New A17 Speed Camera System

Timbo

I was under the impression they were active immediately after they were installed, I treated them that way as I could see the infra red lights glowing at night.  They can indeed 'Catch' motorcycles but only in one direction and I know which direction that is :naughty:  Besides, speed limits and solid white lines are only advisory for British bikes over 1000cc :liar

Griff

• Like 1

They took my license way for 3 years in October 1996 for speeding on the M23 on a Honda 1100RB. My license was clean and the judge said that if I was not leaving for Indonesia the following week - he would have locked me up.

The police radar gun goes up to quite a high speed and his words to me were ''it's off the clock''.

I had sold my bike and was on the last outing before handing it over to the new owner, but I reckon I did the double ton when they caught me.

• Like 1

but I reckon I did the double ton when they caught me.

Impressive.  :bow  The quickest I have managed to date on the Tiger was 145mph (In theory with the mods I have carried out it should make 160mph) that was on the Nürburgring - scared mysen half to death, not the speed but the track / other vehicles

Griff

• Like 1

I saw one leather clad wally do 150 to 0 in less than two seconds coming home from Lincoln a few years back. Usual bit of stupidity going like the clappers overtaking a long line of traffic, just to the right of the center line, over took a tractor and trailer and ran straight into the side of the car that was turning right in front of the tractor...the one we were all in a line behind waiting for it to turn. The leather clad got up and started moaning because the motorists were more interested in the car he hit with the kids in the back than him. Fortunately the kids were OK, too young to realise what had happened. Mum was really shook up, Dad, driving, bloody furious...murderous would be a better description. 

• Like 4

not at any great speed fortunately, but in almost stationary traffic, I saw an accident build up, car pulling from one lane out in front of the lorry that was in front of me to get off the slip road, carried straight on through almost side on to the traffic just as a motorcyclist was going down the slip road, car just pulled straight through no thought to any traffic, bang, motorcyclist straight into the side of the car, poor sod didnt stand a chance. nobody seriously injured though as all were moving quite slowly. Bike was written off though.

on a side note my BMW R80RS managed a respectable 130mph, but I was getting near the red band (having blasted through the first red line) and I only had half a mile left to slow down for my exit. (there is a red line about 1000 rpm lower than the red band on a bmw, this is the frequency of the engines harmonic resonation, so you dont hold it on those revs or it will shake itself to bits, you are ok blasting through though.)

• Like 1

The fastest I have been is 180 on my Blackbird, it would also top 100 in first gear. Things happen pretty quick at that speed and even a stright bit of road can feel like it has a bend in it.

i have the uttermost admiration for the Moto GP and TT riders, must have large round things made from Sheffield's finest.

Never had a ticket for the bike but quite a few in the car, I don't understand how cars exceed the average speed limits and not get a ticket which is something I see on a regular basis around Cambridge on the A14.

Doug.

• Like 3

My fazer 1000 is supposed to be good for 160 but I've only managed to get 158 so there must be something wrong with it (or me, that will be it), I have to admit my reactions are not up to that sort of speed, may have been once but not now.

The worst thing I did was replace the fuel gauge with a multifunction display that does things like drag timing and compares gps speed with wheel speed, trouble is when you come to a halt the highest comes up in big digits so very tempting to push a bit harder for no reason other than a photo of the display.

I always have a little grin when I see plonkers jamming on the brakes as they pass an average speed camera only to belt off again once they have passed it .

"Each SPECS speed camera records a date and time stamp. Then, by ANPR, the computer can then work out your average speed between the cameras with photographic evidence that you were speeding between the SPECS cameras. SPECS speed cameras also record your number plate and issue you a speeding ticket if you were speeding along the average speed controlled stretch "

https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/SPECS.htm

So you see, they don't need to " beat a bend in the road, buildings, trees and the like:naughty:

1 hour ago, Poppy said:

I always have a little grin when I see plonkers jamming on the brakes as they pass an average speed camera only to belt off again once they have passed it .

"Each SPECS speed camera records a date and time stamp. Then, by ANPR, the computer can then work out your average speed between the cameras with photographic evidence that you were speeding between the SPECS cameras. SPECS speed cameras also record your number plate and issue you a speeding ticket if you were speeding along the average speed controlled stretch "

https://www.speedcamerasuk.com/SPECS.htm

So you see, they don't need to " beat a bend in the road, buildings, trees and the like:naughty:

You are very correct there Poppy!  As a professional trained and active CCTV engineer, I have often stayed out of these discussions!

8 hours ago, LeoMagill said:

My fazer 1000 is supposed to be good for 160 but I've only managed to get 158 so there must be something wrong with it (or me, that will be it), I have to admit my reactions are not up to that sort of speed, may have been once but not now.

Yes as we get older we all slow down which is why I swapped the Blackbird for an RSV, it's top speed is limited to 185.:norty:

Doug.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

Yes as we get older we all slow down which is why I swapped the Blackbird for an RSV, it's top speed is limited to 185.:norty:

Doug.

rsv.jpg

It's a good job Doug can't see images on his tablet...so I should be safe!:shocked:naughty:

• Like 2