabet was changed, the call sign became "Zulu."

Clarification: They are not *exactly* the same thing. Zulu time does not shift with daylight savings time. It is a constant time that the military uses and in fact coined a term for. They did not just call GMT by a new name, they created a new standard time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Poppy said:

The phonetic alphabet  :facepalm:

Oh no! You mean I can't answer the phone and say 'Ahoy' any more? It's no wonder 'Dave' in Mumbai has trouble sorting out my BT bill if they've changed the way you talk on the phone. 

• Like 1