Floods

diesel falcon

The first time we took over Lightning was for a week in October 14. That week there were Atlantic storms that forced surge tides along the east coast, and up the rivers. We had nearly 2 feet over the QUAY at Beccles that morning, and i had to fashion some emergency waders out of bin bags to disconnect Lightning from the 240v hook up, and reach down and untie the mooring ropes, which were about a foot below the water level.  Later that morning en route to Loddon, we cruised through Somerleyto swing bridge, which was left open, as there was less than six and a half feet air draught closed. Then when we cruised up the new cut the banks were like a weir either side, and Reedham Quay was still under water. Quite a good introduction to Lightning, being 43ft long, and there was only Karen and i aboard?.

• Like 3

Just now, paul&lorna said:

I remember that.

GEDC0008.JPG

That`s right Paul, and i remember you and Lorna came aboard and had a pleasant evening with us, and we watched your video of your "adventurous trip" across a bumpy Breydon.  I bet your home mooring must have been well flooded too. I did wonder whether my car ever went under water that night at Brundall, but it started fine, and wasnice and dry inside when we got back.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

That`s right Paul, and i remember you and Lorna came aboard and had a pleasant evening with us, and we watched your video of your "adventurous trip" across a bumpy Breydon.  I bet your home mooring must have been well flooded too. I did wonder whether my car ever went under water that night at Brundall, but it started fine, and wasnice and dry inside when we got back.

our car was parked  on Brundall bay marina during the night of those floods and we had to get in through the rear door as the front of the car was axle deep in water and we didn't have wellies with us  which we needed to walk to the front of the car. the water  wasn't deep past about berth No. 65 so cars parked there were unaffected

Carole

• Like 1