Silverline

NorfolkNog

11 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I have been told that on really cold days a fisherman would pop a couple of maggots in his mouth to warm them up. Makes em wriggle more. Please tell me it is not true.

Andrew

Perfectly true.

Hospitals still use maggots to clean some forms of injury.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maggot_therapy

Dave, don't you start, I'm on the brink of giving up fishing and taking up golf and I hate golf :cry Maggots in the fridge, maggots in the mouth and maggots in wounds, I feel a very bad horror movie is in the making lol and people moan about them in the bilges.....as for worms, don't start me on worms :facepalm:

Grace

• Like 4

Well here's another for you Grace

when I was about 11 or 12 I first went fishing with some friends from school and after an abysmal day fishing (think we scared the fish away laughing & joking) I had some maggots left in a tub so I put them in the coal bin in the kitchen (we had coal fires in those days) as we were going to go fishing again the next weekend.

well you can imagine what happened next, needless to say I wasn't allowed maggots again :naughty:

• Like 4

I add my 'go go juice' to give the maggots some extra wiggle. Add turmeric powder to the bran when you change it with a dash of Encona Hot Chilli sauce. They don't have get a wriggle on.

Scout 'survival camp' when I was fourteen we were given a pint of maggots a pint of worms and a dozen eggs and told to make omlettes. Worm omelette is OK. Maggot omelette is decidedly cheesy.

A friend of mine once borrowed some fishing tackle. When he returned it he did not empty the maggots from the box. Of course they turned putrid and I accidently spilled the liquefied contents of the bait box over my Carlsborough cabs just before we went on a mini tour with the band. Loaded the speakers in the minibus...oh my God after twenty minutes we were choking to death. After two days cooped up in the van with them and no respite from them on stage they were accidentally exchanged with identical...yet fetid maggot juice free...Carlsborough Cabs of a rival band we played the next gig with. I did hear the rival band broke up that week over the smell of the drummers feet. Apparently they started smelling really bad since the last gig they played with us.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

Thanks! 

We hear good and bad stories about most other yards as I sure other yards hear about us. 

At the end of the day we are humans who are subjected to attitudes from others that sometimes grate. The vast majority of the time, we all get on fine and, mostly, when someone gets up our hooter, we can rise above it, smile and say, "yes, sir", "just be a moment, sir". 

But then there;s the occasional one who tells you that you told him to do something in a particular way that then totally buggers something up when you know that you said the complete opposite. You know you said the opposite because you know that the way that he has done something causes a four hour waste of your time and the fact that you've told hundreds of people over the last eight years the same damn thing. Then he utters "You don't know who I am" and you're ready to tie him to a mudweight and heave. This all after he complains about the upholstery being dirty and smelly (the very upholstery that is has not had any customers use it since its recent manufacture). 

Yep, I can relate to being rubbed up the wrong way and on this occasion, I am embarrassed to admit, I lost it with this Aussie who was simply abrasive from the start.

In general, being nice to someone, even when you feel aggrieved at something, is probably the best way of getting the solution you want. Sure, things go wrong and we are available to put things right. People have bad days, we all do. 

We often get people complaining about something at the end of their holiday that has not been reported prior. It is frustrating for everyone concerned as the customer has had an experience they found annoying or worse which has impacted negatively on their holiday. Additionally, we have to deal with something we were unaware of often on a turn around when time is short and this impacts the whole yard and could delay incoming customers. 

There was the customer who swore blind (at the end of his booking) that most of the cabin lights didn't work (but his children rebuked him buy saying that they were working last night and at other times). So, I walked on board, turn the light switches on and there's light and no problem. He's simply not seen the standard light switch on the entrance to the rooms (how this is possible remains a mystery). He complains about having to check the oil, header tank and filters every day and justifies this comment by telling me he works with jet aircraft engines as though they are in some way related to a 1960s designed 35hp pushrod diesel engine. He complains about a particularly nasty storm managing to get through a window and wetting a bed. Sorry, but I can't stop horizontal rain. There was absolutely nothing wrong with his boat, but as he had endured multiple concerns without ever calling us to get clarification or solutions, we wasn't happy. In his head, we had provided a rubbish boat. In our opinion, he made one mistake - he failed to call us. One call about the lights and the problem is fixed; the other issues simply gave him ammunition for the non-problem about the lights which started off his unfortunate experience. 

So, if any hirer experiences a problem, they MUST call the yard to inform them. Indeed, it is also vital the READ the skippers handbook  (we provide it by email with your booking documents). Informing the yard of a problem or concern is vital. A constantly running bilge pump is an indication of a fault - either the float switch is stuck (in which case, the pump may overheat and seize, flow a fuse and be useless should there be a need for it later) or there is water coming in causing the float switch to rise and pump away excessive water). Neither of these two scenarios is desirable; both potentially dangerous. Now, a customer may argue that they are not to know the significance of things. I  agree, which is why, if you have a concern, report it to those that do know the importance either to put your mind at rest or to attend and inspect/fix.  

We might also expect a customer to point out that there shouldn't be a fault in the first place. I can't disagree, but the world of mechanics, electrics, engineering and so on are influenced by factors beyond our reasonable control. Communication is the key to a solution in all cases. None of us are psychic and those that claim to be are often anything but. 

At base level, Freedom and other boat yards are selling memories. We want your memory to be a great one so that you come back for more great memories. 

I feel your pain!!!

In a totally different environment, I was self employed for 20 years. And as most are decent people , there is a large % of the public who seem to be there just to p:$h you off. You will never please all the people all the time. Some people seem to get a perverse pleasure form being rude and arrogant. 

Once paid , I often found the fingers on ear , with tongue out giving it lalalalalalalalala works a treat.

Unadvisable I reluctantly accept, but hugely satisfying '!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Put a smaller maggot box in a bigger one so if the little sods escape then hopefully they won't get out twice. I speak with experience as I once returned home to find the family up in arms and the inside walls of the fridge alive with climbing maggots. 

Oh I can top JM when we had Clacton Angling Centre we had a delivery of about 80 gallons yes 80 gallons of maggots on June 13th ready for the glorious 16th, that was when we had a close season country wide. We walked into the shop about 6.30am on the 15th to be greeted with maggots walking not only the walls but the ceiling as well. Over night the cold room had broken down, you think the door seals are good as only been renewed in the winter before, but the little buggers got out. In fact there was only mixed maggots for that start of the season.

Any way for weeks after we was greeted with a black haze every morning when we opened up, but also the tattooist who backed onto us (solid walls etc between) came in one morning and said every morning just lately im finding 100's of blue bottles in my shop have you had this problem. I said tongue in cheek no but then we open up at 7am and you open up at 10.30am maybe its some thing to do with times.... The next day he came in at 9am and said still the same, i'll have to report it, me gulps, but by the time the council got round to going to look the maggots had finished there life cycle.

Charlie   :broadscot

• Like 3

We are a strange lot -  Read Silverline - content - discussion on maggots.

Well  to carry on the trend,  I will tell a sad but true tale which happened recently.       In November we buried our Mum, at the little service prior to the interment we were asked prior to the day  to give the Vicar any thoughts we would like to add.   To my surprise my eldest son (50) had asked the Vicar to read out some thoughts and at the end came one big confession.  It read that I have to confess now Nan , do you remember the time when you had all of those blue bottles in your home ,well it was my fault as I had accidentally let some of my maggots escape and I could not get them all back in the bait box.        We all laughed , it lightened a sad time.       It happened when he was about 15.     

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Gracie said:

Dave, don't you start, I'm on the brink of giving up fishing and taking up golf and I hate golf :cry Maggots in the fridge, maggots in the mouth and maggots in wounds, I feel a very bad horror movie is in the making lol and people moan about them in the bilges.....as for worms, don't start me on worms :facepalm:

Grace

Hi Grace,

When ever I think of worms up come this rhyme we used to say as kids.

Nobody likes me,
Everybody hates me,
Guess I'll go eat worms,

Long, thin, slimy ones,
Short, fat, juicy ones,
Itsy, bitsy, fuzzy wuzzy worms.

Down goes the first one,
Down goes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm.

Up comes the first one,
Up comes the second one,
Oh how they wiggle and squirm.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bound2Please said:

Oh I can top JM when we had Clacton Angling Centre we had a delivery of about 80 gallons yes 80 gallons of maggots on June 13th ready for the glorious 16th, that was when we had a close season country wide. We walked into the shop about 6.30am on the 15th to be greeted with maggots walking not only the walls but the ceiling as well. Over night the cold room had broken down, you think the door seals are good as only been renewed in the winter before, but the little buggers got out. In fact there was only mixed maggots for that start of the season.

Any way for weeks after we was greeted with a black haze every morning when we opened up, but also the tattooist who backed onto us (solid walls etc between) came in one morning and said every morning just lately im finding 100's of blue bottles in my shop have you had this problem. I said tongue in cheek no but then we open up at 7am and you open up at 10.30am maybe its some thing to do with times.... The next day he came in at 9am and said still the same, i'll have to report it, me gulps, but by the time the council got round to going to look the maggots had finished there life cycle.

Charlie   :broadscot

Charlie, double if not treble boxes could have saved the day!

• Like 1

As a kid I used be obsessed with worms. Couldn't collect enough. 

One day I needed somewhere to keep them so thought the cutlery drawer in the sideboard would do. Until my sister got the cutlery out for dinner!!!!

worms were banned from then on!!!!

as for maggots in fridges. Has to be done. However when I was about 12 my mate had ownership of the maggots overnight. His mum thought if they last longer in the fridge, they would last ages in the freezer. We had a tub of dead frozen maggots that just floated - not amused!!!!!cheers

my wife is still not convinced about them being in the fridge. As mentioned before the gas locker ends up being the maggot store. Although rarely use them nowadays. 

• Like 2