So The Broads Are Boring!?!

JennyMorgan

And I thought it was only me that found life on the broads boring. Its an absolutely dreadful place when you think about it - waking up whilst swinging round the mudweight on a picturesque broad, the sunlight casting glittering reflections on the cabin roof as it is reflected off the gently rippling water. Watching the world go by in general, having no sense that you have to be rushing around anywhere, no being herded like cattle through check ins, and the ultimate in boringness - watching sailing boats and wherries being skilfully and gracefully handled in a head breeze................terrible, terrible stuff, i really dont know how we tolerate it at all :dance:dance:dance  long may it continue to bore me senseless   :loverofl

cheers

trev

• Like 4

To be honest I can't see what all the fuss is about! If you're bored, there are plenty of things to do.

Try playing I-Spy a refuse disposal point. If that doesn't light your candle, Go to Hunset Mill and admire the wonderful new windows there.

When you tire of that try counting the Free 24 hour mooring places and see if you can find more than you did in 2014. Hours of fun can be had looking for the disappeared pubs. The Kingfisher in Stalham and the Maids Head while you're there. The Complete Angler and the Anchor are some more you can look for, not to mention the Stracy Arms.

Nah, plenty to do... come one come all. Come and see the ancient flooded estuary that is the broads. Look in awe and wonder at the bridge that nobody can get under. Finally, if you are really lucky, you might see a troll on his boat Nyx.  :) 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Come and see the ancient flooded estuary that is the broads

Oi! Behave yourself! :blink:

I have to admit I did once spend a couple of hours working out a possible logistics problem. I wondered how I would cope getting Uncle Albert back on board if he fell in? Coming out of Ranworth Dyke onto the main river we passed two private boats going hell for leather. Both had extremely large ladies walking around the deck of the boat to the bow. Both extremely large ladies...and I do mean extremely, were not wearing life jackets. Both had a bottle of wine, wine glasses and a book in both hands and neither was holding onto the boat rails. As the second boat crossed the rolling wake of the first its extremely large lady lost her balance and started to windmill her arms. Wine, glasses and book ended up in the water...but fortunately she fell onto the roof of the boat and wedged between the cabin sides and the pulpit rail which was then under some considerable strain.

Now had the extremely large lady fallen in the water would it be best to tow her to the slip at Ranworth and hope the emergency services could drag her out or tow her to the boatyard at Ludham Bridge and get George to crane her out?

Fortunately there was a Ranger Vessel on hand and his advice was almost similar to what I had called across to the boats. 'Slow down, put a life jacket on, one hand for yourself and one for the boat' etc only the Ranger didn't use words like 'docile' or 'pillock'.

• Like 6

Timbo, perhaps she appeared extremely large due to having inflated lifejackets under her jumper and one stuffed down the back of her baggy shorts.

Re towing up to Ludham, best borrow George's trade plates unless you want an over zealous Ranger pulling you over for no toll.

• Like 3

It really shouldn't be a joke, well, lets be serious for a moment, but there are some exceptionally huge folk out there & I do sometimes wonder how on earth anyone would go about retrieving an overly large person should he or she become a casualty. It might sound callous but towing and beaching might be the only option but a convenient landing place might be several miles away. I best go on a diet! 

Another problem is that of toilet space on older boats. Patrick Senior at Martham once told me about a super large lady on one of their small two berth boats who had used momentum and her weight to force herself into the toilet compartment and had become stuck. Various options were considered, like putting the toilet pump-out into to blow mode but eventually a bulkhead was removed. 

• Like 5

I like Milton Keynes. It's got real actual archaeology AND traffic islands. We were there on Friday, I always shop there if I can, though I admit that an afternoon spent there feels like an afternoon+

Then there are the Broads, a day there feels like a weekend, and a weekend like a week..... in a really good way. Downtune and let it all drift by awesome!

• Like 3

Those concrete cows! I admit it...I live in Milton Keynes. Never thought I'd like living in a city, but I do like MK, mainly for its green space. I can cycle from home to work along the river Ouse past fields of sheep (and lambs in Spring)...what other city can you do that in? Nothing can beat sailing around the Broads though! 

Helen

1 hour ago, YnysMon said:

Those concrete cows! I admit it...I live in Milton Keynes. Never thought I'd like living in a city, but I do like MK, mainly for its green space. I can cycle from home to work along the river Ouse past fields of sheep (and lambs in Spring)...what other city can you do that in? Nothing can beat sailing around the Broads though! 

Helen

Amen to that, Helen, sure beats chugging along with the constant drone of a soulless engine! 

As for rural cities, Norwich has a lot going for it, apart from its football team:57_cry:

58 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Amen to that, Helen, sure beats chugging along with the constant drone of a soulless engine! 

As for rural cities, Norwich has a lot going for it, apart from its football team:57_cry:

Norwich City 3 Wolves 1, not quite so boring yesterday!:clap

6 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I can cycle from home to work along the river Ouse past fields of sheep (and lambs in Spring)...what other city can you do that in?

Helen

t' York lass! Tha Knos! Aye up.

As a former inhabitant of Bedford I've fished and canoed the little Ouse many a time. Once went to MK on a pub crawl. Got lost after the first ten pints as all the pubs looked the same. Must have got really lost as I woke up in a doorway in Soho...and I still had my wallet. No trousers...but I still had my wallet! Walked through London to the Brit Club for some assistance and a spare pair of trews...and nobody raised an eyebrow!

• Like 1