Silverline

NorfolkNog

U hope people don`t mind, but i`m going to bring this thread back on topic.

I`ve always admired Silverlines boats, and have evn considered hiring from them. However, i have heard from a very reliable Norfolk gentleman that although the boats always look amazing, the family are not very nice to deal with.  Also, when you look at their fleet, they may look very smart and clean, but most are far from new, but are priced at the higher end of the market.  Even though the boats may look nice, i`d much rather hire from a family run yard that always gives NEW hirers the same warm friendly greeting their regulars get,and the yards i`ve hired from that do that are Maffett Cruisers, Bridgecraft (even under extreme circumstances) and Summercraft.  We have been treated a bit icifferently by some yards that are no longer in buisness, and disgracefully by another, but that was 22 years ago, and is probably no longer relevent.

When paying a lot of money, expecially when on a tight budget, to recieve unwelcoming treatment on arrival is totally unacceptable. As a result of reading this thread, and the report i`d heard from a few years back, i`l never be hiring from Silverline, no matter how clean and smart their boats are.

As for Bridgecragy, the welcome we got ftom them was amazing when taking into account personal pressures on the family. A great yard with great boats.

• Like 1

Well no surprise Neil but I don't agree with most of what you say except your comments about Bridgecraft and Maffetts. The funny thing I always equate Maffetts and Silverline as very similar in total experience and that is with using both on more than one occasion. Both are efficient, both have beautifully presented boats and both are very friendly at least in my experience. The only difference is scale. Anyway you seemed to have plumped for Bridgecraft which is on my short list too and at least I have a better chance of getting the week I want with Silverline with one less punter in the run. It is funny though that we want the same things from a boatyard but have a completely differing opinion.

A very reliable Cheshire man. 

Fred

• Like 5

Neil, As I,ve never used the yard, I consider my view to be unbiased and that is that I'm afraid the problem is now totally in your court. There have been posts complaining about the yard, there have been posts praising it. I am in no doubt that if you were to receive the opinions of all the yards customers, nothing would change, there would still be opinions on both sides.

Ok, you might set op a poll, but how would you interpret the results? If for example you had a 75% / 25% split in the yards favour, would that 25% be enough to sway you away? Well that 'break point' would be down to you to decide.

Suffice to say, the yard has it's fans and it's dissatisfied customers. I would be amazed if that wasn't the case for any yard, so basically the choice is yours.

There is of course the slight possibility that you were already fully aware of this and that what you are really doing is putting the stick back in the wasp's nest to see if there's any more fun stirring to be done. But we both know you wouldn't do that... would you. :) 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Neil, As I,ve never used the yard, I consider my view to be unbiased and that is that I'm afraid the problem is now totally in your court. There have been posts complaining about the yard, there have been posts praising it. I am in no doubt that if you were to receive the opinions of all the yards customers, nothing would change, there would still be opinions on both sides.

Ok, you might set op a poll, but how would you interpret the results? If for example you had a 75% / 25% split in the yards favour, would that 25% be enough to sway you away? Well that 'break point' would be down to you to decide.

Suffice to say, the yard has it's fans and it's dissatisfied customers. I would be amazed if that wasn't the case for any yard, so basically the choice is yours.

There is of course the slight possibility that you were already fully aware of this and that what you are really doing is putting the stick back in the wasp's nest to see if there's any more fun stirring to be done. But we both know you wouldn't do that... would you. :) 

Having been caught out when hiring a holiday cottage in Horning last year where 100% were 5 stars , I think one expression was 'I thought I had died and gone to heaven' it gave you the impression that this was paradise personified, it was anything but and that is all I will say but you can read into it what you will.       It made you wonder if the reviews were all from relatives.    We have booked this year from Silverline and yes I have looked at their reviews and was comforted in seeing that it was a mixed bunch and that is good because that is how it really is in life.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

U hope people don`t mind, but i`m going to bring this thread back on topic.

I`ve always admired Silverlines boats, and have evn considered hiring from them. However, i have heard from a very reliable Norfolk gentleman that although the boats always look amazing, the family are not very nice to deal with.  Also, when you look at their fleet, they may look very smart and clean, but most are far from new, but are priced at the higher end of the market.

But others have quite possibly heard from other very reliable broadsmen that the family are the best going to deal with.

So its hearsay your going by not facts that you have experienced first hand. Why knock a business you have never had any dealings with?.

Charlie :broadscot

• Like 7

Sorry, Eric, I've got to give it my (last) say:

"However, i have heard from a very reliable Norfolk gentleman that although the boats always look amazing, the family are not very nice to deal with".

Neil, your comment is purely hearsay and may even be thought defamatory. We really don't need that at the moment, please.

So come on peeps, let's follow Eric's excellent advice.

• Like 8

Iv’e been reading this thread from the beginning, even when it started on the other thread….

My experience with them has been very positive. Our first introduction to them was way back in 2009 when we hired Myth. It took us 2 years to get that boat as we never dreamed it would be booked so far in advance as over 12 months! When we arrived at the yard, there were cones across the yard from the shed with signs saying no access. I ventured to walk past them for a quick look as we had arrived early but Lesley came out telling me it was no entry as the sign said! OOPS I thought, got off on the wrong foot here. A few minutes later Robert came out and explained that it was to keep people out of the way whilst they prepared the boats for the next customers and so they wouldn’t trip up on any cabling and hoses during this time. Fair enough I thought.

When we were informed by Lesley that the boat was ready, she again explained the reason and adding that the turn-around was quicker without the customers wandering around the area. I saw the logic behind that and held no animosity towards her.

Robert was to do the handover for us and after the usual show-you-round, I was asked if I had experience before, and this he accepted and we were on our way with no river trial run.

A couple of years later, we had a problem with the new heating on our own boat and Tom from JPC said he would fix it for us. I rang Lesley from our mooring in Wroxham explaining what needed doing and could we moor at their yard? (JPC don’t have a mooring area) “No problem”.

We arrived and were greeted by Colin, who knew why we were there without asking, and said we could stay all day and overnight if we wanted. Tom came and spent about 4 hours fixing the heating  and didn’t charge us a penny! (He sold the heating to the yard that fitted it for us) We had several chats with Colin and other staff whilst there and there was no problem whatsoever. When we were ready to leave, I asked if there was a charge for the mooring and was told no but I did leave a tenner in the staff ‘biscuit tin’.

Friends of ours hire Mystique from them every 2 years and have nothing but praise for the entire staff. (They are on it again this June)

Just my take on the yard and all the staff.

• Like 7

Some of you might remember Alec Hampton of Safari Cruisers/Hampton Boats of Oulton Broad. Alec was nothing if not outspoken and sometimes quite direct. He also took a great pride in his boats, was even quite possessive towards his fleet. If a customer's face did not fit, or if Alec feared for his boat, then he would unhesitatingly express his opinion, was even known to refuse to hand over a boat. Clearly Alec had some far from pleased customers but on the other hand others were keen to book from Alec knowing full well that his boats were well cared for. Alec was hugely respected by those who regularly booked from him and he had an enviable and loyal customer base, despite having upset a few! Seemingly Alec tended to choose his customers rather than his customers choose Alec! Because Alec's boats were pampered he always had a waiting list for when he sold boats off. Got to say it, there are some yards from whom I would never consider buying an ex hireboat.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, Labrador said:

We got a right b******ING when we moored Forresters dinghy in Broadsway many years ago, one Oulton week, to go to the Commodore. The problem? we hadn't asked. Sweet as pie after that every year.

On top of that Peter (Cooper) had more boats than space, relying on his neigbours, e.g. the yard with which I was involved, on turn around days. Peter also had to be careful which RCC crew he allowed over his yard, he had a daughter to protect. Not sure that Ladybird ever moored there, rampant lot!

Im indoors is home this afternoon on account that he has man flu (a cold to us womenfolk :rolleyes:) I showed him JM's post and through a bout of sniffling and sneezing he piped up

"I hope JM doesn't live too far from A&E"

Take control over womenfolk indeed, I laughed and laughed and laughed :naughty:

Grace

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

On top of that Peter (Cooper) had more boats than space, relying on his neigbours, e.g. the yard with which I was involved, on turn around days. 

Which was that, Commadore, Newsons? There seemed to be so many down in that corner.