Royalls

NorfolkNog

28 minutes ago, SEAMASTER said:

Be interesting if any others on here who have had bad experience with them.  It's different if your friends with them. When your paying customer and things are not right. Then you've got every right to say. 

That's a very fair comment. However I do know Colin well enough to know that he takes great pride in his boats and that he is normally, but apparently not always, naturally courteous and approachable. Hopefully the boat was as you wanted and expected.

Tar varnish, do you mean Stockholm tar, Vaughan? We antifoul Brilliant annually and I never have a good conscience about it. :facepalm: What has converted people to antifoul from tar, is it a problem to prep for the next year's application? 

8 hours ago, SEAMASTER said:

Be interesting if any others on here who have had bad experience with them.  It's different if your friends with them. When your paying customer and things are not right. Then you've got every right to say. 

We only know Colin and Lesley as paying customers but have always been welcomed as if we are friends.

• Like 1

I don't understand the comment about Silverline and Colin.We hired from them about six or seven times the boats always clean and well maintained.Never a problem also the hand over very good.Now a boat owner moored at cove close to silver line,we see them all the time,Everyone at the yard is friendly.Colin does not always say a lot,but he will always mention anything to do we boating.Even now I have no fear about recommending Silverline,and will carry on doing so.

We regards to Barnes I hope they maintain the fleet,I will wait and see

Ian

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Polly said:

Tar varnish, do you mean Stockholm tar, Vaughan? We antifoul Brilliant annually and I never have a good conscience about it. :facepalm: What has converted people to antifoul from tar, is it a problem to prep for the next year's application? 

Personally I think it is just kudos. People don't want to think that their boat has "a touch of the tar brush"!

Joking apart, I don't know if it is called Stockholm Tar but the stuff I bought was tar varnish, in a 2.5 or 5 litre tin. It is like a thick paint, a bit thicker than antifouling, and you just slap it on with a roller on the end of a broom handle. Always do it about a week before launching as it takes a few days to form a hard surface. You can put it straight on over old antifouling and you can also antifoul straight over it, if you change your mind in later years. It goes on quite smooth, so it would not slow down a boat like Brilliant, except to say that, in all cases, a coat of any paint is only as smooth as the surface you are applying it to.

I used to buy it from Coopers in Yarmouth, where I bought almost everything except engine parts but sadly, they are no longer there so you will have to look elsewhere. Maybe Norfolk Marine in Hoveton, or perhaps Jewsons?

Try not to drop it on the floor or it will weld your shoes to the ground and always wear gloves, as the only thing that will get it off skin is acetone.

I found it was a good antifouling in its own right and my boats were usually still clean when they came out of the water at the end of the season. I used to re-paint it about every 3 years, no more often than that. If you ever need to remove it, for planking, you can burn it off in the normal way.

Why don't we use it any more? Probably because there are hardly any wooden hire boats any more. I wonder if Hunters still use it?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SEAMASTER said:

I have never hired from them but friends have hired two boats from them two seasons on the trot and had no issues and found them very friendly.

Regards

Alan

If we still hired it would probably still be from Silverline never had anything really go wrong ( an iffy ignition switch that was changed promptly). We did try Royalls twice but not impressed at all. With either the boats or customer service. The last time 7 years ago they only seemed interested in greyhounds.

paul

Re black tar varnish, Stockholm tar, Paddy's brightwork, call it what you will but it is awful stuff, in my experience. We had it on Spray and it built up over the years so we decided to remove it. Traditionally it's burnt off but Marthams boat-shed insurance forbade that so I scraped it off. Didn't realise that tar dust melts at skin temperature thus it coated my face and hands and stuck fast. Wow was that hard to wash off & I stunk of turps! Hi Sambo, which banana boat did I come off, the leg pulls were many! It's cheap and cheerful but impossible to power sand as the speed of the tool melts the tar & sanding sheets very quickly become clogged. I can not think of a less pleasant task than cleaning off the tar from a boat's hull.

• Like 4

I agree. JM, we spent an age with heat guns, gas torches, gloves. Dwarf stools on wheels, small scrapers. It must have been the worst most tedious task of the whole restoration. Removing the thunder boxes was bad enough the tar removal trumped it and then some

Griff

21 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Tape over cracks is no bad thing as it keeps the 'wound' dry until it's convenient to repair. The downside is that what is a temporary fix can become permanent. I would like to think that had Royalls kept their boats then a proper job would have been made of it.

I think it became permanent since this was April last year and there was a lot of it.

3 hours ago, ScrumpyCheddar said:

Our first trip on the broads was with Silverline and it nearly was our last...

Any holiday what you've had to cut short and makes your wife cry to tears is not a good one...  

That's terrible. I hope your wife got over her devastating time. It's awful when you have to shorten your hard earned holiday. Can we ask what went so bad?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Re black tar varnish, Stockholm tar, Paddy's brightwork, call it what you will but it is awful stuff, in my experience. We had it on Spray and it built up over the years so we decided to remove it. Traditionally it's burnt off but Marthams boat-shed insurance forbade that so I scraped it off. Didn't realise that tar dust melts at skin temperature thus it coated my face and hands and stuck fast. Wow was that hard to wash off & I stunk of turps! Hi Sambo, which banana boat did I come off, the leg pulls were many! It's cheap and cheerful but impossible to power sand as the speed of the tool melts the tar & sanding sheets very quickly become clogged. I can not think of a less pleasant task than cleaning off the tar from a boat's hull.

I remember that Peter. You did look a picture! That would be the time you took the "Why did I buy a wooden boat?" photo.

• Like 1

If we are going to explore what went wrong with Scrumpys hire I suggest it is done on another thread. Even better as it appears not to be the norm from Silverline (I have only heard great things about them) the issue is shared by PM for those that wish to know more. 

• Like 7

As the OP on this thread it does seem to have wandered off somewhat even by NBN standards :-):-)

The stuff on anti fouling is most interesting but I believe Peter has started a new thread on this. 

Perhaps we need a new thread on the Silverline debate too. 

It's just that anyone looking for info on Royalls could understandably be a bit confused (I know I am)

No offence intended of course cheersbar

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

If we are going to explore what went wrong with Scrumpys hire I suggest it is done on another thread. Even better as it appears not to be the norm from Silverline (I have only heard great things about them) the issue is shared by PM for those that wish to know more. 

Why? Your happy to hear hoorah stories but not a genuine bad one? I don't know all the why's and wherefores, but if your going to post good stuff, I think it fair to post bad stuff as well? People can make their choices then? It's not a blatant slagging off, just a balanced response.

you've heard a dozen rave reviews. Is that all the customers they have?

I agree though split the thread. But please don't sweep stuff under the carpet. cheers

We lose our impartiality if we do. 

By the way, mikes experience may be out of the norm, but it's genuine. 

• Like 7

The few complaints re Silverline started off with a 'I wasn't made welcome' comment which sometimes tend to be an opinion rather than a fact. I wonder what Colin thought of his customer? However, if a customer is upset because a boat was poorly prepared in any way then I agree, we should have balance if relevant to the debate.

Having met John Wilson the TV, celebrity angler and writer a number of times I will say that I never grew to like the man and perhaps he never liked me either, but he's a damned fine angler and I've learn't a great deal from him, for that he has my respect but there is no way that he'll ever be on my Christmas card list.

13 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The few complaints re Silverline started off with a 'I wasn't made welcome' comment which sometimes tend to be an opinion rather than a fact. I wonder what Colin thought of his customer? However, if a customer is upset because a boat was poorly prepared in any way then I agree, we should have balance if relevant to the debate.

Having met John Wilson the TV, celebrity angler and writer a number of times I will say that I never grew to like the man and perhaps he never liked me either, but he's a damned fine angler and I've learn't a great deal from him, for that he has my respect but there is no way that he'll ever be on my Christmas card list.

Im on a roll tonight. Everything is an opinion unless you provide objective proof. 

Someone who says "the boat was lovely and well prepared" is subjective. A well prepared boat to you may be different to me. 

We know this as some like basic boats, others like all the mod cons. 

If you don't want opinion or subjective comment then we need to strike out all comments. 

I think balanced comments are both objective and subjective. I wasn't made welcome is no more of an opinion than the boat was lovely. 

Even Stevens in my objective opinion based fact finding mission. :naughty:

• Like 3

This is a chestnut that has been talked about many times on many forums, and like most I can see and appreciate both sides. I admit that I feel uncomfortable with negative publicity for any business, yet have no such feelings for the positive side of the coin.

In my view, it would be "unusual" to find a positive comment made where not deserved, but I cannot feel the same of negative comments, as these might be made in anger from a person not seeing the other side's situation.

For my part, I will happily make public any praise I have but will restrict negative comments to PMs only.

• Like 7

Well said baitrunner. I've not been a full member on this site for long I've been viewing as a guest from time to time. As I've been on other Norfolk broads forums. And viewed and read comments. But I'm quite shocked by the negative non comments when someone puts up they've had a bad experience no one wants to hear. Baitrunner is right. You can't talk about poor scrumpy and his poor wife's bad experience saying this has nothing to do with the thread. so if that's the case. What's this thread got to do with tar varnish.?? You can talk about that. But if you read my comment I use to hire from Royalls and richardsons and Barnes. And I had a bad one at silverline. Then you all come out say oh there wonderful. Or oh he is a nice bloke. Oh I can't see that. Not oh that's not good some poor sods holiday was ruined. It would be a bit different if it was someone else or another firm. What is it then, is this site sponsored by silverline so no members can't say anything negative or report on a crap holiday, 

• Like 4

Then I sincerely request that the mods ban ANY comments good or bad as this presents a biased opinion. 

If the papers etc do this they get slagged off.  But we are now encouraging the same. 

I see your point MM and I have done the same in the past. But to be honest I'm sick of the hoorah band as anyone who says anything negative is chastised. 

I see the problems, but it tires me now. If you don't want to hear genuine bad stories then stick your heads in the sand. This isnt a balanced forum anymore. 

I have one more post to respond to. Which will no doubt turn me into a pariah. :bow

• Like 3