Life Jackets

ginbottle

I have an old fashioned type of life jacket, which I find comfortable for use while on the Norman 20. However, as I am soon to be taking possession of my long awaited rowing boat, I am thinking that a newer, less restrictive life jacket, the kind that easily pop over your head and (hopefully) instantly inflate, should the worst happen! I was wondering if anyone on the forum has ant thoughts on this, please? Any experience of the newer type would be interesting, as I know very little about them.

Auto inflating LJs are the best. 

I may be contradicted, but you dont need the most expensive off shore versions for the broads. Crotch straps are a must though. 

Put them over any waterproofs, get them serviced annually (or diy if you feel up to it). Dry after use. 

With the boat show coming up you might get a bargain. Often if you buy a set of say 4 if you need them you get a decent discount. 

• Like 4

Good idea. I have one but it falls somewhat short in that it has no crotch strap to stop it riding up, so that's something to watch out for. I would imagine that most here will have a view but basically you are going in the right direction. Some are available on Amazon or buy one 'on-site' from one of the chandlers.

• Like 1

It always worries me to see an assumption that one type or another of lifejacket is the best. Whereas I'm sure that Baitrunner is both well meaning and also correct in the context he is addressing, it is vitally important to address the context. Let me explain a bit further. I have three lifejackets and a buoyancy aid. My choice of which to wear is an informed decision based on what I am doing. If I am dinghy sailing, or manning a rescue boat I wear the buoyancy aid. I can enter the water without anyting inflating and there is other support around. When cruising on the Broads I wear a Spinlock auto inflating with standard UML firing. This lifejacket is also my normal offshore choice, as it is also fitted with AIS, sprayhood, lights etc.. However when racing on the Broads I choose a manual one with no fancy gadgets. Light, simple and I can make planned entries into the water, (e.g. to push off the mud on a falling tide). Finally, on those increasingly rare occasions when I do foredeck offshore, I use a Spinlock with hammer action. It doesn't go off no matter how wet I get, as it's pressure activated. Horses for courses!

• Like 5

Robin, I rather think that both Mark and I inferred that Ginbottle wanted a life jacket (preserver call it what you will) for safety whilst getting from his cruiser into his dinghy and vikki verker. Not dinghy racing, not off shore usage, nor even crewing a rescue boat. From his question I further infer that he is of limited experience in this field and that any advice offered would be preferred should it be on the simplistic level. That is to say, I do not think Ginbottle is after a selection of LJs, but a suggestion as to which makes for the best option for overall and general usage.

I concur with Marks advice for an automatic unit with crutch strap. .  

• Like 3

Thanks MM. Couldn't have responded better myself. 

I think it's fair to say ginbottle isn't sculling or kayaking. Of course some situations will demand a variation on the theme, but what was described in the OP and from other posts from ginbottle I got the impression maybe something universal might be appropriate. 

Having multiple vessels myself the auto inflate option works for me on all of them. 

Now when the kayak is launched, they definitely won't be used and a bouncy aid will be purchased. 

You can get a decent life jacket, auto inflating one with crotch strap for £49.99: http://amzn.eu/9C7rXti 

I am happy with the one I use without a crotch strap since my build means it does not ride up at all and is very tight on shoulders and back - also if you do go in use both hands to grip the jacket to keep it down.  The example above is good but I have seen someone go in with a Herbert Woods jacket, no crotch strap, and it did the job of keeping them afloat and head above water.

The real issue is getting someone out of the water with an inflated life jacket on. 

• Like 4

Hi everybody.

I bought one of Norfolk Marine's own make of inflatable lifejacket a couple of years ago. It is a well made item and has the trusted UML inflation system. The firing capsule is very easy to replace, albeit a bit more expensive. I paid around £45.00 for it.

This jacket would be ideal for the stated use. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Brian Wards have a cheaper Auto Life-jacket with crotch strap on special offer for £45.00 but have a word with Tanya or Nick to see if the NBN discount is available on this item.

http://www.brianwards.co.uk/safety/lifejackets/waveline-auto-lifejacket-red.html

Regards

Alan

I have just got off of the phone talking to Tanya about some bits for Ranworth Breeze ready for our season start weekend. 

I mentioned that I had posted a link regarding their special offer on the red auto life-jackets and I asked her if their could be a NBN discount on their special price. Tanya checked it out and said yes and she would also offer the blue life-jackets at the same price, If you have an account at Brian Ward's just ask for the NBN discount or online put in NBN in the discount field.

Regards

Alan

• Like 4

Before parting with your hard earned I would check that spares are freely available and take into account cost. An auto inflate can go off when stored on board on its own. I had two Crewsaver jackets that needed new arming cartridges and bottles but it worked out cheaper to actually buy two new ones.

Doug.

The worse case price of a rearm kit I have seen (includes gas bottle, activator and two types of clips) is £20 less any discounts. you usually have to replace these every two to three years, there is a date on the activator, usually not a date on the bottles, these can be weighed but we change them or save them as spares, likewise the old activator can be saved as a spare for temporary fix for a discharged life-jacket until a new kit is purchased.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

23 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

also if you do go in use both hands to grip the jacket to keep it down.  The example above is good but I have seen someone go in with a Herbert Woods jacket, no crotch strap, and it did the job of keeping them afloat and head above water.

The real issue is getting someone out of the water with an inflated life jacket on. 

There are so many things contained in these few short lines from Robin.

I grew up on a boat from 6 months old and so I grew up in a life jacket. In those days they were horrible cork things with a canvas covering and my memory is of always having a red-raw neck and chin, from the abrasion of this awful thing. My mother taught me to swim in the Lakenham swimming baths in Norwich and she told me that when I could swim two lengths on my own,(about 100 yards) I need not wear a life jacket any more. I achieved this just before my 4th birthday and have had an aversion to lifejackets ever since.

On the other hand, the jobs I have done in my life (not just in boating) have taught me that there are two clear sides to safety : 

1/. The equipment provided.

2/. The safety training provided to the user, and the users approach to safety.

For a start, we are not offshore, and are not taking part in the Fastnet Race. We are boating on the Broads where, with the exception of the tidal currents between Acle, Reedham and St Olaves, we are not at much more risk than if we fell into the local swimming pool. After all, you can walk around on Barton Broad - I have done it myself!

I prefer to consider how to prevent falling in in the first place. Does your boat have good handrails? Do the decks have a non-slip covering? are the decks free of tripping hazards, such as a raised deck filler cap, or a badly placed cleat? Are public moorings provided with steps, or pull-down lifelines, so that you can get out easily, before you tire of swimming?

I have already suggested to Ginbottle, who started this thread, that you should never be in a hurry when handling a boat. Give yourself time to approach a mooring and give your crew time to step ashore (not "jump" ashore) so that everything can be done calmly.

In my opinion, the bog-standard "Richardsons" lifejacket as provided on all hire boats, is what you need. It is a vest which can be laced up tight and will not ride up over your head. It is a "buoyancy aid" which will keep you afloat whilst allowing you free movement to find your way to the side of the boat, or just to the river bank, where you can usually stand up anyway.

Finally, we should consider two things :

1/. The Broads, over the space of many decades, have a safety record that is unequalled, as far as I know, on any other inland waterway.

2/. In my experience, the majority of drownings on inland waterways are caused by people staggering out of a pub in the dark, and so are not directly to do with boating.

Having said all this, I think you should always wear a buoyancy aid in the tidal waters around Yarmouth and Breydon and the fitting of children's lifejackets is much more important. These  will usually include a crotch strap.

• Like 3

I agree with what you say there Vaughan but there is one aspect that was mentioned in the original post which perhaps you missed. The LJ is really to cover the stepping from a Norman 20 into a dinghy. neither of these 'platforms' could be described as highly stable. For that usage I would recommend the wearing of the life jacket on each occasion.

Now I put my Sherlock Holmes hat on and suggest that given the members 'handle' it seems possible, nay probable that his aim is mooring in say Womack water and using the dinghy to provide for a secure mooring (mid broad) and means to get to the Kings Arms.

I think the acquisition of an LJ is very wise and for comfort and mobility the auto is favourite.

• Like 3

You do need to decide. Will I be comatose or awake. 

A little knock, someone who may not be as aware as LR when he falls in, or maybe it's just that the whole point of an LJ is to right you so you can breath. 

Great if you are super human and can guarantee not to get a knock. Go for it! 

I can get an LJ off in seconds if I need to so I can get back on board. That's how divers do it. No way you can get onboard with a BCD on. So you take it off. The point is if your Wrecked it keeps your head up and you can breath. 

Make your own decision, but if I'm on my own and in my dinghy. Guess what I will have on?

• Like 2

For me my children have self inflating LJs with a crutch strap. I know that if they had the bigger foam ones there would be arguements over wearing them. They both know how to self inflate of the need arises and the whistles are regularly tested....lots.

For me my life jacket does not have a crutch strap. I know that I would be less inclined to wear it for a quick mooring up if I had to faff around putting that on as well!

Touch wood Vaughan's method of prevention has served us well so far although only the hand rail saved me once when I was cleaning Thunder's windows. My feet were almost in the water, I did have my life jacket on but also had things like my mobile phone in my pocket! I now take a "lighter" approach to window cleaning :-)

• Like 2

Many boaters go through their boating life without ever wearing a life jacket/bouyancy aid - I did until recently. I realised that, as I was getting older, my mobility was getting a bit iffy with joints not behaving like they used to. I now wear a LJ when mooring etc, for my peace of mind and the skipper's! :angel: 

Oh that old chestnut of the dangers of getting knocked out as you fall in the water. The correctly secured life jacket auto inflates, does not ride up and you drift gently down the river unconscious but with your head none the less above the water.  You will have one hell of a shock when you come to as a Swan glides past you. 

Seriously,  what must someone do in order to fall overboard but also so severely hit their head on the way that this happens? 

I can well imagine this being a real risk on a commercial boat, winches, hanging, chains, general heavy swinging metal stuff, low  superstructures, rolling seas and slick decks etc, but on the average river boat you might hit your head as you step out of the cabin door and curse under your breath but I can't imagine how you'd manage such a 'Darwin Award' winning fall overboard  to render oneself unconscious.

• Like 2