Norfolk Motorway?

Timbo

I did have a lady stop outside our house and ask where pleasurewood hills was. ( About 40 miles away). When recommended a more sensible route than single track roads.  She said "oh no I don't want to use motorways."..!!!! What she meant was she wouldn't drive on motorways or dual carriageways.

I know someone who won't drive over bridges. Or walk over them or be a passenger without having a fit. 

And I thought it was only about 80 miles to Holland from GY. We are definitely closer to holland than London so maybe I'm Dutch? Will make the wife pay half for the meal next time we go out. :bow

• Like 2

My MrsG has a 'Thing' with heights.  When crossing bridges it is the only time I'm encouraged to 'Get on with it' where the go faster pedal is concerned.  a few years ago we hired a car in Gran Canariea (Bet I've spelt that wrong) and went up the mountains for a look-see - MrsG was far from happy at the roads, no barriers with huge drop off into voids, the palms of her hands were wet through.

However to my huge surprise I discovered that when I first got my Tiger1050 back in 07 and went for a ride out to Hull I had to use the big flyover over the Trent on the motorway -  I too found that I was somewhat nervous when crossing high bridges, especially if there was a decent cross wind. This was crackers as I'm generally good with heights, and have faith in the civil engineering companies that build bridges no matter how high. It maybe had something to do with the Tigers riding position being higher up, my head height is above car roof lines and of course one is not encased in a metal cocoon.  The solution was to give myself a stiff talking too, then go and ride over some high big bridges including the Humber bridge times many, oh and that huge one over the Thames too (Although I didn't ride down there just for that of course)  Now sorted, no problem.  If MrsG ever did get her leg over (The Tiger) and I rode over a high bridge, she would probably have a canary fit

Griff

• Like 1

You learn something new everyday! I never knew that Saffron Walden was the source of the M11.  However, Lowestoft is the most Easterly point of the UK thus I would have thought that adjoining Oulton Broad is the nearest Broad to Holland therefore Norwich is irrelevant, bit like their football team. Just a thought, Broad Ambition has gone to London, Holland next?

Broad Ambition has gone to London, (True) Holland next?   -      Maybe, you wanna crew?

Lowestoft to West India Dock by sea was 124 nautical miles, we actually went a bit further to South Marina dock so add on a couple more = 126 Nautical miles, a nautical miles being a bit longer than a land mile of course, (240yds to be precise)  That journey in calm seas took us 16 x Hrs so an average of just under 8mph.  I see from an earlier post by JM that Holland from Lowestoft RN&SYC is about 106 miles, so in theory we could do it.  But would we want to? Then there is the red diesel / tax problem I keep reading about elsewhere, suitable moorings for a Lady of 'B.A's nature to consider too (Canal Strasse canal in middle of Amsterdam would have to be considered of course :naughty: )  The concept is a nice idea but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

Anyroadup just how on earth did we get from the OP of a Norfolk Motorway to ending up with 'B.A' in Holland?  The mind boggles - Well that is to say mine does, nowt new there then!

Griff

• Like 2

Just now, Timbo said:

According to the EDP there's a motorway in Norfolk...a place renowned for not having a motorway. :facepalm:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/wallaby_among_animals_killed_on_major_roads_and_motorways_in_norfolk_1_4831039

Edited to say 'Motorways' plural so there's more than one?

Norfolk is not alone in being a motorway free zone. Down here in Dorset we don`t have any motorways, neither has Cornwall, as the M5 finishes just south of Exeter, which is in Devon.  Does anybody know of any other counties that are motorway free?.

13 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Norfolk is not alone in being a motorway free zone. Down here in Dorset we don`t have any motorways, neither has Cornwall, as the M5 finishes just south of Exeter, which is in Devon.  Does anybody know of any other counties that are motorway free?.

Quite a few of the Welsh and Scottish ones!