3 Rivers Race 2017

TheQ

Oh both, for sure.:dance This paddling between the bridges takes skill too; one crew came through in the afternoon with four paddling hard and the skipper on the helm doing a slave driver act for the benefit of the spectators. One 'slave' managed a perfect stroke that sent water showering back over the skipper, to everyone's amusement, all, without losing pace:Sailing. Skill dont'ya know? 

• Like 1

We watched the start from the New Inn at Horning. Just as much interest as the actual race was watching the work going on at this busy pub, Gus +2 on duty keeping an ever-changing mooring of mostly inexperienced day boat crews flowing without impeding the race. Huge efforts went into this well done that pub!

• Like 1

Morning Awl,

I'm home now after the race, and a couple more hours sleep.

The good news the cameras stayed up most of the time but the Acle bridge camera refused to join in the fun...

The general race from the Hickling point of view.

First boat an A rater arrived 14:07

Second boat a Norfolk Punt at 15:31,

Third boat 17:03

Then the mass of boats came, so by 20:55 all but 3 boats had been to us.

At  21:55 the last boat had gone round us. ( The missing boat was an incorrect number on the paperwork supplied)

So in a highly unusual race, all but six boats passed us in a 4 hour period.

When I left Horning SC at 09:00 after returning the equipment and breakfast there were still a few boats to finish.

Provisionally A raters took the first two places, one did the two short legs and Acle First, the other did Potter then Acle the the two short legs.

As I guesstimated the front 2/3s of the fleet went Acle first with  1, 2 or no short legs before the last 1/3 did some short legs then Potter first. From what I've heard the tide change was a couple of hours late, meaning more could have done the legs then Acle, for a better finishing time.

On the way back they had a massive log jam at Horning Waterworks when the majority ran out of wind. Even most of the punts were caught in this, meaning an unusually long night for them. It also brought many of the back markers to join the majority of the fleet.

This meant a Norfolk dinghy ( handicap 25% off of its finishing time) beat Norfolk punts (6% added to its finishing time) , over the water before handicaps were applied!!! Or roughly after handicap six to seven hours ahead including handicaps!!!! In a 19 hours-ish race time.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Polly said:

Oh both, for sure.:dance This paddling between the bridges takes skill too; one crew came through in the afternoon with four paddling hard and the skipper on the helm doing a slave driver act for the benefit of the spectators. One 'slave' managed a perfect stroke that sent water showering back over the skipper, to everyone's amusement, all, without losing pace:Sailing. Skill dont'ya know? 

Was that me? 

41 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

Was that me? 

I don't know, it was at about 4.30 one of the first cruisers, possibly the first through Potter, and just after they came through the old bridge; anyway it was a)deliberate and b ) gave us all a good laugh.

12 minutes ago, Polly said:

I don't know, it was at about 4.30 one of the first cruisers, possibly the first through Potter, and just after they came through the old bridge; anyway it was a)deliberate and b ) gave us all a good laugh.

me in front with hat on, 

IMG_8342.JPG

• Like 3

Although I enjoyed seeing all the vessels 'drift' past me on Saturday afternoon, while I was working on Susie, I did not expect to find evidence of one or more collisions with my boat.
Moored all weekend at Martham, I turned it round on Sunday to continue my work only to find the damage just foreward of midships, on the port side, see image below.

DamagePic.jpg.53b1c8c683facab6feaf8c0a70ef8b4b.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I know she isn't the prettiest boat on the broads, but she is mine and I like her a lot.

The point I'm trying to make here, is that someone did this and they know they did it. But no sign of a note or indication that they were sorry for the damage they caused either.

DISAPPOINTED:39_angry:

15 minutes ago, merlin65uk said:

Although I enjoyed seeing all the vessels 'drift' past me on Saturday afternoon, while I was working on Susie, I did not expect to find evidence of one or more collisions with my boat.
Moored all weekend at Martham, I turned it round on Sunday to continue my work only to find the damage just foreward of midships, on the port side, see image below.

Don't get me wrong, I know she isn't the prettiest boat on the broads, but she is mine and I like her a lot.

The point I'm trying to make here, is that someone did this and they know they did it. But no sign of a note or indication that they were sorry for the damage they caused either.

I can appreciate your annoyance, but surely it wasn't only 3RR competitors who were on the river last Week end - or am I missing something ?

Now, before all the sailies close ranks and rally together (And please remember, I DO know what that's like) lets look at the evidence both circumstantial and actual.

There was a major sailie race that day involving 90+ yachts.

The height of the marks are consistent with a sailing boat and the direction of them is consistant with a slow moving boat or boats.

Being a race there may be excuse for making contact with the owner at a later time, which still could happen.

and finally, Merlin65uk has not said this was done by a saily, though I would say it was most likely.

• Like 1

There were a lot of day boats above the bridge on Saturday, so there are other options, MM, although Merlin says he was aboard on Saturday pm.  and it does look like bowsprit height. However, it's not the point in a way, someone was aware they scraped this boat and ducked out. That is disgraceful and I fully sympathise with the owner. Maybe the race organisers were informed, as I can see that stopping in the dark to write a note might just not be viable.

2 hours ago, merlin65uk said:

So, at some point in time between you last looking at that side of the boat and when you discovered the damage (obviously minus all the time you were actually there to see what happened), the damage was sustained.

What caused it? I really wouldn't like to say without inspecting it more closely. Yes it is consistent with a collision with a boat, but what sort of boat is impossible to tell.

I do sympathise, but equally I don't think it's reasonable to blame any particular group of river users without more evidence. 

• Like 1

While I wasn't trying to blame any particular river users over the weekend, I did witness just how close the sailors were getting to the moored vessels along that stretch of the river, while I was aboard my boat.

I understand the need to use as much of the breeze as possible, before changing tac, due to the lack of wind. I have sailed myself.

One or two crew members did seem a little surprised, when they realised someone was on board, thinking it unattended.

I guess I was making a point that the vessel has been moored in the same place for quite a while, without damage being caused.. Coinesdence it may be, that it happened during the 3RR event.

Had it just been surface scuffs, I probably wouldn't even have mentioned it on here, but it has broken through the gelcoat, so will need serious repair work!

I just wish someone had owned up and left an apology...  Not too much to ask!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, merlin65uk said:

Don't blame you for being upset, I would be too. In an ideal world someone will come back and at least apologise. The damage appears to be from something quite sharp so whoever it was, please don't moor besides me! Actually I think that your boat is quite pretty and she's certainly more functional than many boats plus she goes under that bridge, a lot to be said for her! She is a Shetland Speedwell isn't she? 

• Like 2

I was disappointed to see the damage, because it may be a 3RR boat, but also because it was put in this thread and it may not be a 3RR boat that caused the damage

I know the port bow of My motor boat I haven't seen for Six months, as I always moor;  bow in (permanent mooring) /stern on or starboard side on elsewhere.

We were monitoring the boats coming onto Hickling broad (through binoculars) from before 14:00 to be ready for when the first competitor came onto the broad till roughly 22:00 when the last one left. ( We heard on the radio when the first boat left Martham for us).

During that time about a dozen Day boats came onto the Broad and about half went to the pub before leaving . More Day boats may well have gone to Horsey Mere.

What suprised us was the number of non competing sailing boats of all sorts that, left the broad, disappeared for some time before returning. I was surprised as with the extras coming through that day, I might have given the narrow channels down to Martham and beyond a miss.

As it was only about 75 Competitors came through, due to Retirements and Did Not Starts.

Sadly there won't be any more pictures from me, as all but six boats came through in a rush and I was doing the documentation and radio work. The three others were on Binoculars, calling from the boat getting the Race number of each boat as they went past us and making the tea.

• Like 4

Re that damage, we can all have our suspicions but were it just a passing boat, whether power or sail, then I would have expected the damage to run parallel to the water. Plus for something to cut through the gel it would need to be quite sharp. I really don't think the evidence points to any particular type of boat. 

• Like 2