Haven't Done This Bit Yet

Pottermill

As for Potter Bridge, I've only hit it once !!! Now I always use the bridge pilot. Wroxham bridge is a case of  "gently does it" Not too gentle though, else you'll lose steering.

I need 6 feet and a bit to get under, do you know how much you need (It's not necessarily the same as mine).

2 hours ago, Pottermill said:

Maurice , how do you get on with Potter bridge if you are coming from Hickling ?

You do know that when Maurice Mynah says...

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I always use the bridge pilot

...the definition of 'Bridge Pilot' can alter depending upon length of stay at the Pleasure Boat and the contents of his 'cooler' and may include a variety of bridges including those of starships? :naughty:

BytwZ7OCcAARGxX.jpg:large

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Dear old Potter(Bridge)sorry to say not been under for many years due to boat size.What I  would like to see is the bridge in fact dismantled  and rebuilt,or a bridge built over the top.Over the years the bridge is reducing in height. 

Ian

Sorry Alan but the Potter Bridge isn't reducing in height. Not according to the structural surveys at any rate. Mind you, Mr Mogadon over at 'I'm as Popular as the Poll Tax Towers' tells us that the river can't possibly be higher, or needs dredging or something or other. I think JM wrote a good piece on the bridge a bit back as he listens more than I do...whenever Mr Mogadon speaks I just get a waft of farmyard. I think between the structural surveyor's report and something out of Yare House I'm going to back the surveyor.

8 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Sorry I am confused Are you calling Alan.Yet you are quoting me.I can't disagree re the bridge height.It does appear however that each year for whatever reason fewer boats get under the bridge.

IAN

:broadscot

Er! Would that be by chance that fewer boats have been built to go under the bridge?

• Like 1

The gap between the water level and the top of the bridge is reducing.

The water rising?

The bridge sinking?

Well it's one or the other. Boats that used to get through relatively easily, now can do so less frequently and trust me, it aint them what's growing, its the 'ole that's shrinking.

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

The gap between the water level and the top of the bridge is reducing.

The water rising?

The bridge sinking?

Well it's one or the other. Boats that used to get through relatively easily, now can do so less frequently and trust me, it aint them what's growing, its the 'ole that's shrinking.

Those old boys who built the bridge knew wot they were a doin. If not that would hev sunk years ago, there won't be nuthen there. The thing would have sunk into the marsh years ago. No they built it proper. Then hundreds of years later they put a road across it so motor mobiles could go across and the hoss an cart hed to make way. They put stuff called tarmac down. Now you listen bor. That stuff int bendy. If the bridge sunk there would be a gap, a bump, a gret old ridge in the road on buth sides of the bridge. They would forever be a mending on it. But they dunt. Cos there's nuffin to mend. 

So the water is rising, only at Potter it would seem. Is the same happening at Thurne Mouth, Ludham Bridge Wroxham Bridge. Perhaps, but certainly not to the extent to that which we are led to believe. So why is Potter so unique.

So. Is the bridge sinking, the water rising, or is the bottom of the river rising. Mud, sediment allowing the water to seek it's only escape, the water has to rise.

The solution. Dredging. Remove the silt caused by irresponsible farming, caused by the lack of commitment by the BA, the seemingly lack of commitment by those authorities who keep a low profile but nevertheless hold enourmous sway with regard to the destiny of the Broads with little regard to the Broads People.

You and me.

Andrew

3 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Sorry I am confused Are you calling Alan.Yet you are quoting me.I can't disagree re the bridge height.It does appear however that each year for whatever reason fewer boats get under the bridge.

IAN

:broadscot

Sorry Ian...it's the '4' before Ian. With my dysphasia the 4Ian looks like Alan.