Brinks Serenade

Broads01

I don't usually have a moan but feel I must make some comments.

Just been looking at the photographs of Brinks Serenade on the Barnes website (also on Facebook Norfolk Broads Boaters).

Compared to the old Aquafibre Diamonds (Gardenier Girl etc), in my opinion, the new helm layout is appalling.

The older versions had a double helm seat, you could stand up at the helm (with port canopy open) and have an excellent view both forward and aft, easy access out of the boat to port from helm.  When going astern I always stood facing astern which gave good visibility over the top of the boat although I have to say that visibility to the sides was not particularly good when seated.with the canopy closed.

With Barnes new version only a single helm seat which is very high (not sure how a short person would get on it), no possibility of seeing over the top when standing, no access to port from helm (with canopy open) without standing on a soft seat.  Also the bed, in my opinion, is the wrong way round meaning that if you are tall your feet end up under the side deck.

With the extra 4ft I am surprised that they haven't made the aft shower/toilet larger and redesigned it so that you don't soak everything when showering.

The only good thing I will say is that it has a low stern.

Loving the Diamonds we had thought about hiring Serenade (apart from the price) but seeing these pictures I wouldn’t even consider it.

• Like 1

Looking through those photo's it does seem that you can stick

your head out of the canopy once opened.

To be honest, it looks a bit bare and 'cold' looking with so much

of that teak and holly flooring. I believe this is the first of the

2 for hire next year so if you do see a problem, send them

an Email with your recommendations as they will want them to go out!

Feed back at an early stage is important and gives them time to 

consider making changes if they agree.

It's nice to see them building their own boats from scratch too :clap

20 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Looking through those photo's it does seem that you can stick

your head out of the canopy once opened.

an Email with your recommendations as they will want them to go out!

Feed back at an early stage is important and gives them time to 

consider making changes if they agree.

It's nice to see them building their own boats from scratch too :clap

I think you would need to be 6'6" tall and standing on tip toe to see over the top of the boat when standing in front of the helm seat, with the wheel near the centre of the boat and the throttle on the right hand side of the wheel it will be difficult to see aft along the side of the boat.  Have look at internal pictures of Diamond class boats on which Serenade appears to be based.

I have put my comments on the NBBs Facebook page and Kerry Sharp (from Barnes?) came back with a comment about the bed but nothing about the helm position.

Looking at Hoseasons brochure the layout plan (may be changed during construction) clearly shows a double helm seat, steps out of the port canopy and the bed in a fore/aft orientation.

Jean (SwanR)

Yes we have hired Royall Satin with the island bed this way round and I find that I cannot lie on my back with feet pointing upwards, I have to skew round and bend my legs.  I have no objection to hanging my feet out of the bottom of the bed.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have to report that Barnes (Kerry Sharp) has put the following on Facebook "We have listened to the feedback regarding the helm position and will be raising this and including a double helm seat - new photo's to follow when the adaption has been made".

I find this really excellent news and could now be persuaded to consider hiring Serenade.

Good on Barnes for listening to feedback.

• Like 2

Some interesting views.

I like the boat, in fact I really like the new aft window lines and low stern not to mention finally a true all weather new build which is able to pass under all  (when pigs are flying) bridges. It is not a big 45 footer, not another duel helm or centre cockpit but a new take on a classic design.

So far as fitting out goes, Richardson's really like to play things safe with their new builds and I get it - I mean if a gas hob and oven works and cooks food keep it, if a 12v system and inverter copes why get more complected, after all that additional cost to include at build and look after 5 years+ down the line is not going to be so easy to get back through increased hire charges.  I think many people are just happy with new and shiny not exactly how much tech is built in. The same can be said for Herbert Woods.

Faircraft Loynes give, and forgive if this sounds strange but a 'country kitchen' feel to their interiors - it is all homey colours, rich reds, warm wood tones even the chunky wooden knobs on cabinet doors - they then can incorporate free standing sinks, domestic flushing toilets and even baths with power water jets.  Ferry Marina are the experimenters in their design and builds, very much a distinctive look and feel but since they will be using Haynes for some building I think we know the direction that will take them in if their luxury day boats are anything to go by.

So what about Barnes Brinkcraft?

For years they have always given things a go, I like that 'outside of the box' thinking - lets get a dishwasher, washing machine and electric cooker on a boat and get a generator to power it all, lets try out hybrid drive systems, lets give 24v electrics a go.  They are always innovating and some ideas might not be the best, but others just need some working on and adapting.

Serenade could have just been another Benmore - but they went to town on the drive system, batteries and while were at it put a 50HP engine out the back on hydraulics to offer power generation and quietness inside (lets not mention fuel use though).  That took the engine box away from the saloon which I thought ugly, and having seating on top of it was never comfy as you had very limited headroom not to mention the noise of an engine under your backside.

Old school interior with plenty of gel coat on view and that engine box under the helm seats on Benmore:

Benmore.jpg

Their solution however could have been so much better though through. I cannot stand seats on poles - sure you can raise or lower them but there just stuck there, you can't move it out the way, move it closer to or further away from the helm and after a few years of use the fixtures wear, they wobble and often don;t stay at the height you want it.

A better idea would have been to have shifted the helm to the left, have a fixed seating area but that could be slid forward or back on runners.  Some moulded steps up to get out from the port side behind the seat, and then where the current centre steering is you can have a unit for TV/Stereo or seating - something to fill the space I feel.

Light, modern and sparse - with that helm chair on a pole on Serenade:

Serinade.jpg

The 'lounging sofa' on the port side is just, to me, pointless.  because there is more than enough seating for four or more with the 'L' shape seating on the starboard side. Notice the fixed table too but the TV is still in the same place as Benmore.  

This clearly is being pushed to couples - but families can be catered for too with the two singles and their own heads up front.  That said the double in the aft cabin - no sitting in bed watching telly from here, I think it could have been placed at an angle much like Concerto - still an 'island' bed but facing a bulkhead so you can wall mount a telly.

The galley like many Barnes new builds is basic and cold - an electric hob with just two place and a combo-microwave - does the job but really not what will be usable for a group of 4 to cook a meal or a breakfast as easily as a proper oven and four place hob.

But they have gone bonkers with the tech, masses of batteries, hybrid drive, an electronic display for boat system monitoring on the dash not to mention a hydraulically operated sliding canopy.  It is new, it is shiny and yet it is not in the same league as Rhapsody - this is a more practical new build where I think the budget was a little more sensible.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

but it may be not good for taller helmsmen

Hi Alan

I am 6ft and never had a problem with the high seating position on the old Diamonds but you do have to bend near double to get onto the seat and the vision to the sides is restricted with the canopies closed, I usually stood up with the canopy open a lot of the time and then you have superb vision all the way round.

45 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

That took the engine box away from the saloon which I thought ugly, and having seating on top of it was never comfy as you had very limited headroom not to mention the noise of an engine under your backside

Hi Robin

The engine under the helm seat could get a bit noisy especially with the canopies closed but it kept the forward shower/toilet nice and warm, good for drying towels.

48 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

an electric hob with just two place and a combo-microwave

Not too sure how we would fair without gas since we (2 of us) usually use 2 rings plus the oven for about half an hour every evening, how would the batteries hold up?

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BryanW said:

Hi Robin

I missed this, is it really hybrid drive?  That would account for the odd looking throttle.

I believe it is yes. If it is not then it would be a 'fly by wire' electronic throttle but it has a massive bank of batteries which would be far more than is needed to power a microwave.

41 minutes ago, BryanW said:

Not too sure how we would fair without gas since we (2 of us) usually use 2 rings plus the oven for about half an hour every evening, how would the batteries hold up?

With these type of boats you can get away with some use of the hob under just battery power (or plug in shore side electric) otherwise, it' on the with the engine - same goes for boiling the kettle which will be 240v mains type.

As Bryan says,  top marks to Barnes for listening to feedback re the helmsman's seat.

Not having hired a 'regular'  Diamond I hadn't appreciated the engine is under the helmsmans seat.  That sounds noisy & horrible to be honest,  I likes me engines shoved out the back as far away as possible! 

On 05/01/2017 at 6:35 PM, Jonzo said:

Doesn't look like one of the fly-by-wire ICE throttles I've seen, and the engine would be a Nanni anyway presumably (which in normal form have zero electronics on them) so yeah I think it's a hybrid system.

You can get aftermarket electronic controls for mechanical engines so it could be a set of them.  Not cheap though!

I'm not a fan of hydraulic drives, I know all the advantages but I don't like the sound and feel of them.

Nice to see an older design resurrected though.

Hi Everyone

I'm Phil and I am one of the engineers currently working on completing the first of Brinks Serenade's.  I have had a read through the comments above and just wanted to clear up a few points.

The engine in the boat is a 50hp Nanni Diesel and drives the shaft through hydraulics the same as many of the older boats already in the fleet.  They allow us to mount the engine away from the accommodation, making the boat quieter and smoother.  We have not built it as a hybrid.  Although we have been very pleased with the Rhapsody class in spite of one or two teething problems with the first one, we are unsure of the longer term running costs.

The engine has an electronic speed control like many of our other boats.  This helps keep the engine running smoothly when the batteries are charging or as engine load changes.

The electronic speed control connects with the electronic throttle and eliminates the need for push pull cables.  This makes the controls smoother and lighter along with saving installation time.

We have fitted the large battery bank to keep all systems running on board.  We have found over the years that large batteries are more reliable keeping all the systems running longer.  I expect the batteries on this boat to last 10 years and in the long term the cost will be lower then the basic lesuire batteries.

We are currently working on the helm seat.  It is an important area and we are investing quite a bit of time and money on the problem.  The intention is to make it seat two with electric adjustment up and down as well as in and out.  However very much still on the drawing board watch this space!!! 

• Like 10

Always good to have people working on boats as a members here - thanks for the clarification on the engine/throttle set up. 

I still think Rhapsody - from how she performs when under electric drive and the interior detail and space is unsurpassed.

Serenade features some new ideas and innovation and I like that control screen on the dash too.

• Like 1

The 'lounging sofa' on the port side is just, to me, pointless.  because there is more than enough seating for four or more with the 'L' shape seating on the starboard side. Notice the fixed table too but the TV is still in the same place as Benmore.

Where this lounging sofa is where a decent sized sideboard stood with plenty of cupboard space for your food etc.  Not everyone lives and eat in pubs.    There are lot of us who would rather cook our own food and thus need plenty of cupboard space.

Agree about the helm seat, at least on 'Diamond' you could both be seated together to have a look where you were going to, even though clambering up there was a joke.

The loo next to the main bedroom on 'Diamond' was small enough to cater for a small child of 5 or 6 , is this the same.  

• Like 1

Hi Phil (BarnesPhil)

Good to have a Barnes boatbuilder on here.

Do you intend to put a step infront of the helm seat so that it is possible to stand in front of the seat and see over the top of the boat?

After the announcement this morning that Barnes have taken over Royalls fleet we have just changed our bookings to Encore for this year (see separate post (Royalls)).  I will be very interested to see the final layout of the Encores, I (personally) would like to see the throttle on the left hand side of the wheel so it is easier to see aft over the port side and operate the throttle when reversing into stern mooring.

• Like 1

Can I just add that having looked at various sites about the new boat Encore, in one the bed is plumb against the bulkhead and in another it is on a slant to enable you to get out of the bed independently without having to scramble over each other, which when you are getting on is a big plus.  Barnes (Phil)   can you confirm one way or tuther please?

This is a good look boat.