Hemsby Life Boat

JennyMorgan

Ian, Hi. Here's their latest newsletter and details of how to donate:

First draft plans for the refurbished Lifeboat station are now underway to future proof the service for the next 20-40 years. Preliminary planning is already advanced with the architects and we hope to go to planning by the end of the year. The crew are fundraising at every given day hoping that we will be able to fund the £300,000 project within 2 two years.

The need for the refurbishment is to enable the service to upgrade its Inshore Lifeboat and launching vehicle to meet the demanding safety regulations facing the service by supporting and reflecting the professionalism of the crew

This exciting project will also serve as a community hub for water safety training and education for local schools and businesses

Hemsby Lifeboat was formed as a voluntary independent lifeboat service 40 years ago, and are not part of the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) nor do we receive any funding from them or the Government even though we provide the same service, and are all governed by HM Coastguard as part of UKSAR

None of our volunteers receive any remuneration, and we depend entirely on the generosity of the public to keep this vital service afloat 

If any businesses or members of the public are interested in sponsoring or donating, and be part of this vital lifesaving project please contact: 
Dan Hurd (Coxswain) on 07717 577575

We are looking at a completion date for the refurbished station to be in the summer of 2018

Thanks guys, Friday was a long night as we prepared for the surge, then after we left a crew at the station all night on request of Coastguard in preparation for the broads. 

Past history told us that the council and Watkins (owners of the beach) would take months to make the area safe so our Coxswain arranged for plant to be delivered and the crew had the place sorted by Sunday.

• Like 9

What does it really cost to call out the lifeboat to say a rescue of crew on a boat in the mud on Breydon?

Even though time is given voluntarily, there is a material cost, wear and tear etc

Ok you can't put a cost on saving a life, but if a crew being rescued slipped you a tenner, to me it would be an insult. 

Are we talking £50-100 more possibly.

If more people were aware of the true cost, would they take greater care, and read the instructions. 

If I donated say £50 I would hate to think it subsidised some one who was simply negligent or misinformed.

1 hour ago, SEAMASTER said:

A bit of a silly question I'm going to ask. Why isn't the lifeboat under the RNLI control ?. 

RNLI had a boat at Oulton Broad for several years. Not exactly a central location and perhaps an illogical choice when you consider they have a station at Gorleston-on-Sea that serves Breydon. Only my opinion but I don't think that the RNLI has ever grasped the difference between the open sea and the Broads whilst the lads at Hemsby have. Especially since the Coast Guard has been centralised we have lost, to a degree, that local touch and both Hemsby & Caister have stepped in and provided it. Hemsby, once again in my opinion, has filled the gap that the RNLI doesn't cover. No criticism of the RNLI, just that there is room for both & Hemsby is to be congratulated for taking on the Broads as it has. So often the rescue services offered by 'enthusiasts' is just an extension of their hobby & the public is being asked to fund it but in the case of Hemsby I firmly believe they have justified themselves and deserve our support. 

• Like 9

Anyone know what's happened to the Hemsby Lifeboat web site?

It used to have a donation page and loads of information but now seems that the server is unavailable, I've tried pm'ing Hemsby Pie but not had a reply yet.

I get links to Facebook but many people (me included) won't use that

2 hours ago, Viking23 said:

What does it really cost to call out the lifeboat to say a rescue of crew on a boat in the mud on Breydon?

Even though time is given voluntarily, there is a material cost, wear and tear etc

Ok you can't put a cost on saving a life, but if a crew being rescued slipped you a tenner, to me it would be an insult. 

Are we talking £50-100 more possibly.

If more people were aware of the true cost, would they take greater care, and read the instructions. 

If I donated say £50 I would hate to think it subsidised some one who was simply negligent or misinformed.

When I got towed in from the wash by skegness lifeboat the cox of the lifeboat got given £50 and told "this is not a donation, it's to get the crew a beer when you get back", I donated £100 online when I got home, they were happy as they were out on exercises with an inspector onboard so came and helped me out instead.

It was a pan pan BTW not a mayday.....

• Like 2

On 19/01/2017 at 7:20 AM, Viking23 said:

Worked out over the 10 year serviceable life of a boat / launch vehicle (talking out broads boat here) the average launch costs £255.

This includes buying the boat, service, repairs, fuel, equipment etc...

Thats based on launching once a week either on service or on training which is fairly realistic.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2017 at 9:04 AM, deebee29 said:

Anyone know what's happened to the Hemsby Lifeboat web site?

It used to have a donation page and loads of information but now seems that the server is unavailable, I've tried pm'ing Hemsby Pie but not had a reply yet.

I get links to Facebook but many people (me included) won't use that

Apologies, I did get the message I am just waiting to hear from the Cox - I believe we have a Paypal account. 

The webisye was taken down as our usual guy who maintained it left, it will hopefully reappear soon!

• Like 3

On 19/01/2017 at 6:43 AM, SEAMASTER said:

A bit of a silly question I'm going to ask. Why isn't the lifeboat under the RNLI control ?. 

Not a silly question at all.

we have always been an independent station; there are around 60 in the UK I believe? Both of our flanking stations are also independent as a Mundsley (I think?)

RNLI will place a station where they see a strategic benefit. As our section of the North Sea and the North broads are covered there is no need for them to have a station here. 

We have a great working relationship with our flanking RNLI stations (Happisburgh & Gorleston). It would be nice to have their budget!!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, HemsbyPie said:

Not a silly question at all.

we have always been an independent station; there are around 60 in the UK I believe? Both of our flanking stations are also independent as a Mundsley (I think?)

RNLI will place a station where they see a strategic benefit. As our section of the North Sea and the North broads are covered there is no need for them to have a station here. 

We have a great working relationship with our flanking RNLI stations (Happisburgh & Gorleston). It would be nice to have their budget!!

Thank you for that. I did wonder. You guys do a great job out there.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/01/2017 at 9:08 AM, Jonzo said:

If we can help with the website, let us know.

Afternoon Jonzo, apologies only just seen this! All support is of course welcome in any form. Maybe a section in the next few months for broads related incidents? Things are quiet at the moment but silly season is just around the corner...

• Like 2

What a brilliant idea, with photos I hope :naughty: Seriously though, if it does happen we mustn't let it become a thread where boaters are ridiculed for their mishaps, highly unlikely on this forum, I would have thought

I just hate it when you see people who have ended up on the Breydon mud or stuck under a bridge, embarrassing enough without others sticking their oar in

Grace

p,s No, I haven't done any of the above lol

• Like 2