Used Outboards In Norfolk And Suffolk?

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone might know a few places that sell used outboards in the Norfolk, Suffolk area.

So far I've had no luck finding anything. I'm looking for a 15-30hp short shaft electric start with remote. The budget is £800- £1500 depending in condition.

I've been browsing Gumtree and eBay for a couple months with no luck. I've checked Norfolk Marine and bridge stores so far.

Thanks in advance Branden :)

I went to a well known and popular second hand outlet whilst looking for an outboard. Bloke was arrogant and quoting ridiculous prices. I ended up at a Wroxham/Hoveton chandlers and came away with a brand new engine for £200.00 more than the knackered old ones that I had been quoted for second hand an hour earlier. £200.00 well spent in my opinion. Moral of the story, second hand might not be as cheap as you would hope for. A spot of research won't go amiss.

• Like 4

It would be around £2500 to £3000 for a new outboard which is way too much to put on a boat like mine.

I've sent John a friend request on Facebook as he's always advertising engines but Never puts a price on the picture. Even when people request a price he always replies to come down and have a look. I'd like a rough idea of price before I make the journey. Branden 

16 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Errrr. Why not ring him? And his name is Jon without the 'H'.

I've gone the Facebook route as if he has any in, he may be able to send me photos so I can see the condition before going to wayford. Either way I'll head there eventually, but I went there last year to buy a boat which turned out to be too much of a project for me. If I'd of been able to see photos I wouldn't of made the trip. Branden

35 minutes ago, brandenjg said:

He's been in touch and nothing in my price range :/

But would be able to afford a long shaft electric start outboard? Never understood why short shafts cost more used.

Looks like I'll have to hold out and see what comes up online.

Simple bit of supply and demand there, there is a bigger demand for short shaft and that demand pushes the price up.  

Be really careful of 2nd hand outboards, always ask why? why is it not still on the back of the boat, not many people change an outboard because they want a new one, its usually because the old one is getting a bit long in the tooth, a bit unreliable or they sunk/damaged it and want shot.  Oh and not forgetting those that are selling because they just nicked it!

Always run the engine number past the boys in blue, they're happy to check if its reported stolen, cant find a plate then look for a core plug on the engine with the number stamped on it.

Lastly call Toby Cox 07788598789 he might have something he has rebuilt.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brandenjg said:

My logic (which is normally illogical) is that the companies would build more short shafts as they're more popular which would make the price of long shafts more as they would be harder to acquire as there would be less available.

Plenty enough new ones are made to satisfy market demand, but more short shafts are used, and used on boats where they can get damaged, blown up or stolen, boats like speed boats and smaller trailerable craft.   The manufacturers do not make 2nd hand engines to satisfy a 2nd hand market.  So you have boats with i higher engine turnover but the less engines surviving to become 2nd hand.   Or simply put your left buying one of the few overpriced 2nd hand units or biting the bullet to buy a new one.

On a budget get a chinese one and wrap it in cotton wool. New they're cheap, 2nd cheap as chips plus theif know they have less value so are less likely to steal it.

On the subject of thieves, do use the Police engine cover bag, but also putting 'Parsun' decals on will make any engine look less desirable. 

• Like 1

Just curious, Branden, but what sized boat do you have? I use a 3.5 sail-drive to push along a 28' sailing cruiser. Don't forget that there is a speed limit on the Broads!  I also use the same engine on a 21' when she goes to sea. No need to waste horse power if you don't need them.

I have a 19ft dawncraft,  picture a rectangle floating block and that's essentially the shape of my boat. I always go the speed limit as have apps running to track speed.

I currently have a 20hp fitted which is perfect as having a few more mph available means I dont have to run the engine full throttle to fight tides and wind.

The reason behind wanting a new outboard is my last journey to Oulton broad resulted in me being pushed into moored boats as the engine cut out.

The time it took me to open the engine bay and get the outboard pull started a crash was inevitable. If I had an electric start I could of kept an eye on the moored boats whilst push starting engine. If it didn't start I could of jumped out grabbed hold of another boat long enough to secure the boat.

Branden 

24 minutes ago, MBA Marine said:

Two mud weights would have held your position whilst you tended your outboard with a panic or a crash.

Very true but 1 mud weight is on the front of the boat and the others in the engine bay. They would of took longer to deploy than it took to start the engine.

I've took your advice and bit the bullet. Got a new Honda ordered and should be here in the next few weeks.

Atleast by the sounds of things as it's a short shaft it should hold its value :naughty:

Thanks for the advice everyone in steering me towards buying new and avoiding what could of been an expensive mistake buying used.

branden :D

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, brandenjg said:

Very true but 1 mud weight is on the front of the boat and the others in the engine bay. They would of took longer to deploy than it took to start the engine.

I've took your advice and bit the bullet. Got a new Honda ordered and should be here in the next few weeks.

Atleast by the sounds of things as it's a short shaft it should hold its value :naughty:

Thanks for the advice everyone in steering me towards buying new and avoiding what could of been an expensive mistake buying used.

branden :D

Next bit of advice, for the full length of it its full warranty only have it serviced by people on Honda's service register, otherwise your warranty will be for a reduced term.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, grendel said:

just mention the cost to replace if its left outside and stolen, and you will have trouble taking it back out of the kitchen

This reminds me of something I overheard in hoopers in Norwich. The chap was saying how his wife wanted him to take the deactivated bomb he had bought online out of there living room and get rid of it. His response was it cost over 5k and he'd sooner get rid of her.

1 hour ago, ZimbiIV said:

Just tell her it's a new food mixer.

paul

I do all the cooking so she'd probably still moan.

She's agreed it can stay in the kitchen as I suggested I'd have to keep it in the bedroom as it's Warmer there and engines don't like the cold.

• Like 2