Silverline

NorfolkNog

Wow. This is rather a different story, isn't it?

For a start I can tell you exactly where the flies came from - fishermen! Previous customers had bought maggots and had spilt them, presumably in the aft cockpit, so that they had wiggled off into the bilges. Imagine what the average size tin of fishing maggots looks like after they have spent 2 weeks in the warmth of a boat's bilges and then they all hatch out into bluebottles, in the middle of the night!

A traumatic and impossible experience, especially to first time customers. A large boatyard would have immediately put you on a replacement boat but maybe a small yard had nothing else available.

As to the other things such as the button for the shower tray pump I would ask did you phone the yard to ask their advice, but I understand this all amounts to a ruined holiday.

You are are still here on the forum so presumably you are still boating on the Broads. I hope therefore that you have not been put off and have recovered from this experience. Perhaps you would like to tell us more about what Hoseasons said, when you informed them?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Labrador said:

I'm not siding with any one, as I don't know anything about Silverline, but having spent 16 of my 48 years in the industry on hirefleets, can I just ask, did you phone up and report these problems?

If the bilge pump was going off 'most of the night' it was probably going off most of the day as well, though you might not hear it. I would hazard a guess that the flies were coming from the result of a previous hirer having his fishing maggots getting into the bilges and going through their natural cycle of turning into flies (seen this more than once on a boat not out on hire for a week and when then boat was opened up to prepare it, we were met by literally hundreds of flies). Not something the yard can foresee.

Surely the shower pump button, if overlooked on your trial run, would be pointed out in your boat manual, which you would have seen when you read it, you did read it I take it, many don't bother.

We didn't get shown the shower pump button... if we did do you think we would let it over flow and not turn it on????.... there was no mention in the book about because we looked..... couldn't hear the bilge pump in the day cause the engine was on majority of the time... and maggots should be banned... boat yards should be more observant if customers using fishing equipment then they can expect the unexpected... there was no excuse of the poor rude attitude we had...

• Like 4

Fair enough Scrumpy, as I said I'm  not taking sides, just wanted clarification of your facts. Quite  agree with the maggot bit, unfortunately if they get spilt they go down the tiniest  of gaps and depending on the temperature, can take up to  some weeks to hatch, something in which  the yard is impotent until  they appear.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Wow. This is rather a different story, isn't it?

For a start I can tell you exactly where the flies came from - fishermen! Previous customers had bought maggots and had spilt them, presumably in the aft cockpit, so that they had wiggled off into the bilges. Imagine what the average size tin of fishing maggots looks like after they have spent 2 weeks in the warmth of a boat's bilges and then they all hatch out into bluebottles, in the middle of the night!

A traumatic and impossible experience, especially to first time customers. A large boatyard would have immediately put you on a replacement boat but maybe a small yard had nothing else available.

As to the other things such as the button for the shower tray pump I would ask did you phone the yard to ask their advice, but I understand this all amounts to a ruined holiday.

You are are still here on the forum so presumably you are still boating on the Broads. I hope therefore that you have not been put off and have recovered from this experience. Perhaps you would like to tell us more about what Hoseasons said, when you informed them?

Hoseasons was brilliant and couldn't apologise enough.... we gave them the photos and they investigated it.... we met a lovely couple who owned a share boat called wishful thinkin... they was shocked by what happened and they told us to call into Broom... And we did... So we booked a broom came back last year had a fantastic time... and we booked again for this year.. and Hoseasons gave us a cracking discount for the hassle we had.. so nope haven't been put off the broads one little bit... and the wife loves boat and the broads....

• Like 7

I’ve been following this thread with interest and wondering whether to make any comment. I hope regular visitors will know that I always try to put a positive slant on Broads businesses wherever possible. However my one and only hire from Silverline was not my happiest experience.

Following the handover I folded down the windscreen (it was one of the centre steer Alphas). The day was hot and sunny but quite windy. Mrs Silverline came rushing across the yard and berated me for folding down the screen as “it spoils the look of our boats” I was a bit perplexed at this but not wishing to offend put the screen back up. As soon as we got down the dyke I folded it back again where it stayed most of the week.

The boat broke down in the middle of Breydon and had to be towed back to Great Yarmouth. Although this was not our fault and we lost most of the days cruising, the reception on our return was frosty to put it mildly.

There was nothing I could complain about as such but I felt more like a naughty schoolboy than a customer. Compare that with the warmth of Jenny at Swancraft or Stephanie at Bridgecraft. Lovely people.

I hate to knock any Broads business. I agree that the boats are very well presented and accept that the yard have their devoted followers. I also respect the views of Peter and others who have spoken up for them. But I’m afraid its Bridgecraft all the way for me and Swancraft of course when the lottery comes up and I can buy my own boat!

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Labrador said:

I'm not siding with any one, as I don't know anything about Silverline, but having spent 16 of my 48 years in the industry on hirefleets, can I just ask, did you phone up and report these problems?

If the bilge pump was going off 'most of the night' it was probably going off most of the day as well, though you might not hear it. I would hazard a guess that the flies were coming from the result of a previous hirer having his fishing maggots getting into the bilges and going through their natural cycle of turning into flies (seen this more than once on a boat not out on hire for a week and when then boat was opened up to prepare it, we were met by literally hundreds of flies). Not something the yard can foresee.

Surely the shower pump button, if overlooked on your trial run, would be pointed out in your boat manual, which you would have seen when you read it, you did read it I take it, many don't bother.

I can relate to much of what Labrador has written, not least the comment about angler's leaving maggots in the bilge. Why oh why do they do it? No excuse unless they think it's funny. 

The hirer's manual, unless things have changed since my involvement with the industry, these are constantly updated and would most probably, surely, have reference to the bilge pump switch. I wouldn't expect first time hirers to know about these switches but, unless folk are in the Horning area, help and advice is only a phone-call away. Very often asking other hirers about problems will elicit a helpful answer. 

Back to nasties left by previous customers, dog hairs have to the number one complaint followed by pubic hairs in the shower.

Re high tides, bridges do have height guides which hopefully people are aware of. There is a great deal for hirers to be aware of but it's all on the internet and in the manual. 

• Like 3

Wow gentlemen I thought I was on another forum reading some of the use of language. Pity also it got mixed up with the Royalls thread which should have been an epitaph to a great boatyard. Anyway thats forums for you.

So what do I think of Silverline, if you don't already know? Silverline is for me the best hireboat yard on the Broads. Best boats, friendliest staff and overall best experience. This is not to say they get it right every time but no boatyard does and if you are the aggrieved party that will will leave a sour taste and you go elsewhere. I've seen or heard complaints, I think about  every hire yard from time to time. Sometimes I'm really surprised when people have a moan with Royalls, Summercaft and Silverline but their booking records show that most of the time they get it spot on.

Ok, why do I think Silverline is the best and why have I booked with them again this year to add on to a syndicate week.

Their boats are immaculately presented both inside and out, not only on the first week of the season but also the last. 

The Silverline livery is understated but smart with no over branding.

The boats are fitted out to Silverlines unique designs which are  modern but with a classic touch and built to a very high standard. 

The inventory is extensive and of quality, more John Lewis than the usual £land offerings.

The fleet is large enough to give a good choice of designs and budgets but small enough to ensure a personal experience. 

The family and staff are friendly, helpful, totally professional  both in action and appearance.

The boatyard is neat, designed with thought and again gives a sense of professionalism.

OK, that is why I think Silverline is the best hire yard and I also have a few more personal reasons for choosing them. So there you go, if your Silverline experience was bad you go somewhere else just as you will if you find another yard lacking. There are now no bad yards in my opinion, although there are a couple it would be a last resort! After all we all have our own priorities. If I want to critisise Silverline negatively or positively  I will report here and elsewhere after my trip in April. The only caution I would say is when giving negative criticisms about a yard is to keep the moan to within the last few years, otherwise it is unfair to the yard and to the reader. I have knocked a certain  Wroxham yard in the past but the events happened ten years ago. That yard is still in business and I think an experience from that long ago has no relevance to today even though it may cloud (probably unfairly) my own impression.

Fred

• Like 13

I tell you what if this was a firing squad. Me and Scrumpy would of been shot today. Unbelievable. You asked what went wrong. And I gave you my account. And yet again it's oh we don't believe any of this. Well as baitrunner said to many hoorah band don't want to believe what's written. How can this thread be out of context. 

Seamaster, we don't shoot people on this forum. For many years I was a member of another Broads forum, I joined NBN to get away from the aggravation. In my opinion, you are seeking confrontation, please, reconsider your approach. I was pleased to see you join the forum, would not like to see you leave, but aggression is not necessary. Sorry if you don't like what I've written. I'm not disbelieving you but equally I'm not enjoying your outbursts.

• Like 11

I have kept out of this, but in the absence of Iain, feel it is time to say something.

This is a friendly - open - forum and is well known for being such. People have their stories of woe and people give their opinions on what and why.

Everybody is entitled to say something - but let us please keep it friendly and not get into ''slanging matches''.

• Like 17

Having no intention of diverting this thread elsewhere subject matter wise, I thought it best to post this here.  A quote from Vaughan, copied from the closed thread:

Quote -I missed all this yesterday evening - just as well by the look of it. I am sorry I wandered off about antifouling but then, I was asked. - Unquote

Indeed he was asked and I was the one that asked as I found it potentially very interesting. I do apologise if it had an undesired effect and indeed apologise too to Norfolk Nog as the OP, I had no intention of redirecting nor hijacking your thread.

Indeed this is the friendly forum and thats why I joined it - long may it continue to be so.

There, enough said, now back to the original thread and heres to the longevity of NBN.

cheers

Trev

• Like 9

Some posts on this thread have left me extremely concerned about the level of customer service which is  perceived as acceptable by some businesses.  Firstly, we have Labrador who ' having spent 16 of my 48 years in the industry on hirefleets '  thinks it acceptable to reply to a customer's legitimate concerns with - 

' Surely the shower pump button, if overlooked on your trial run, would be pointed out in your boat manual, which you would have seen when you read it, you did read it I take it, many don't bother.'

I have rarely read a nastier, more condescending statement.

Then we have Vaughan's - ' Surely this must have been a mis-understanding since a hire boatyard is like a small hotel - we have loads of spare linen!

Again, an appalling reply to what most in the industry would consider a commonplace request.

There has been a lot of discussion on this and other forums about the reason why so many small yards are closing. If the above comments are a true reflection of the attitude of these businesses, then the only question is how they managed to survive for so long.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I can relate to much of what Labrador has written, not least the comment about angler's leaving maggots in the bilge. Why oh why do they do it? No excuse unless they think it's funny. 

I believe that a lot of people hiring boats only fish whilst on holiday, so are unaware of how 1pt of maggots can sweat up up in a 1pt bait box (other quantities and box sizes available). This in turn allows maggots to escape, they clean them up on finding said escape thinking oh got em, but if only 2% say find there way into the bilges and say 1/2% survive the life cycle in the bilge that is one hell of a lot of blue bottles.   

So I very much they are put in the bilges on purpose, and why would a boat yard go looking to see if there happens to be any in the bilges, even if they did look to find them impossible task really.

As for banning maggots on hire boats, i would say that would lead to a huge loos of bookings in the fishing season, as most hire boats passed have a rod or two either on the roof or some one using one!.

Just my two penarth Charlie :broadscot

• Like 7

I agree with many I Feel this thread is taking  a turn for the worse.Its not what I believe  we are like.In the main we agree disagree.Offer advice and commit.Thats what makes us different. There have been many views on silverline. Fair enough  if you have not had good treatment  or holiday. By the same token many have praise  for them Attacking others does not help.I would suggest  those that dislike NBN try another forum 

Ian

• Like 3

In defence of everyone and all of their opinions etc ,  can I just say that we all feel miffed at times that our particular point of view is not somehow the majorities but please don't let us start saying to members  , well if your not happy leave,  that is  not the answer.   Everyone thank goodness is entitled to their 2 penuth as Charlie put it and long may it remain so.  

Just in case you are wondering I am speaking from experience as once or twice I have thought sod it I am off but that would be cutting my nose off to spite my face as Mum used to put it.

Be thankful that we live in a country where you can say your piece and not be shot for doing so.

• Like 9

Well I'm sorry, but I missed all this again last night! We had thunderstorms coming over so I had to pull the plug on the phone line. We have already lost a Live-box like that and they are a nuisance to replace.

Concerning maggots, whenever I am giving a trial run to people with fishing gear I tell them about this problem and tell them to store the tin of maggots in the gas bottle compartment, which is totally sealed from the rest of the boat. Job done!

I would just like to say, Cadenza, that in the line you have quoted from me, I thought I was speaking on the customers' side! It is indeed strange that they were not given extra pillows and they should have been. I felt that the rest of my post was a fair précis of the situation as we had been told it, up to then. We were asked to open a new thread on the subject of some bad experience with Silverline and so we discussed it, with comments from all sides.

Unless I have missed something, I don't see anything wrong with that.     :hiding:

• Like 5

I've never hired from Silverline but given that we would like to return to the southern rivers at some point I have often looked at their boats on Hoseasons. The reviews tend to be quite mixed as is also the case on Trip Advisor. But then you have to remember that the majority of people don't probably bother to write reviews so those that do will generally have something that has motivated them to do so - and this tends to be because you had a view at one end of the scale or the other. Either your experience was so good that you want to encourage other people to go there or you felt that something was very wrong and you want to warn others.

I think that every business has their good days and their not so good days. As many of you know, I loved hiring from Swancraft and would always have gone back. This was because their boats were immaculately turned out, the yard was welcoming and the men who did our handover were usually friendly and quite thorough. Having said that on the last occasion that we were there we got a newbie and we felt that we knew more about the boat than he did. On returning the boat they always wanted to get on with preparing to turn it round again and we found on one occasion that not a single person even bothered to ask if we had a nice time - that might have put us off had it been our first hire with them. 

We also enjoyed hiring from NBD until one bad experience has put us completely off them for now. But we know that was probably completely out of character so maybe we'll go back eventually ... or maybe we won't. 

The point I am getting around to is that if you had a topic about any of the boatyards I think that you would get very different opinions and experiences from different people. And partly that will be down to our own individual expectations as customers given how much we look forward to our holidays and how hard we work all year to save our pennies to make our dreams a reality. Plus I do think that if you go back time after time and become known as "regulars" you may feel more that you are amongst friends ... but they've got to deliver the service that makes you want to go back in the first place.

What I have always enjoyed about this forum, even before I was a member, is being able to read other people's opinions and experiences and thoughts on boats and holidays and the Norfolk Broads. Then I can make my own mind up. And long may it continue.

• Like 14