Snow

grendel

well as I left the office I thought, great thats ok its raining, walked around the office and got in the car, hey its sleet now, by the time I had driven the mile to the m25, it was snow, the journey went downhill from there visibility not great, roads (motorways all the way) slippery, 2 1/2 hours to get 60 miles, at least everyone was driving reasonably. well all except the chap following me home from the petrol station, I was driving smoothly not sliding on the corners, yet he was very close behind, and almost every time I looked back he was side on to the road. got home with at least an inch of snow on the ground, and a front of the car thatt just had 2 holes in the snow, in front of the lights, work tomorrow - well we will see, traffic map will be consulted before I leave.

• Like 1

We've had about half an inch of the white stuff this evening. Stopped now, but will be interesting if it freezes overnight. We stocked up at the supermarket this morning and plan to hunker down until it goes away. As Grendel observed, a fair number of people don't know how to drive in snow, and I don't fancy being around them while they are learning.

cheers

Steve

I remember several years ago driving back from Manchester to Norfolk.

the snow started about 4pm and I left at 5. 

It was pretty bad by the time I got on the A47. I was in a landrover and comfortable going slow in the traffic queues. Way too bad to overtake even in a decent car.  But some decided it was too slow and were overtaking, snaking all over the place. 

no doubt someone else would have been hurt if they had lost control. 

May I just put a warning out about driving in the snow. based upon some of the things I have seen this morning on the way to work.

1. when you are driving your van, dont drive 3 foot off the bumper in front, with the weight on your vehicle you are not going to stop as quick as the car in front and may well slide on the ice.

2 always clear all the snow off of the bonnet and roof of your vehicle, there is nothing worse than touching the brakes and getting a roof full of snow sliding down over the windscreen. Also when cruising on the motorway, the snow will slide off the back of your car and obscure the screen of that van 3 foot off your bumper.

3. Keep back from large lorries, they cant get to the roof of their vehicle and clear off the snow and ice, one lorry in front of me this morning was shedding 8 ft x 4 ft sheets of ice off its roof, and its very disconcerting seeing one of those wafting in your direction.

4. even though the road looks clear there are patches of black ice out there (the M20 was closed due to accidents this morning, and I came past at least 3 accidents on the A2) so please keep your speed down, and leave reasonable gaps.

Here endeth the first lesson, stay safe everyone

• Like 7

Arghhhhhh, it's snowing at Oulton Broad! The schools will be closed on Monday, trains will stop because it's the wrong sort, shops will go into meltdown as customers panic buy, roads will be clogged up as people drive at three miles an hour. Meanwhile I'm ready for those seasonal calendar shots of a lifetime, best go out and tidy up my mooring so it looks all pretty! 

• Like 6

Blinking 'eck, the snow is now laying, the flakes are huge, the end is nigh! It's actually rather nice to see, real Christmas card snow flakes but no white-out. We have a weather alert at the moment but if this the worst that we can expect then great, I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Labrador said:

Snowed, rained, thawed. All in a couple of hours, by god that came close to the winter of 62/63, considering all the usual hype.

Don't knock the winter of 62/63....   if my parents had had a telly I would not be here!

• Like 3

On 13 January 2017 at 8:26 AM, grendel said:

May I just put a warning out about driving in the snow. based upon some of the things I have seen this morning on the way to work.

1. when you are driving your van, dont drive 3 foot off the bumper in front, with the weight on your vehicle you are not going to stop as quick as the car in front and may well slide on the ice.

2 always clear all the snow off of the bonnet and roof of your vehicle, there is nothing worse than touching the brakes and getting a roof full of snow sliding down over the windscreen. Also when cruising on the motorway, the snow will slide off the back of your car and obscure the screen of that van 3 foot off your bumper.

3. Keep back from large lorries, they cant get to the roof of their vehicle and clear off the snow and ice, one lorry in front of me this morning was shedding 8 ft x 4 ft sheets of ice off its roof, and its very disconcerting seeing one of those wafting in your direction.

4. even though the road looks clear there are patches of black ice out there (the M20 was closed due to accidents this morning, and I came past at least 3 accidents on the A2) so please keep your speed down, and leave reasonable gaps.

Here endeth the first lesson, stay safe everyone

Hi Grendel,

so I assume you live in Kent. I used t live in Gravesend, then Kingswood, then Northfleet. In fact as we speak, I'm in a hotel room in Gravesend. We,re up visiting family, and drove up yesterday afternoon from Bournemouth. Our journey up was excellent, but never found any snow till we got on the M25. The thickest we found was at Wrotham Hill, and down to Meopham. I was expecting everything to be really bad as they were saying the weather and snow were making driving conditions treacherous, but as usual, it was,nt as bad as reported. Driving in snow should not frighten anybody, just watch your speed, be very smooth, and leave plenty of room in front.

• Like 1