Brand New Small 2-3 Berth

Broads01

New 2 berth boats have become something of a collectors item in recent years,  with hire operators tending towards going large to recoup their investments.  Adventuring Light breaks that mould.  Not only is it 2-3 berth,  its old style dimensions being 29 foot by 10. I think it's got potential, even though I can't work out why the saloon berth doesn't extend to a double. 

https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/boating-holidays/our-boats/adventuring-light.html

• Like 2

I will reserve judgement until there are interior pictures available.  I am a bit concerned at the 10ft width, how wide is the bed?

Good that yards are starting to build what I would call 'Broads Boats' and with the width I would hope that Potter Heigham bridge is a definite possibility.

• Like 1

Nice to see little boats being built! I'd hire it if I had to... 

Shame its got a bow thruster though, that will knock the hire price up too and keep it high as it will be burnt out all the time... strange.. evenso.. Nice to see someone catering for couples..

• Like 2

It's not cheap to build boats though.. Everyone goes on about how HW has an old fleet.. it's nice to see them building and investing in their fleet and the broads. Hopefully once it's paid for itself then the prices will come down.. you can't compare the cost of hiring with private ownership. But top marks from me.. looks brill look forward to seeing them out earning their keep.  Hope to see more of the same!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I notice it comes fitted with a shore power connection. Now there is a step forward!

Can't think what it needs a bow thruster for though. . . .

Not sure that I see the need for shore power either and certainly don't see it as a way forward. Dependency on a very limited resource, e.g. a shore power hook-up, means limited moorings and increasingly early stopping times to ensure a connection, a factor that will surely make these boats unattractive to the more experienced hirers. Personally I would want a boat that is reliably independent of shore power, not reliant on it. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

A new Silverline boat

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/boat-holidays/silverline-marine-silv/silver-coral-bh2422

one of the top hire fleets.

How do HW justify their price?

paul

Thanks for posting this Paul. I have been waiting to see the details and internal photos on this boat as we would love to hire on the southern Broads again at some point. 

However I am disappointed to see that the bed is the wrong way round yet again. What is this fascination with putting the headboard in the middle of the room? I realise it saves a few inches because of using the space under the window but it's not good for tall people. That's another option off the list then. Shame.

As for the shore power debate ... it's not essential but it is a "nice to have" if you're hiring early or late season. Makes so much difference for keeping the heating on during those very chilly evenings.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Not sure that I see the need for shore power either and certainly don't see it as a way forward.

I notice it is fitted with 2 TV screens apart from all the other electric bits, so it is going to use a lot of battery power. Whilst I thoroughly agree with you that a boat should be autonomous, for proper enjoyment of the holiday, unfortunately nowadays they are not.

It is a matter of choice. I am sure you don't want them running their engines on moorings, either? If they don't even come equipped with the cable and its fittings, then there is no choice.

There is something to be said for smaller boat dimensions.  When mooring space is scarce,  a 29 foot boat can be squeezed in to a gap a 35 foot one can't.  Similarly a 10 foot beam could come on handy for a tight stern on gap.  But would I choose a smaller boat over a larger one with more internal space?  Probably not,  if I'm honest.