Life Jackets

ginbottle

13 hours ago, diesel falcon said:

Many a person can surly recall a tale of them falling in or someone they know and can state how the life jacket saved them - but I have never known a story of someone on the Broads fall in, hitting themselves on the head as they did and rendering them unconscious as a result. 

i know off one person who fell in getting on a boat ,and broke a rib or two, in his case an auto inflating lg would have killed him , he was pulled out from under a dive deck, if he had an auto life jacket on chances are you wouldn,t have been able to get him out as he would be more pinned to the dive deck(reedham)

It,s all chance the same risk every time you get in a car.....people die everyday .....tommorow will it be you?

I wonder who that was :naughty:

2 hours ago, Poppy said:

All I can say in reply is , JM  you must have worryingly large ........and should probably have them checked.  A properly adjusted crotch strap is NOT uncomfortable - I speak from weekly (at least ) experience of wearing an LJ with crotch strap ALL DAY. I wouldn't do different!   The people who object to such a simple precaution ape probably the same ones who don't bother with a kill cord for the outboard either.....

I know that I am not alone in this thought but for those of us who wear light clothing during the summer and are active do find that crotch straps can be uncomfortable or at least annoying. I use a harness rather than a L/J to clip on at sea, that doesn't have crotch straps. However it does have to be snugly fitted to me, as does my lifejacket. I wonder if it's a case when L/Js ride up that they have not been fitted properly.

I don't have a kill cord on my inboard . . . . . . . . . . . does yours?

I don't find the crotch strap uncomfortable, what I do find uncomfortable is the thoughtfully provided 'comfort pad' that is on it as it's much wider and usually gets put right up the back out of the way.

The day I do NEED a crotch strap I don't care how uncomfortable it is I'll just be glad I have it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I don't have a kill cord on my inboard . . . . . . . . . . . does yours?

Indeed I don't. I don't know of any way to provide one - especially on a diesel. Anyhow, my egg wisk is well forward of the transom. I always use the one provided for the O/B boats at the Trust.

For me, the whole issue is rather like the early days of the seat belt debate. When they became compulsory, yes it felt 'different', as opposed to uncomfortable.  Now it feels positively 'wrong' not to have one on in the car.

• Like 3