Bbc News: Yorkshire Earthquake

Timbo

1 hour ago, SteveO said:

The epicenter was near Keighley.  Extensive property damage, roofslates missing, chimneys collapsed. Experts estimate cost of repairs at £5.76.

cheers

Steve

...extensive damage to the town hall, imminent collapse of the public library, far ranging damage to the police headquarters,five pubs, two takeaways and three brothels have left the community in shock as they didn't know they had a library. :naughty:

• Like 4

Well I felt absolutely  nowt, didley squat, zilch or even zero.  And seeing as my wallet is generally in my vicinity it can't possibly have been me.  Besides my wallet never gets that heavy, allus spending the stuff is why of course.  Take this evening, home early by 1700, by 1800 six of us meet at 'Our' farm, by 1830 we arrive just outside Bawtry at another farm for a spot of night clay shooting.  Not done this for 41 x years so about time we had a refresher.  50 clays - £12:00, 60 12g cheap cartridges £11:00, £21 the lot - a cheap night shooting with friends, or it would have been if we then hadn't visited the nearest pub for a drink / bite to eat another £20 and home by 2230.   Now apparently my social gun mates are suggesting we do this regular, 1st Wednesday of every month, I reckon I can just about afford it too twoguns:dance

Griff

• Like 4

Ha ha ha. The old ones are the best!  I slept right through the Folkestone earthquake of a few years ago, which caused even more extensive damage  (£7.26), mainly because i) prime locations such as the Benefits office and the Primark megastore were affected and ii) Folkestone is south of Watford gap, so property values are marginally higher than those in urban Keighley.

cheers

Steve

In the early hours of Monday 23/09/02 England experienced an earthquake, felt quite clearly up here in Yorkshire, a neighbour nearby had cracks appear in a tiled floor and door frames twisted. Griff’ of course slept right through it.  The next morning Laureen accused Griff of working to hard (He was) and experiencing ‘The Shakes/Having a fit’ during the night that was so bad the bed was shaking, she duly ordered him to work less and visit the doctor immediately, Griff was of course a tad concerned, until he heard the news on B'fast TV about the earthquake during the night.   The day before Griff and Dave had secured ‘Broad Ambition’ with more supports, how lucky were we there then? We will never know if the original 4 x legs would have held her upright but the consequences of her falling over on either of her sides does not bear thinking about!

The above I have copied and pasted from my restoration diary.

Griff

• Like 3