3 Rivers Race 2017

TheQ

That woke you up, no it's not early this year, this is a quick heads up for those interested in competing, I've just been chatting with the organiser.

So here's the confirmed information.

Race date 3rd and 4th June 2017

First Start 11:00 near High Tide!!!

Entry forms will be going out early February after the next 3RR committee meeting. If you weren't in last years race but wish to be, then some time in early February, the entry form On the Horning Sailing Club website /3 rivers/ entry forms, should be updated to the 2017 version.

I'll be counting you all round the  Hickling Mark...

Now the date is out it's probably the right time for me to put in my plea. Is there anyone out there in need of a hightly competent crew member for the 3RR, preferably in the River Cruiser class (although I also have experience of A-Raters!). I'm a veteran of 8 previous 3RR's ass well as may other Broads races (Yare Navigation, Cecil Howard, Down River etc.). Also extensive alternative racing experience from dinghies to The Fastnet Race. Experience of all roles (Helm, foredeck, Main, trim etc.).

My sailing C/v is here.

• Like 2

Advice from someone who has literally got the polo shirt from a previous encounter with the 3R'R'

To call it a 'Race' is a misnomer and that term should be referred to the Trading standards authority.            Take a book, a big book with large type (Large type for when it gets dark).         You will not need hair gell / spray to keep your beau-font in place.            You will need plenty of caffine injections.         You will need adrenaline tablets (If there is such a thing) as you will not naturally produce it during the 'Race'.   The muscles that will ache most on completion of the 'Race' will be your jaw from yawning and your eyelids from drooping  -  Unless you have to paddle the blasted rag-n-stick back to base to avoid missing breakfast due to the lack of any sign of a zephyr let alone a full blown gentle breeze as we did.     Forget seeing all the turn points, best get someone actually there bank-side to txt you a photo of them just to prove that they do in fact exist.     There are no bridges to encounter during the 3R'R' - That is a viscous rumour - Well I didn't see any.     Be prepared to be amazed / disappointed /  astounded as a pair of swans overtake your rag-n-stick during 'Race' conditions, oh and yes the swans were paddling NOT flying, I'm sure they did this just to take the pi55 - It worked!     Do not for a minute dare to engage in any tom-foolery with bank side spectators that are close friends - this is much frowned upon, mind you, you will have plenty of time to converse with them (I think that that is indeed permitted).      When under 'Race' conditions it is acceptable and possible whilst on the upper deck to hold up a newspaper and read it.    Don't bother taking any of those plastic garden spinning flower petals - They won't spin.  If on a proper woody, take along some varnish,  well it is good form and much better than watching paint dry!

The above albeit most of it being true or fact based is of course tongue-in-cheek.   If there is a rumour of some sort of breeze forecast above 0:01mph I might yet volunteer / Beg to do it again one day

Griff

• Like 5

I once made a wayfarer sailor a cup of tea during racing at Beccles regatta. The whole fleet were becalmed and he ground to a halt right beside our cockpit. I passed a mug of tea over and by the time he had drunk it he had drifted maybe 6 foot. Then the tide turned and the rescue boat came and towed them all back as they were drifting backwards towards the bridge!

Thank you for that wonderful advice Griff, My perspective of the race is slightly different. I found myself heading upstream on the Bure, at Horning when two thousand sailies decided to head downstream, each and every one of them howling after my blood. Not an experience I have any great wish to repeat.

It is however odds on favourite that I will have forgotten the race date, and will find myself back in the midst of these 'vampires on crack' again this year.

• Like 5

I well remember a certain Gentleman of Yorkshire that retired to his bunk at an early hour, turning his back on the thrill of listening to booming bitterns and deserting the deck. In fairness he was fairly early to rise but I think that was only because in his slumbers he'd remembered another vintage joke that he had to regale to the crew before he forgot it again. Seen here 'entertaining' all and sundry including the swans swimming past us.

Three Rivers 028.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Thank you for that wonderful advice Griff, My perspective of the race is slightly different. I found myself heading upstream on the Bure, at Horning when two thousand sailies decided to head downstream, each and every one of them howling after my blood. Not an experience I have any great wish to repeat.

It is however odds on favourite that I will have forgotten the race date, and will find myself back in the midst of these 'vampires on crack' again this year.

John, paint the roof of your boat orange, stick big 'R's on the bow, decorate the roof and decks with empty lager bottles, turn up the boom box to full, push the throttle forward and waggle the rudder. I guarantee that the racing fleet will give you a wide berth!

1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

Mr Q sir, I have just noticed this bit... Where exactly is the race going ?

The usual route is from Horning, round three marks in any order then back to Horning. The marks are on Hickling Broad, The Ant just below Ludham Bridge and somewhere on the Lower Bure (Usually between Acle and Stracey Arms). In a typical year boats are flying around in all directions all day and drifting around all night (when the wind usually dies).

The competitors can go round the turning points in any order.

from  Horning to...

The turning points .

Ludham bridge  but turning in the slightly wider bit before the bridge round a bouy, NOT going under it.

A bouy IN South Walsham Broad,

A bouy ON Hickling Broad, Normally up Near the sailing club ( it's handy for us to go and get some chips during the night....)

A bouy below Acle bridge, Normally the Stracy arms (Hindu temple now?), but it could be just past the bridge if there is no wind or another mile or two below Stracy if the weather and tides are perfect.

With the start this year being near high tide if there is any sort of decent wind, the fast boats are likely to do:

From Horning to Ludham to South Walsham to Hickling to Acle and back to Horning

the rest are likely to do:

From Horning to Ludham to South Walsham to Stracy to Hickling and back to Horning.

Of course if there are light winds or delays to the start , then anything can happen as everyone recalculates their best route round....

Thinking about it. Some of the middle speed range boats, if they are in one of the early starts, will, if there is a good wind, will go direct to Acle against the tide, then up with the remaining tide to Hickling and try to do the two short legs on the way back.

Those that get the tides right, win the race, if you can do the race in 2 or 3 tides you stand a chance.

This is where the slow boats have a problem, they always need 4 tides, which means being on the water overnight when the wind drops and you often end up hanging onto the reeds to stop being washed back down river.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, In a weeks time we should be all home, and if the forecast is correct it could be a long slow race.

If I can get this tablet to connect to hickling sailing clubs WiFi I'll try to put the odd update out during the race.

Good luck everyone..

The 3RR web Cams are begining to start appearing on the HSC Web Site we have a nice view of the carpet at Martham boats and the Office wall at Acle.

Here's hoping the rejigged website  /  cameras will survive the onslaught of everyone logging in next Saturday morning

They were all there earlier, there appears to be something strange depending which computer I'm using to look at them.

if you go to this page

https://horning-sailing.club/index.php

Then down in the bottom Right hand corner is a view switching between cameras at the club I see the first competitors have arrived, and someone is getting a Yeoman out

The web cams buttons on the HSC website are now working again, Martham, Hickling and the two Horning Cameras are now up and running again properly. Though the HSC up river camera could do with a little touch to the left as it's showing too much club and not enough river for my liking. I'll have  a look again Thursday as I'm There, picking up the equipment for the guardship then..

The Yeoman Is now safely moored back on the club in it's usual place.