Salty Bottoms Easter

Feel free to suggest anything to do with Easter get together.

Oulton Broad Yacht Station.

General get together with the chance of a quick trip out, Anyone going please add names.

A few spaces will be available on at least 2 boats for anyone who fancys a quick sea trip.

Ian

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Easter falls right at the start of April this year and I can't wait to get the season started.

So who else is going to be there?

The current thinking is Oulton Broad YS as a base although a night at RNSYC has been suggested.

Only issue I have with RNSYC is that the Easter meet was supposed to give those without sea boats, or without the confidence to use the sea boats they have at sea, a chance of a run out of Lowestoft and back in at Yarmouth, maybe lunch at Berney Arms and then back to Oulton, meaning if attendending by car the start and end point are the same.

Happy to be swayed by opinion though so what are the thoughts of others?

Would be usefull to get a feel for how many so that the harbour master can be asked for a few spaces.

Ian

We should be there and depending on the weather may spend up to a week on board. So long as at least one boats stays on Oulton the night before the cruise they could bring all comers through to the Rnsyc to save to many boats locking through at the same time or we could take one boat up from Rnsyc and collect people at the lock. ( or the rib). If we have 6 or 7 boats locking through this could take a long time. So i thing we make Oulton the meeting point and play it by ear we can always cruise to Breydon and back inland if the weather is poor.

Jonathan :Stinky

Count us in Ian. Are you thinking of having 3 nights afloat do you think? I'm easy about itinery but then I guess the weather will have the biggest input on that at the time!

Hi Mark, we will be on board for 3 nights Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Was having a chat to Jonathan a bit earlier and we came up with a possible itinerary for discussion to try and maximise the chances of getting to sea while retaining the chance to offer a run out to those without boat.

Friday, meet at Oulton Broad for a meet and greet, spend the night in the Yacht Station.

Saturday, Lock through to Lake Loathing and run down to Lowestoft for a look at the Sea State, if it is positive then a blast about will be on the cards, if not then into RNSYC where Saturday night will be spent. (possible diversion to haven overspill if RNSYC is full)

Sunday, another chance to get on the salt, if the weather is right this could be a run out and in at Yarmouth for the trip across Breydon and round to the Dukes Head for Sunday lunch.

Boatless Guests will be welcome at Oulton Broad or Royal Norfolk, if any are joining at Oulton then a little sorting will be needed to tie up lifts between Oulton and RNSYC.

This set up would give a chance to see the Sea before committing.

All thoughts and comments welcome and hopefully the names of a few more attendees.

Ian

No Mark. The trawl dock is still there.

If coming from Oulton Broad you take the very Last left turn after the trawl dock and before you get to sea you go up to the fish docks or Hamilton Dock, as Perry correctly pointed out. Go right through the fish docks and at the very end is Haven's Satelite Marina as Jonathan correctly named it.

I know where they are but can't remember the names for the boat parks with spaces :-)

The trawl dock is used as a waiting pontoon for the bridge but there is no shore access from the pontoon.

Hamilton Dock's Haven Satelite is a fairly new marina and always has plenty of visitor space on probably the best pontoons you will find on the east coast. They bought them off the Southampton Boat Show.

Only thing with the overspilll boat park is it is not the most attractive setting and of an evening it is a fair walk to any pub's or even life.

Ian

Ian

I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to put a post in Broads Chat about this to, or at least directing people here. I'm quite sure that a lot of people do not look at this area of the forum as a matter of course, so may be missing this completely.

We do look Mark, look at the number of views and compare them to the posts and time the other topics have been up :)

I would love to come, I have only done that trip twice once on a ex torpeedo boat on a flat clam day which was a bit like going across Barton in a Bounty.

the second time was on a ex anti submarine boat which had been launched the day before after being dry for 5 months, it was a bit choppy and I was a bit hung over! I thought we were going to sink but managed to keep the pumps going, I probably would have been seasick if I had time to stop running about.

Paul (Bridgid Mary) looked calm enough so I did not panic but I reckon I would have headed for the beach if I was on my own!!

Anyway, I would love to do the trip again but would not like to commit until nearer the time as I am not sure what may happen in the meantime, but someone could put me down as a provisional

good point Mark. I just assumed that people used the active topics button so it came up anyway.

Luke, will add you to the list when I get to my laptop. Phone wont let me edit posts.

Clive, would love to have you along but the spin out is now likely to be just that, rather than the Lowestoft -Yarmouth run, owing to the round trip being changed to take in RNSYC.

You would still be very welcome to do it on the Sunday but the finish point is likely not to be the same as the start.

Ian

I can still only see it referred to as:

Hamilton Dock Marina

(close to town centre), School Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk NR33 9NB

Tel:+44(0)1502 580300, Fax:+44(0)1502 581851, VHF Channel 80

lowestofthaven@abports.co.uk

Based in an old fish dock in the outer harbour and offers easy access to open sea. 47 berths. Laundry, shower and washing facilities. Storage and engineering support

:naughty::naughty::naughty:

LOWESTOFT HAVEN MARINA SAILS AHEAD WITH GROWTH

13 Jun 2008 ... Lowestoft Haven Marina (LHM), owned and operated by Associated British ... of a satellite site in the Port of Lowestoft's Hamilton Dock

Here's a reference for you Perry, the sign for it pinned to the wall also refers to it as Haven Satellite but as I say, I never know what they are called anyway, just where to park :grin::grin:

Well there you go Perry, I didn't even no there was a Waveny Dock, but have never thought of parking there anyway. :grin:

Thanks for posting the links up Perry but I won't be handing out packs.

Remember this is not a club but purely an opportunity to tag along with a boat that was going anyway, each skipper is responsible for their own navigation, if anyone wants to ask then I am sure that me, or anyone else who has done it before, will share with them what they would do. :naughty::naughty:

Ian (non member of the Salty Bottoms Cruising non club) :grin::grin::grin:

Thanks for posting the links up Perry but I won't be handing out packs.

Remember this is not a club but purely an opportunity to tag along with a boat that was going anyway,

Obviously did not make myself clear :cry

I thought you might be posting up various links etc (pack) for anyone interested in rowing their own boat but having not been before.

I will retire to the snug cheers

Hi Perry,

Please don't take my responses as anything other than fun but the serious side is that both Me and Jonathan are worried as to legal responsibility.

Clubs have legal responsibility for their members and it is for this reason that the Salty Bottoms is not a club, we are happy to share what we will be doing but are at pains to ensure that we are not giving instruction. It is a bit different if you start a Bridge club, there is not much chance of someone losing their pride and joy or endangering life if they play the wrong card. :grin:

While Jonathan has a lot more experience than me neither of us can claim to be professional mariners and certainly in my case far from it. It is for this reason that no info packs will be given out but posting links to information provided by others is a great idea. cheersbar

Ian

People for a quick spin

If anyone is joining us either with or without a boat can they post up and I will add you to the list.

Ian

Ian,

Please add me to the list, it would be interesting to see how the other half live,

all my salty sea-time has been on sailing yachts.

(I have a VHF licence and my own handheld (with a ship-portable licence) if any one is short of a radio/operator)

Martin